The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 25, 2013, 08:46 PM   #1
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Disassembling A Deer

I gotta say that the guy's quick!

https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/cLXJ5hUeFYk

It's a different deal when you're miles from anywhere and don't have running water in quantity or a garbage service.
Old November 25, 2013, 09:45 PM   #2
JMP

pretty impressive

My wife does all the dirty work for me and prides herself on her speed. Two years ago I timed her in the field and gutted from esophagus to anus, and skinned - eight minutes six seconds. We've timed her a few times and that was her best. When she's not rushing it's still only about double that. I have to cut the legs and head off though - she hates the sound of sawing bone.

It really is nice doing all that in the field and coming home with just meat.

When my dad was still alive, she showed a lot of interest in that part of the hunt so he spent time teaching her and bought her her own knives. She uses Knives of Alaska and they are worth every penny in my opinion. I've bought her a few more because whatever they cost, they're worth it for the work I get out of.

Aaaaand..... she's a vegetarian.
Old November 25, 2013, 09:51 PM   #3

Seen that already.......that guy is freak'in amazing.

My best in the field is 3:57 as timed by my son.......but that's just gutted.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 25, 2013, 10:39 PM   #4
huntinaz

Damn. Takes all the fun out of it!

Of course, it may very well be extremely fun to get it done in 2 minutes. I will never know
Old November 25, 2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Sure Shot Mc Gee

You can bet that was a pen'ed up freshly killed animal. Take notice no hole/s seen or blood shot areas. Being a farmed raised animal no cold weather hide to deal with. I couldn't do that type of skinning & gutting even if I wanted too. I field dress mine on the ground first thing. Then worry about its hide removal later. But I have to give credit to the young man. No doubt about it. He is fast.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:55 AM   #6
shortwave

I'd say that this fella has been around the block a time or ten when it comes to skinning/gutting. Bet he can work one up just as well.

Quote:
I field dress mine on the ground first thing
Same here S.S.

Scavengers gotta eat too.
Old November 26, 2013, 11:08 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Early on in the film, looking down toward the shoulder area after the hide is peeled back, it looks like the deer was shot in or near a shoulder. Sorta messy at the base of the neck and behind it.
Old November 26, 2013, 11:17 AM   #8
shortwave

Quote:
Early on in the film, looking down toward the shoulder area after the hide is peeled back, it looks like the deer was shot in or near a shoulder.
Yes, on the right side shoulder as you're watching the film.
Old November 26, 2013, 12:35 PM   #9
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Na!! You guys are seeing things. I'm turning my Bifocals upside-down for a better look see.> Aah!! He just scalped it a litt'l too close is all._
Old November 26, 2013, 01:20 PM   #10
shortwave

S.S.

How the heck did you ever make that beautiful 150yd shot on that big doe this year and can't see the hole in the deer on your computer screen?
Old November 26, 2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Oh there. Yea!! That 22 hole. My mistake. Here I thought that was a Georgia Gnat bite y'all._

Come on shortwave. You know that shot I made on that doe was_"Luck of the Irish"_
Old November 26, 2013, 07:59 PM   #12
Panfisher

It would take me more than a 1 minute and 48 seconds to count the cuts in my fingers if I tried that method at that speed. Methinks that not he first time in a skinning room.
Old November 26, 2013, 08:45 PM   #13
shortwave

Quote:
Come on shortwave. You know that shot I made on that doe was_"Luck of the Irish
I seriously doubt luck had anything to do with it SS.

Now... you mighta celebrated with some Irish 'liquid' whilst you was standin beside that doe in the pic. thinkin how good those tenderloins were gonna taste.

Quote:
It would take me more than a 1 minute and 48 seconds to count the cuts in my fingers if I tried that method at that speed.
I'm with ya on that one Panfisher.
I would have probably thrown my back out when I tossed the guts into the barrel like he did.

Anyone know why he made the two incisions halfway down between the ribs towards the end of the clip? Maybe for hangin in future processing??

Last edited by shortwave; November 26, 2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old November 26, 2013, 09:48 PM   #14

I did notice that he threw the flank steaks off that fresh kill right in the trash.......boys and girls, that's burger.

Did you notice the steam?....that was fresh.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old November 26, 2013, 10:54 PM   #15
shortwave

Quote:
Did you notice the steam?....that was fresh.
Yes, you could tell the way it skinned that it was a fresh kill.
Old November 27, 2013, 12:46 AM   #16
Sure Shot Mc Gee

[QUOTE Now... you mighta celebrated with some Irish 'liquid' whilst you was standin beside that doe in the pic QUOTE] No!! too cold that morning for any warmer-upper's Sir. Needed to get my deer skinned & quartered as quick as possible. As she was the second deer hung on that same gamble skinned & quartered by me that morning.
But I did have a bit of Jameson along for medicinal purposes that never made the trip back home with me._
As far as her tender loins. There long gone Sir. I fried them up with our eggs every morning and once with the two hearts we had. Gee's all of it was so good.
Old November 27, 2013, 06:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Did you notice the steam?....that was fresh

Wow, I'm a smart one..........it better be fresh it still had the guts in it.

