The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old April 22, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1
WiscBuckmaster

History channel's "Chasing Tail"....Seriously?

Has anyone else seen this garbage? I watched about 10 minutes of an episode and turned it off in disgust. They might as well be shooting fish in a barrel i bet you could walk up to one of those deer and almost touch it city deer are so tame as they see people so often. One guy was decked in full camo while sitting in a lawn chair on a back patio with a white house as his background that made me laugh. I wouldnt think hunting in these areas would be legal but apparently it is. As a life-long bow hunter im offended that the history channel would portray hunters as such idiots with this tasteless show.
Old April 22, 2013, 12:24 PM   #2
allaroundhunter

Re: History channel's "Chasing Tail"....Seriously?

When deer populations overrun suburban communities, bow hunters are often hired to remove some of the population. It is not an uncommon thing.
Old April 22, 2013, 12:24 PM   #3
chewie146

I haven't seen much of the show, but deer are an amazing problem in some suburban areas, and suburban deer hunters are becoming more common. What makes more sense: Game and Fish killing the deer or hunters killing the deer? I'm not saying these gents are ambassadors for the sport, as I haven't seen much, but what has gotten you so riled up? That's a genuine question, not sarcasm. I hunt red squirrels in the fall, and they're borderline retarded. They'll come down the tree and yell at you. But, the meat is eaten, the kills are clean, and the license is paid for. In many parts of the country, deer are more used to humans than they seemingly should be. Personally, I'd rather see an arrow through a deer than a deer through a car.
Old April 22, 2013, 04:15 PM   #4
BamaMac54

In our part of the country (Middle TN) deer are an absolute nuisance. I saw over 20 this morning (around 6AM)... half of which were in the middle of the road. I wish we could take care of them in city limits, as many of our wrecks are caused by idiots who don't know how to drive trying to avoid them, or worse, gawking at them.
Old April 22, 2013, 07:48 PM   #5
buck460XVR

It's a T.V. reality show. It's not about education, but about entertainment. They are not trying to entertain hardcore deer hunters, they are trying to entertain the general public. I think it's great the History Channel is showing a positive side of hunting and showing how dangerous and destructive uncontrolled deer populations can be. The hunters may be doofusses, but they hunt ethically and safely. They take only high percentage shots and make clean kills. They also make good use of the venison. Unlike many average Wisconsin deer hunters. You really think those urban deer are more tame than those trained to come to a bait pile or a feeder? How about those that are unmolested for years and allowed to walk on QDM parcels until they sport enough horn to be considered a "shooter''. Many of them learn from an early age to come to the sound of a 4-wheeler cause that means the food bag is on. The smell of humans does not frighten them either.......they relate it to food. While it may not be your or my cup of tea, or our preferred method of hunting, it is a valuable service to those folks that allow them to hunt and they do it legally, ethically and safely. If that offends you, you need to look at your priorities.
Old April 22, 2013, 08:05 PM   #6

I watched the same episode that you did, and I also shut if off after a few minutes. In fact, it was right at the part where the guy was sitting in the lawn chair.

That being said, a city right near me, opened up archery deer hunting in the city limits including city parks and golf courses. Deer are a terrible nusience around here. Huge numbers of traffic accidents involving deer, not to mention that all your shrubbery, flowers, gardens etc. are mowed down to the ground by deer.
A buddy of mine has hit like six deer in the last year including one on his Harley.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old April 22, 2013, 11:48 PM   #7
WiscBuckmaster

Quote:
They also make good use of the venison. Unlike many average Wisconsin deer hunters.
I don't get that statement, do you know many wisconsin deer hunters that waste venison? I don't know what you or people you know do with yours but I, as well as my hunting crew, skin, bone, and quarter our own deer, process our own sausage (venison italians, brats, and polish) keep backstraps and inner loins intact, etc. I actually think we do a pretty good job, nothing goes to a butcher unlike many others, and the hide goes to a local guy who makes gloves and other things and gives them away for free to people who need them. I'm not trying to start internet warfare here I just don't know what you meant by that comment.

As far as my gripes on the show, its not really about the hunting itself, its just how its portrayed that I didnt like. I didn't grow up in the city so I'm not aware of those problems as others here have stated.
Quote:
Many of them learn from an early age to come to the sound of a 4-wheeler cause that means the food bag is on. The smell of humans does not frighten them either......
Shoot, I don't know where you're from but thats definately not how it is where I hunt, If I were to drive a 4-wheeler to my stand, which I would never do, It would spook them not attract them. And for smell, I've had bucks bust me after a wind change and they start blowin like crazy. sounds like you're talking about petting zoo deer haha.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:10 AM   #8
Saltydog235

That show is stupid. The sooner it is off the air the better for all of us.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:56 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

This is called "World-View Fixation".

