The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old September 14, 2009, 12:52 PM   #1
ZeSpectre

Virginia -Staunton "Shoot n' Greet" #909

I've been posting the Staunton "Shoot n' Greet" events over on The High Road for a while now but another member who browses here more often asked me if I'd post here as well so I'm going to give it a "shot" (pun fully intended).

A few of the past "Shoot n' Greet" events can be found here...
-The First SSNG
-Back by popular demand, the second SSNG (with photos)
-SSNG number three. (with LOTS of photos)

-------------------------------------------------------------
Well the "half a greet" was somewhat lightly attended (what you wimps though it would rain?...BAH!) :neener:

But we're quickly approaching SSNG #909 and I've got a good feeling for the turnout!

WHEN: Sunday - Sept 27'th, anytime after 11:30am
WHERE: Hite-Hollow Range, Staunton, VA

The wife and I are digging back into the house remodeling now that the weather is cooling down so I probably won't have time to come up with a new challenge, but the "zombie" challenge is still open for anyone who wants to give it a go.

ONGOING: The rangers are still asking that people avoid using "ground" targets and hang paper targets so that bullets impact the backstop and not the intervening ground. That being the case, it’s the same as the last shoot where we need to get creative with some target stands and ways to hang things such as the "safari" stuffed animals. Both Motorhead and myself have simple and inexpensive plans for building target stands, or if folks want to chip a few bucks in I can certainly build a few more for us to use.

ALSO - Let's have a brief word on Vandalism. We've had an uptick in both careless and malicious behavior at the Hollow. If anyone has information regarding the yahoos who are shooting up the stands, bathroom, benches, cover, etc. PLEASE let the rangers know. I'm not ashamed to tell you that this kind of behavior is REALLY ******* me off!

Okay, enough of the serious business...

here is the currently planned schedule for the rest of 2009. This schedule may be subject to some minor changes. (don’t worry, I’ll re-post this in following emails as well).
-Sunday - November 29'th

This is an ALL WEATHER event and we’ve proven that regardless of heat, rain, snow, fog, or bitter cold winds, folks still come out.

As for equipment, this is a "bring what you will" event as the "hollow" has no restrictions on firearms size or type. If it’s legal to own in VA, you can bring it. HOWEVER (and this is important folks) no explosive, incendiary, or tracer ammo and no metallic targets! The rangers have been relaxed on this in the past but the damage to the berms and the fire hazard is simply too great.

Are you new to shooting and have no equipment? Come on out anyway, we’re a friendly group and even with the shortages and higher prices you’ll still find that one (or more) people will be more than happy to do a little instruction and let you shoot a few rounds down range with their guns. It's one of the things that makes me very proud of the group we've assembled.

Hite Hollow has a 25yd pistol range and a separate rifle range with 50, 100, and 150 yard hangers for targets but it is also a good idea to bring some cardboard to use as a target or to hang your paper targets.

The range has a permanent pit toilet and covered shooting areas but there is no running water or other amenities so bring your own food/drinks.

This is a free event but it sure wouldn't be a bad gesture to bring a few bucks to stuff in the Hollow's donations-box as that goes towards maintenance of the area.

I would also respectfully ask that folks bring a few heavy duty trash bags as well so we can do a "trash-pick" after we're done shooting (try and leave the area cleaner than when we arrived).

Can't wait to see y'all there!

Zespectre
Old September 22, 2009, 08:50 AM   #2
ZeSpectre

Bump.
(Wow, no interest at all over here?!?)
Old September 24, 2009, 12:32 PM   #3
kle

I'd like to go, but I'm going to be riding my bike on a Metric Century around Nokesville/Quantico instead. Y'all have fun!
Old September 24, 2009, 12:34 PM   #4
ZeSpectre

Kle,
good to hear from ya. Have fun on the bike!
Old September 26, 2009, 02:33 PM   #5
ZeSpectre

Update: We have a webpage now.
Nothing too fancy but hopefully it gets the job done!

Staunton Shoot n Greet Social Events in Virginia