Does anyone else think that's weird? I have never gutted a deer indoors and most of the time I getter did right where they lay.

Old November 27, 2013, 08:29 AM   #18
shortwave

[QUOTE][But I did have a bit of Jameson along for medicinal purposes that never made the trip back home with me._
/QUOTE]

Always good to have a properly stocked medical kit with ya at camp.

Quote:
As far as her tender loins. There long gone Sir. I fried them up with our eggs every morning and once with the two hearts we had
Eggs ,deer tenderloin and heart for breakfast... a day spent hunting afield and time spent in the evening amongst those that mean something to ya along with a nip of Jameson to warm ya up ...sounds like you have it goin on and are livin the dream. Glad for ya.

Quote:
Does anyone else think that's weird? I have never gutted a deer indoors and most of the time I getter did right where they lay
I gut my deer in the field as well. But if a guy was set up to kill a deer, had an ATV to drag deer out(I'm not dragging a gut filled deer by hand anywhere) and immediately start processing, I don't see anything weird about it. I've considered doing the same thing with deer shot here at the house but haven't yet. Guess old habits are hard to break.
Old November 28, 2013, 10:24 AM   #19
cnimrod

dang

Anyone else cringe thinking he was gonna cut his fingers off without even knowing it.

I have taken to hanging my deer by the hind legs to field dress it- saves the back and gravity helps a lot.

Good luck all
C
Old November 28, 2013, 12:28 PM   #20
Sure Shot Mc Gee

My father did his butchering the same way as seen here. Me?_ I went another way just to be different. I hung mine by their head. Did a few in front of my Dear Ol' Daddy while daddy was shaking head in disappointment and saying_" Your learn Sonny or >worse!!"_ As I recall by the time I got their hide down past its hams there was so much hair to pick off those hams it looked like the animal developed a second hide while hanging on that gamble. Spent more time picking hair then actually skinning or the gutting time combined.
Last years skinning technique was the "Golf Ball Pull." I believe that 454 in my chevy was a bit too much engine for that de-hidding exercise. {it tore both front shoulders off my Y buck} This year I'm back doing it the way the Ol' Man taught me. (Simple but effective.) _"50 years later Yup!! I've learned pops."

One tip I'll pass to others: When making knife cuts on the hide. Make your cuts from the under-side of the hide outwards. Reason too: Cuts down on the amount of loose hair that somehow ends up all over the animals meat and its butcher also.
Old November 28, 2013, 12:46 PM   #21
buck460XVR

The amount of hair flyin' all over the carcass, plus the stickin' the knife indiscriminately into the rear hams as a convenient place to empty his hands was not that impressive. More of a thing folks do when they won't be eatin' the meat.
Old November 28, 2013, 12:58 PM   #22
BirchOrr

Quote:
Anyone know why he made the two incisions halfway down between the ribs towards the end of the clip? Maybe for hangin in future processing??
I noticed that too. "Handles" of sorts to pick up the carcass with. Great idea!

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old November 28, 2013, 01:08 PM   #23
MarkCO

That is impressive. Not a fan of him sticking the knife in the hams though.

I did a Pronghorn hung up in about 5 minutes, gut and skin. When they are warm, and you have good tools, SO much easier.

It used to take me 10 hours to skin and butcher (deboned, wrapped in the freezer) an elk by myself. Got better knives, cut down the time a lot. Now I can do it in about 4 hours. But I have a processing station with the ability to hang 5 animals in my garage. Takes me about 2 hours to do a deer if I stick to it.
Old November 29, 2013, 07:35 AM   #24
Roaddog

A little vinegar on a rag will take the hair off your game.

Last edited by Roaddog; November 30, 2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old November 29, 2013, 09:39 AM   #25
Panfisher

I am lazy, generally I field dress a couple hundred yards from the house and then, skin & quarter etc. right next to the water hydrant in my yard, a quick hosing with water does wonders form hair and bloody spots. But I am lucky that I can do it at my house. I almost always field dress on the ground, don't like the guts pushing out when I am try to split the cavity open, however I have done hogs that way, skin them lying on their back and open the body cavity to where just a membrane is holding everything in, then when hanging up stick my finger in and give it a downward rip and it falls out nicely. I've never timed myself in skinning or gutting and don't plan to, I'll happily take my time, stopping to get a fresh chew of Redman (Which is the real reason to wear rubber gloves when gutting or using the non-flush facilities in the woods) and maybe straighten up to let my back rest occasionally.