The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2011, 01:42 AM   #1
deepcore

Lyman Flash Hole Uniformer Tool question

I bought the Lyman Flash Hole Uniforming tool and have a question about adjusting it.

Instructions say: "...set your cutting length, slide the cone shaped adapter into the entrance of the case mouth. Leave a gap of .010" between the case mouth and cone shaped adapter. Tighten the adapter set screw. Your tool is now adjusted to deburee your cases"

How do I measure the .010" gap between the case mouth and the cone shaped adapter.

Want to deburr and want to make sure I don't enlarge the flash hole by mistake.
Old June 16, 2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Cruz5350

Just take a peek in there an make small adjustments. Use a light to see better.
Old June 16, 2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Tuzo

Set the cone to touch the case mouth and measure the distance (with caliper) between the cone top and handle ferrule. Subtract 0.010" and adjust the cone to the shorter distance.
Old June 16, 2011, 12:41 PM   #4
deepcore

Thanks!
Stupid question: is it possible to over deburr ( if there's such a thing)?
And if yes what happens?
Though the tool looks like a drill I think you'd really have to work at it to accidentally enlarge the flash hole. But I could be wrong about this too.
Old June 16, 2011, 01:13 PM   #5
jaguarxk120

The tool is actually a machinists center drill made with a long shank. The size is a #2 and the drill tip is about .080 inch. The 60 degree angle on the flutes removes any burrs on the flash hole. When using it all it takes is just a turn or two to remove any metal that causes a burr. That metal is left behind during the punching of the flash hole operation.

Note some cases have a drilled flash hole and donot need deburring. You also pay a lot more for the cases.