The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 2, 2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Stealff

Sellier & Bellot Primers anyone use/used them

I picked up a some of sellier & bellot's primers the other day just on principle.
Does anyone know which other brand of primers they are equivalant too as far as burn speed and heat ? they are Large Rifle Primers

Thanks
Jared
Old April 2, 2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Should be a standard large rifle primer, I think. Nobody publishes primer brissance numbers that I am aware of. Every maker seems to have their preferred mix of priming material and cup hardness. So, as with every component change you make in your reloading recipes, you'll want to knock your powder charges down 10% and work the loads back up watching for pressure signs.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 20, 2009, 11:29 AM   #3
K.W.

I never use S&B products!

S&B in Germany: Schlecht & Billig. In Englis it means: Bad & Cheap.
Old April 20, 2009, 03:12 PM   #4
James R. Burke

They should work good, but I would do just what Unclenick said.
Old April 21, 2009, 04:31 PM   #5
mv_myrx

I have found primer cup size problem

I reload 9mm and on the S&B cases that I have picked up at the range and tried to reload that the primer cup is 0.02 smaller than all others. That results in the mew primer (fed or Win) does not fully seat. Now as I cull through I toss the S&B. That said, you may have problems with the primers not seating or falling out if not going back into S&B brass.
Old April 21, 2009, 07:24 PM   #6
scsov509

Quote:
I reload 9mm and on the S&B cases that I have picked up at the range and tried to reload that the primer cup is 0.02 smaller than all others. That results in the mew primer (fed or Win) does not fully seat. Now as I cull through I toss the S&B. That said, you may have problems with the primers not seating or falling out if not going back into S&B brass.
S&B brass is known to have tight pockets, and those who've used S&B primers in S&B brass report that they experience the same difficulty. So I'd expect that there is no dimensional difference in the primer and that as long as you follow standard reloading practices (back the load down and work up) then you'll be fine.
Old April 21, 2009, 07:35 PM   #7
zxcvbob

S&B is good brass, if you can ever get a primer seated.

I just applied for a C&R license, and when it gets here the first thing I'm gonna purchase is a Dillon Super Swage (from Graf's, very nice discount) and see if reswaging the pockets fixes the problem. I have maybe a thousand S&B .38 Specials and a few hundred .357 Magnum cases, all clean & polished and deprimed.

I also like S&B .22LR ammo when i can find it, which is not often. It shoots good, and it smells funny when it burns (doesn't really stink, just weird) which is always good for a laff at the indoor range.