It is the inability to see the world as it exists outside of our experience.

"I'm not aware of..."

"Where I hunt..."

"I've had..."

Other folks don't live, work, hunt, where/how we do. It doesn't make what they do wrong any more than what we do is wrong because it's different from them.

City deer aren't like "wild" deer although I can tell you from personal experience that they get smart quick when the hunting starts.

I hunt in one of these "city deer" areas. The first year we could hunt there, I had a large doe less than 15 feet from my tree stand. When I drew my bow, the arrow fell off the rest. She heard it hit the riser and looked up at me. I couldn't get the arrow back on the rest with my thumb so I had to let down. I put the arrow back on the rest and came back to full draw, all while she stood there looking at me with a sort of "Why is that guy in a tree?" sort of look.

Two or three years later, the deer won't come within 50 yards of the wooded section once they know the "scary guys" are back and being mean again. Ironically, put on a jogging suit and walk out in the open acting like you're paying no attention to the deer at all and you can easily get within bow range. No kidding either.

In regards to the entertainment value of the show, I'm not impressed. I don't see the fascination with watching anybody act like an idiot, be it a deer hunter or Britney Spears. It's embarrassing, not funny. The hunting, that's how it is when you hunt city deer, until they wise up.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:25 AM   #10
kraigwy

Deer in urban areas are a problem, can't dispute that. I can't imagine a safer way to handle the problem then bow hunting.

But if I had one in the bath tube with me, and all I had was a bow, that sucker would be quite safe.

It's not just urban areas, rural areas also. Deer weren't that much a problem for me when hay was $50 a ton, but when it jumped to $150-200 a ton (like last year) then its a huge problem.

I can legally hunt on my property, I don't normally, but I do use it as a training ground for getting my grandkids involved in hunting.

Another summer like last, I'm gonna have to start renting grandkids, friggin deer are killing me. Hay has gone the same route as 22 ammo.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 23, 2013, 09:48 AM   #11
doofus47

Having not seen this show, can someone answer a curiousity question for me?

What do they do about gutting them and de-boning them?
Do the garbage guys ever get upset about a stack of bones in the garbage?
Old April 23, 2013, 09:52 AM   #12
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

There's typically enough "wild" area around that gutting the animal isn't a problem. If it is, you can always do the gutting where ever the processing is going to take place.

I've never thrown bones in the garbage. They go back to the woods for coyote (or fly) bait.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:01 AM   #13
cvc944

It's hard to imagine that such a magnificent game animal can become such a nuisance that someone would have to stop their car, in their driveway, and blow their horn to move deer out of their way. Yet it happens. I picked up some contract work last year in New York in an area where deer roamed through the neighborhoods in broad daylight. Homeowners put 10 and 12 foot high fencing around flower beds and vegetable gardens to keep them out. The large majority of people there are begging for a way to turn them into venison.
Old April 23, 2013, 10:05 AM   #14
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The large majority of people there are begging for a way to turn them into venison.
And sadly, a vocal minority regularly keeps it from happening. Where I hunt, we are only allowed on the outskirts of the real problem areas. The village itself is a very wealthy area and a very few of the wealthy residents have formed an anti-hunting organization to stop any attempt at hunting.

Stupidly, they have so obstructed every possible avenue that the state just gave up and hired sharpshooters. Yeah, that's SO much better than letting people PAY to bow hunt. Let's have the government PAY to "solve" the problem.
Old April 23, 2013, 11:30 AM   #15
globemaster3

Reality TV... what an oxymoron in today's society.

I've experienced the problem of urban deer first hand on populated portions of McGuire AFB and Whiteman. At McGuire, it was so bad the Operations Group Commander/Wing Commander let me start a deer depredation program to cull them after we had a C-141 take a deer strike that cost $90K in parts no longer manufactured. That jet was flown gear down and pinned to the bone yard and retired early. At Whiteman, I had to go around 3X due to deer on the runway!

Brian, it sounds like you need to advertise yourself as a sharp-shooting pizza maker! If someone's got to do it, might as well be you! And who wouldn't want a guy who can show up with fresh pizza to a hunt?

And Kraig, if you need rental grandkids, let me know! I've got a few I could offer on the cheap, say for a shooting lesson with you! They come with their own guns, ammo, food, hotel room, and a babysitter (me)!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old April 23, 2013, 12:43 PM   #16
Super Sneaky Steve

I don't have a TV so I haven't seen the show, but if I could shoot a deer on my back patio sitting in a lawnchair that's the way I'd do it.

I've sat in the cold out in the woods. Not my kind of "fun".

