The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 12, 2001, 09:00 PM   #26
DML

CMOS:

May I call you "chip"? Just kidding. :-)

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I prefer 00 and 000 buck. Some people prefer #4 buck which I think is a mistake much past 20 yards. What I was trying to say was that at 25 or 30 yards (out of a Vang Comp Barrel) the target won't know the difference between 00 or 000 or 8 pellets or 9 pellets. The target probably won't know the difference between a reduced recoil load or a magnum load.

Of course, I'm referring to a two legged target. Hunting a four legged animal requires the most powerful load that you can handle. IMHO of course.
Old May 12, 2001, 09:16 PM   #27
CMOS

Well understood DML.

CMOS
Old May 13, 2001, 01:17 PM   #28
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

AA, the press release said they're not changing price, line or availability. Time will tell.
Old May 13, 2001, 01:47 PM   #29
Cosmoline

This whole "breath mints" load has got me thinking. Wouldn't breath mints just be turned to dust by the initial blast? Even if they got to the target it sure seems like they'd be prone to shatter on clothing and skin, leaving only surface wounds. Has anyone actually tried this? M&M's likewise, though they might be tough enough to melt in your gut, not in the barrel. I'd favor a load of Jolly Ranchers or, most fearful of all, Mike & Ike's. Maybe I'll get set up and start testing these tasty loads on ballistic geletin. Or, better yet, Jell-O brand geletin!
Old May 13, 2001, 02:00 PM   #30
CMOS

Hmmmmmmm...

GRH, I think you're on to something. I would also like to have someone test gummy bears as a non-lethal alternative. You know, for crowd control type applications.

Back to the M&M's for minute, ever try to eat some of these babies when they're cold!? Picture this advertisement:

- We now stock 12 gauge shells in "00", "000" and "M&M"

CMOS
Old May 14, 2001, 07:28 AM   #31
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guys, you DO know I'm being sarcastic when I mention breath mints, right?

Sometimes it's hard to tell.....
Old May 14, 2001, 11:33 AM   #32
KA3N

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Mcc:
Guys, you DO know I'm being sarcastic when I mention breath mints, right?
What? You weren’t serious? I worked up some handloads and found that TicTacs have a much tighter pattern than Certs…

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Mcc:
At typical HD ranges, the shells could be loaded with breath mints or 000 depleted Uranium pellets rubbed with garlic, the results will be the same.
Should I use freshly pressed garlic, or can I use dried garlic flakes soaked in Hoppes #9? (This would clean the barrel with each shot!)

But seriously, thanks for all your posts Dave. I bought my first shotgun a month ago and I’ve learned a great deal from all the information presented here.

- Don
Old May 14, 2001, 05:28 PM   #33
Tommie Flanagan

Triple Odd Buck is good but No. 1 Buck at close ranges is better.
Old May 14, 2001, 10:54 PM   #34
DML

Excuse me, but dead is dead whether it's 000, 00, 0, 1, 4 buck or 7 1/2 bird shot. The constant arguement over which size is best is really a waste of time like comparing a .308 Win to .30-06.
Old May 14, 2001, 11:27 PM   #35
Cosmoline

Well I wasn't being sarcastic! I've already figured out how to prepare a wonderful dessert in about half a second. I mix a variety of hard candies in a 3" shell with a half load of powder, load it in my Topper and fire it from about two feet into a cube of vanilla ice cream. I call it "Blasted Alaska." For extra flavor and a crisper shell on the ice cream, use black powder.