The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 13, 2009, 10:20 AM   #26
BlayGlock

I no longer own any semi-autos. I have had them: sigs, kahrs, rugers, walthers, beretta, bersa. I always go back to my revolvers. I just prefer them. My carry piece is a revolver and I dont feel "undergunned" by one bit, its not like I live in Gaza. I prefer the way they fell, and I must admit there is just something cool about them. Also there is nothing more intimidating than a big a$$ revolver leveled at you, maybe it just the Dirty Harry in us or John Wayne.

Stick with what you like and you can just sit back and smile when you outshoot all those semi-auto lovers.
Old February 13, 2009, 11:47 AM   #27
The Great Mahoo

Personally, I am a big fan of both.

It took a long time for me to come around to liking most revolvers. I grew up on autos and cowboy-style SA's. Most DA revolvers just looked clunky and didn't really appeal to me back then. I guess I figured if you wanted a revolver, go with the classic cowboy style. After a few years dabbling with various revolvers, I found myself wrapped up in them. However, it is on a gun-by-gun basis as to whether or not the looks appeal to me, but that is the way I am on auto's as well.

Nowadays, I own as many revolvers as autos. I have a couple of each I am considering selling, and a few of each I am considering buying I find I like the operation and feel of revolvers better, but I am just better with autos when it comes to shooting.

Is it wrong to like revolvers more? Absolutly not!
Old February 13, 2009, 11:50 AM   #28
armsmaster270

I like handguns either style works for me.
What I have

What I carry
Old February 13, 2009, 01:47 PM   #29
Texasjustice

Nothing is wrong, when it feels so right

Revolver or auto..... TOE-may-TOE or Ta-maat-ta...... who cares.... I love them all.... they are firearms......which at the present time are still legal for us sheepletons to own. I am a CITIZEN not a freakin' subject and those morons in d.c. best learn the difference.

Keep watching the "Fork-us-lotsa" packages from Kongress and Da'prez to have hidden little laws that will try to take our revolvers and autos away.

Texas Justice
Old February 13, 2009, 02:23 PM   #30
akr

I'm a big fan of revolvers, semi-autos, and shotguns....all good brands of course.
Armsmaster, you have a fine collection.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old February 13, 2009, 03:32 PM   #31
VonFireball

I don't much care for autos. I don't know if it's something from growing up, but we always shot revolvers, especially a lot of single actions, so that's what I'm used to and feel the most comfortable with. Semi's always make me feel like I'm shooting a typewriter.

Maybe part of it is the lack of thrill involved with auto cartridges. They don't have a lot of snort when compared to some of my favorite revolver rounds so I don't have as much fun with them.

Sometimes I wish I was an auto guy cause people leave a lot of 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 acp brass at the range. I could shoot for a lot cheaper if I dug autos. Cheaper brass, smaller and cheaper bullets, less powder.

But if I could only shoot semi auto handguns I probably wouldn't go to the range nearly as much.
Old February 13, 2009, 03:41 PM   #32
Jkwas

For me, Semi Auto's are all business but revolvers are FUN
Old February 13, 2009, 06:40 PM   #33
CraigC

Brass-shuckers are just a fad....it'll pass.
Old February 13, 2009, 08:32 PM   #34
stevieboy

For me, it's a question of control. With almost any revolver there's a moment during the double action trigger pull, an instant before let-off, where you can, with experience, feel the cylinder locking up. If you can feel that moment as you pull back on the trigger, then, the incremental pressure to let off the trigger is miniscule and you can assert total control over the shot. It's really hard to explain and I know I haven't done a great job of it, but I can "feel" the shot far better shooting double action with almost any revolver than I can with a semi-auto. It doesn't matter whether the semi- is sa or da, I can never get the "feel" with an semi-auto trigger that I can get with a revolver. As a result, I shoot revolvers much more accurately than I shoot semi-autos.
Old February 13, 2009, 09:48 PM   #35
bds32

I'm a converted revolver man. I doubt I'll ever go back. There are alot of reasons to love revolvers. I have to say that I enjoy shooting them more than I did semi's. It all comes down to what you enjoy and what you trust.
Old February 14, 2009, 12:11 PM   #36
PeterGunn

Quote:
mvh, The semi autos seem to be the handgun of choice for the Mall Ninjas and Sidewalk Commandos. I think as you do about the revolver. welcome to the forum. orchidhunter
Yet another chunck of wisdom from the great flower-killer.:barf:

As a mall ninja (at least according to orchid's standards) myself, there are times I do get "serious", lay the ninjaness aside and actually reach for a Ruger GP-100. I guess no one is perfect.