All I want is meat, maybe a trophy and a little target practice on something that moves.
Old April 23, 2013, 01:51 PM   #17
eldermike

Deer hunting in town makes you look at your town in a totally different way. You drive to the bank and see a perfect hunting spot on the way, you begin to see deer paths where you once were looking at nothing important. You begin to notice the deer feeders in back yards.

I have a friend that arrowed one in the park but it died in a back yard filled with feeders and lights. The folks were not happy, they seemed to know this deer. He called me and asked for help, I said i was busy
Old April 23, 2013, 07:40 PM   #18
buck460XVR

Quote:
I don't get that statement, do you know many wisconsin deer hunters that waste venison?
You need to go back and look at the whole statement where I said The hunters may be doofusses, but they hunt ethically and safely. They take only high percentage shots and make clean kills. along with the small part you quoted.

I too hunt Wisconsin. I don't claim to be the "Buckmaster" you are, but in the half a century I've deer hunted I've taken my share with rifle, bow and handgun. The year I shot my first buck with a bow there were less than 100 deer taken in the whole state during archery season. Now they take more than that in any ONE day during archery season. In that time I've witnessed deer hunting change dramatically. While I don't always agree with how others hunt, as long as they are legal, safe and ethical, I have no quarrel. If they only take high percentage shots, make all efforts to find wounded game and use ALL the meat on the carcass, I applaud them. The last thing I would do is insult or belittle a fellow hunter that hunts that way. There are too many out there that do not. If you fit into the former and not the latter of those two groups good for you. If that's the case, IMHO, you are an "above average" Wisconsin deer hunter. Now do you get "it"?

Last edited by buck460XVR; April 24, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:53 PM   #19
spaniel

I used to have a suburban spot. I shot two very nice bucks there, and scores of does. I hung my tree stand 6ft off the ground. Deer would walk right under it; scent never scared them, only movement.

It was pretty easy and good hunting, but after four years I got tired of the stress that occasionally a hit deer would bolt the wrong way and I'd be a lot closer than I wanted to be to someone's property who wasn't keen on me being there (despite that all their bushes and their garden was stripped bare). I moved on.
Old April 23, 2013, 08:47 PM   #20
reynolds357

WiscBuckmaster, what are you supposed to do to control deer population in the cities? Run over them with cars?
Old April 25, 2013, 08:31 AM   #21
Cowboy_mo

Tried to watch the show but couldn't,

because the "hunters" jabbered too much.

HOWEVER, I would rather see someone helping solve the urban deer problem this way than know about the ways one affluent tree hugging St. Louis county suburb handled it.

Town n Country, Missouri had and has a huge 'urban deer problem'. The deer were responsible for many many auto accidents and thousands of dollars in landscaping damage. But, enough of the residents didn't want to see Bambi killed so they convinced the MO dept of cons to trap the deer and transplant them to more urban surroundings. MDC explained that a huge majority of these deer would die because deer don't accept relocation! So, they radio collared the transplants and studied the results. Something close to 98/100 of the deer died within a year!

Fast forward about 5 years and the problem was back. This time, the city HIRED "sharpshooters" and MDC waived the spotlighting laws and the ANTI-BAITING laws to allow the sharpshooters a free for all depredation. This cost the city something in the neighborhood of $200 per deer. MDC recommended the city allow Archery hunting within the city to alleviate the problem but NO, that just wouldn't do.

So, if this show plants a the seed of a reasonable solution in just 1 tree hugging bureaucrat's head, I am GLAD they are showing it. As for me, I just change the channel
Old April 25, 2013, 11:56 AM   #22
ChasingWhitetail91

I've seen an episode of the show and its pretty rediculous. Pest removal is one thing, but calling yourself a hunter while in full camo on a deck blows my mind. Plus they stole my name without asking for it
Old April 25, 2013, 09:04 PM   #23
reynolds357

I shoot deer out of my living room window. I see nothing ethically wrong with doing that.
Old April 25, 2013, 10:26 PM   #24
saitek

tail !

all these supposed (reality show's) really get my blood presure up ,every time you turn around they got a new one . they are so assanine they realy tell you what they think about there vewing public's age 12-13 and intellegence .maybe i am just getting to old 54there is just about nothing on tv worth watching ,if there is you get 1/2 hour of commershals in a hour . my rant is over
Old April 27, 2013, 08:10 AM   #25
chickenmcnasty

Re: History channel's "Chasing Tail"....Seriously?

You guys crack me up. We are in the days of "Honey booboo" and you get bent out of shape about a show that portrays hunting in a positive light.
Not everyone hunts the way that you do. That doesn't make them wrong. If they are within the laws and not spreading misinformation about our sport you really need to relax. Pick a battle where there is one.
Closed Thread