The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 11:05 PM   #26
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I seem to remember reading that it is impossible to hit anything firing double action. Maybe not true?
I think MrBorland's targets handily put that to rest (and do they!). Most of Ed McGivern's incredible feats were done in double action.

Once I got the hang of double action, I never bothered with single action, and I'm actually more consistent. I think it comes from the fact that I don't have to shift my grip between shots.

MrBorland: your thumb placement is unusual for a wheelgun. Does the cylinder latch ever catch your strong thumb under recoil?

Oh, and full-lug Smiths? That's a fad.
Old October 7, 2012, 07:11 AM   #27
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
MrBorland: your thumb placement is unusual for a wheelgun. Does the cylinder latch ever catch your strong thumb under recoil?
Thanks, Tom. My thumbs are actually off the gun, so catching the cylinder latch isn't a problem. Thumbs do little for one's grip, so they're an unnecessary contact point you'd otherwise have to apply consistently for best accuracy.

And just to stay on topic, here are my full lug match 686s:

Old October 7, 2012, 10:26 AM   #28
pete2

I have a 586, 686 and a 625. All 4" guns, love them for shooting, the lug adds weight to them that is great for D/A shooting. I also have a 6" 17, it weighs a ton. Great for shooting with both hands but I gotta do some weight training before I can use it with one hand. I wish I had a 4" 17, guess it's on the list.

Note: for a holster gun I'll take a 15 or a 19.
Old October 7, 2012, 10:25 PM   #29
Black_Sheep

I have just one, a 5" Model 625-2.

Old October 7, 2012, 10:54 PM   #30
johnbt

"I wish I had a 4" 17"

Here's my 17-6.

And a 647.

I really don't notice much difference in the balance between the 647 (with the MicroDot) and the 17-4 I have with an 8.375" short lugged barrel (with a 2x Burris.)
Old October 9, 2012, 09:01 PM   #31
orionengnr

Quote:
I'd have to confess to be a besmircher.
Yep, another besmircher here.

I had a 4" 586 for a while. I really prefer blued revolvers, and it made me look good when shooting it.

But it always felt strange (nose-heavy) and I never really bonded with it, so it is long gone. My "inferior" M66 is still with me, and I am quite happy with that.

Last edited by orionengnr; October 9, 2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old October 10, 2012, 05:14 PM   #32
pete2

Model 66 isn't inferior. It's just different. I like my L frame guns and I also like my Model 15 and 19. The nose heavy guns work better for me in rapid fire.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:56 PM   #33
Jayhawkhuntclub

Bob:

I LOVE the lug!
I am a lug-lover and proud of it.
Old October 11, 2012, 05:27 PM   #34
DFrame

I LOVE that 625 3 inch. Would LOVE to get my hands on one.
Old October 11, 2012, 09:47 PM   #35
Malamute

Did Smith ever make a blued 357 L frame without the lug?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old October 13, 2012, 08:34 PM   #36
P-990

I confess, I'm not a big fan of the aesthetics of the full-lugs. (I believe I'm on record around here saying I wouldn't take a Colt Python unless given to me by a favored relative.) But geez, if it doesn't just work for shooting. My 4" L-frame 586 gives me two things: a grip small enough for my hands AND a revolver with enough weight to tame shooting .357s. Dressed up with some Ahrend's smooth combats in maple, it looks pretty sharp too....

I would love an N-frame .357 and almost bought a 28-2 at the LGS last month, but decided to buy a new bicycle instead. And an N-frame is really a bit big for me to manage quickly.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:26 AM   #37
rodfac

P-990, Geez, what a beautiful set of grips on that Smith of yours. Seems, of late, I've become a 'pale grip' lover. They set off the bluing perfectly. Good choice. Best Regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old October 14, 2012, 08:49 AM   #38
Scrumbag

I must admit I think it depends on the frame size and barrel length.

Now, could someone tell me why S&W aren't making the 386 .357 with only a shrouded ejector?

The thing's like 1/2 the weight of a 686. What's that little extra bit of Scandium which weights 3/4 of a fly's fart going to do? If going lightweight, why not all out light weight?

(Sorry, rant over).

ATB,

Scrummy
Old October 14, 2012, 09:43 AM   #39
Ozzieman

Under the "Pinned Barrel...." thread, a couple of misguided souls attempted to besmirch the beauty of such a set up

Well Bob, all I can say to those that besmirched such beauty must find Lady Gaga lovely along with Glocks, where as you and I probably prefer loveliness such as Marilyn Monroe or Raquel Welch and N frames Smiths.
The photo attached shows the smooth curves of loveliness and the strong lean lines of a great looker.
Picked her up yesterday, she’s 24 and very nice to hold.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:22 AM   #40
Malamute

I quite agree on the fine looking lines of a 24 or 27. I think thats about as good as it gets in an N. The tapered barrels and shrouded extractor rod is the finest looking Smiths ever made to me. The finely checkered top of the 27's frame and barrel is particularly fine looking.

Funny, they dont have a lugged barrel though.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Last edited by Malamute; October 14, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old October 14, 2012, 11:40 AM   #41
DFrame

Gonna commit blasphemy here and say I think the N frame is far too big for 36 calibre. Sold my 27 years ago (just too heavy for the bore) and never looked back. I think the K or L is a far better choice for medium bores. I of course love the N frames in calibers that start with 4. As for full lugs? I like them, especially on my 3 inch model 29
Old October 14, 2012, 01:01 PM   #42
Bob Wright

Dframe wrote:
Quote:
Gonna commit blasphemy here and say I think the N frame is far too big for 36 calibre. Sold my 27 years ago (just too heavy for the bore) and never looked back. I think the K or L is a far better choice for medium bores. I of course love the N frames in calibers that start with 4. As for full lugs? I like them, especially on my 3 inch model 29
Thank you, thank you, thank you! How many I've said that, I don't know. Finally someone here who agrees with something I've said!

Bob Wright
Old October 14, 2012, 04:31 PM   #43
Ozzieman

I like them, especially on my 3 inch model 29
YEP,, 629 also.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:05 PM   #44
540mope

Quote:
I LOVE that 625 3 inch. Would LOVE to get my hands on one.
Took a couple of years to find one at a 'reasonable' price, but they are out there. Perfect revolver... 3" 45 ACP...my personal favorite.