PeterGunn
Old February 14, 2009, 12:24 PM   #37
sserdlihc

You should not be ashamed of collecting and shooting what you enjoy!
Old February 14, 2009, 05:22 PM   #38
Whirlwind06

Yes you should be ashamed.
For penance you need to send me all of your revolvers and I will in turn will send you a Raven .25 and a Hi-point 9mm as punishment of your sin

Last edited by Whirlwind06; February 14, 2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old February 14, 2009, 05:31 PM   #39
dabigguns357

I have both revolvers and semi-auto's and even carry both,but there is no better feeling in your hand than a solid revolver being fired.They can more accurate,reliable,and more concealable than semi-auto's.
Old February 14, 2009, 06:00 PM   #40
BillCA

What was that famous line?
Never apologize, mister. It's a sign of weakness.
-Capt. Nathan Brittles in She wore a Yellow Ribbon

I'd never feel ashamed of favoring revolvers over bottom feeders. There is not a single self-shucker that has the pleasing aesthetics of a well made revolver.

Some autos may come close to attractive, but most are not as eye appealing. And shooting certain revolvers gives me a feeling of being connected to history.

Semiauto pistols do have their place. They are sometimes much more comfortable to carry. And in some situations, like a car trip across the west/southwest, where help can be a long time coming, a magazine fed gun makes a nice travelling companion.

But travel to places where the native fauna can and will happily take big bites of your tender carcass, no bottom feeder has nearly the power you want - without being huge and awkward.
Old February 15, 2009, 09:59 PM   #41
sheepman

You should use the gun type that works for you. Personally the revolver has a place as my house gun, keep it loaded with all the springs in a relaxed position. I like autos also for fire power and they will take a little more abuse but for really hi power loads, the revolver is king. Use either or both, but use what works for you not what some one else things you should use.--Bill
Old February 16, 2009, 12:05 AM   #42
2ndamd

Welcome to the club.

Have you ever wonder why is it that gun magazines always comment on a semi-auto's reliability but, never mention if a revolver was reliable? It is assumed that the revolver is always reliable. With an auto it denpends on alot of factors to include the ammo being used.
Old February 16, 2009, 01:18 PM   #43
Wyn

I like revolvers also. however I always feel like I am in the minority when I go to the gun store and everyone else is looking at the semi-autos and I am the only person looking at the revolvers. I would like to buy a nice revolver as my next gun but there is always the nagging concern that i may be buying old technology and that I will regret it later. I am glad to see there are others out there who also like revolvers.
Old February 16, 2009, 01:32 PM   #44
The Great Mahoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyn
I would like to buy a nice revolver as my next gun but there is always the nagging concern that i may be buying old technology and that I will regret it later.
Ever wonder why that 'old technology' is still around after so long?
Old February 16, 2009, 03:12 PM   #45
mrghostwalker

Ashamed?

Yes, you should feel VERY ashamed!!!! And now you should take that revolver of yours and go to the range and shoot a box or two of ammo until the feeling goes away!
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Old February 16, 2009, 05:05 PM   #46
BlayGlock

I would like to buy a nice revolver as my next gun but there is always the nagging co

Wyn

I have heard this some many times from so many people, but the truth is both semi-auto pistols with detachable mags and double-action revolvers achieved popularity around the same time.
The first automatic pistol was created by Joseph Laumann in 1892. But the Borchardt pistol of 1893 was the first automatic with a separate magazine in the grip, and this remains the defining feature of the breed. More automatics came in rapid succession, including Browning, Luger, Mauser, and Colt models. By the turn of the century, just 8 years after Laumann, automatics were firmly established.
The earliest double action I could find mention of was introduced in 1851, and double action revolvers had some popularity by 1880s.

They are both "ancient technology" as you would use the term. And as The Great Mahoo pointed out "Ever wonder why that 'old technology' is still around after so long? I tell you why, cause they are awesome. Dont let some wanna be gunstore commando talk you out of a nice revolver, buy what you like, practice with it, and then outshoot said commando.
Old February 16, 2009, 05:13 PM   #47
jjohnson

No.

If you feel ashamed because your personal choice is a revolver, your values need an adjustment.

Nothing wrong with choosing what you're comfortable with - don't let their opinions sway you. I usually carry an auto, but it all depends on what I'm wearing which gets carried.

Hold your head up - just don't do it so much you become a target.
Old February 17, 2009, 12:16 AM   #48
CarbineCaleb

No

I also think that shooting and loading the revolver are more aesthetically pleasing than the semiauto. Instead of the slide slamming, you have the cylinder smoothly gliding during fire. And instead of wrestling with magazine springs, to load it, you just slip the rounds in, just as pretty as you please.
Old February 17, 2009, 11:14 AM   #49
B.N.Real

LAUGHING OUT LOUD.

Please NEVER post this thread title AGAIN.

NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO-NO.
Old February 17, 2009, 04:30 PM   #50
Wyn

I am new to guns and all the guns I have a are revolvers and I like them alot. Thank you for all your responses I value all of your wisdom. I think the next gun i buy is going to be a nice Smith and Wesson revolver. I just start getting gunshy when I see i am the only person looking at revolvers at the gunstore; when all of the gun magazines focus on semi-autos; and when the tv shows focus on semi-autos also. Thanks for your responses everyone.

Tags
617 , 625 , 686 , model 29 , revolvers