The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 23, 2013, 10:45 AM   #1
trapper300RUM

Lee Classic Turret Press

I have just finished loading 150 44 Magnum rounds on my LCT & i must admit that it is the best press for the money on the market today .Seems like the more i use it the better it works I have that 4 die set the Deluxe set that includes that factory crimp die I don't want knowone to think i'a, just being a windbag but when it comes to the Lee Classic Turret it just can't be beat by no other press in it's price range or maybe even some of the higher priced ones also I have the complete outfit the 4 die set in 44 Magnum ,40 S&W9mm Luger & soon to be 45ACP i also have that Lee Saftey Prime & the Pro Auto Disk with the Riser .I checked some of the chargeswith my Smartreloader ISD Scale & Despencer Combo & my Pro Powder Measure threw & they were either exact or just a tenth above the actuall charge i just can't find another outfit with all of th features that comes standard on the LCT . I just love loading with it & yes i have loaded everything i had to load in my shop . Love That Lee Classic Turret Pres Outfit
Old December 23, 2013, 10:51 AM   #2
mikejonestkd

Glad to hear that you enjoy the LCT. I am another fan of it, mine has well over 50K through it in 3 years and its more than paid for itself.
Old December 23, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3
totaldla

I agree that the LCT is the best value for an entry-level press today.
Old December 23, 2013, 01:45 PM   #4
totalloser

I have only run into two problems with mine: The plastic auto index is cheesy and tricky to get working, and the base is partially incompatible with oddball dies such as the RCBS primer swage extractor ring. Also easy to lose the random bullet or primer in the base.

But other than those minor issues, I am very fond of mine. I load everything on a Loadmaster and use the turret to handle all other operations. I wish the Loadmaster was as predictable to use.
Old December 23, 2013, 01:57 PM   #5
bt380

I have the Lee classic as well. If you use the round newer pro powder measure, you might find sticking in the red Hornady powder baffle (cheap on ebay) will help consistency in some of the other powders. I've not seen inside the rectangle powder measure from Lee to know if it would work in there but you could cut some tin to accomplish the same if need be.
Old December 23, 2013, 01:57 PM   #6
mikld

Ya Hoo! No Lee bashing! I've used an old style Lee turret for over 12 years (IIRC) and have reloaded tens of thousands of handgun rounds and a few rifle rounds (mebbe 1 1/2 K .223, and 600, 30-06). I removed the auto index plastic thingy mebbe 11 years ago and still hand index my press mostly 'cause I don't use it "semi-progressive", and batch reload. I even have a turret full of sizing dies for my cast bullet processing, and on one turret along with the reloading dies I have a ram prime set up. Has worked flawlessly for me...
Old December 23, 2013, 02:07 PM   #7
Smoke & Recoil

I use the heck out of my Lee Classic Turret, but I did make three small
alterations with mine...(1), I replaced the round wood knob with a plastic
one...(2), I bent the operating handle to the right about 5 degree's, that
allows the powder despenser to miss my hand...(3), I installed a small L.E.D.
light inside the frame in order to look inside small cases to insure there is
powder there.
Old December 23, 2013, 02:47 PM   #8
lamarw

I have two Lee turret presses on my bench and have loaded more than a few rounds in a lot of calibers. I bypass he auto feature and simply turn it to the next station with my left hand. I am just as fast with it and feel as though I have more control. I can go back quickly to a station without blistering the donut.

I have a different turret for every round to include all the dies adjusted along with a pre-set auto disk powder measure unit for each caliber I reload (other than rifle ammo).

I find it more fun than shelling peas.
Old December 23, 2013, 03:09 PM   #9
Reloader2

How long have you folks been working for Lee Precision?

I actually bought my Lee Classic turret press a few months back.
So far I've only loaded 9mm ammo with it but I find I enjoy the reloading as much as the shooting and this definitely sped up the process compared to my single stage press.
I'm still depriming and sizing on a single stage because I'm using range brass and new to the press. Also priming with a hand tool, but plan at some point doing the whole operation on the turret press.
Old December 23, 2013, 06:35 PM   #10
Smoke & Recoil

Well, I guess you could say that I work for LEE, I buy their products, so that
helps them stay in business I suppose.

I too have all my dies set up with their own turrets and I store them on pvc
pipe fitting...available from Home Depot, if anyone is really interest in the part
number of the fitting...I'll gladly post it, but off the top of my head...I think
it is a 3" solder (glue) to 3" pipe. The arrangment works very good.
Old December 23, 2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Smoke & Recoil

Here are the pvc fittings...
the numbers appear to be 12871 55924 2 the (8) is unsure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0594.JPG (126.8 KB, 342 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0593.JPG (135.3 KB, 300 views)
Old December 23, 2013, 08:29 PM   #12
Merad

Quote:
base is partially incompatible with oddball dies such as the RCBS primer swage extractor ring
I actually just set that up yesterday on mine. If you take off the plastic bracket that the indexing rod goes into, the extractor ring will fit over the ram. And if you're willing to sacrifice one of your primer arm assemblies (snip off the cup that actually holds the primer) to "activate" the extractor, the swager dies work pretty well.

I've had my LCT for 6 months now, and I'm probably at around 750 rounds loaded. My only complaint is that stupid plastic indexer piece.
Old December 23, 2013, 09:00 PM   #13
lamarw

Merad, do what I do and have it get lost. It takes no more time to reload by manually rotating the turret. It makes life so much easier.
Old December 23, 2013, 09:47 PM   #14
Airman Basic

Oddball again, I guess, but I got the LCT and tried it. 1st problem had to buy Lee lockrings since my old Lyman dies didn't work. Then my dies aren't chamfered as much as Lees, and cases tend to snag. More play in the LCT than my Rockchucker. I prime with Lee's handtool, and my batch processing with a loading block seems to give me more control than doing it all on the LCT. Really like my Little Dandy measure too. Went back to my RC. Do have the basically unused LCT, maybe I'll sell it. But I'll probably just set it back and change my mind down the road. It's all good.
Old December 23, 2013, 10:13 PM   #15
CrustyFN

Quote:
Merad, do what I do and have it get lost. It takes no more time to reload by manually rotating the turret. It makes life so much easier.
Personally I don't see how it can get any easier than the auto indexing. I have been loading on my classic turret for 7 to 8 years now. I have loaded thousands of rounds in 9mm, 38/357, 45 auto and 223 and am still on the original plastic ratchet that came installed in the press. If you are going through them fast then you are doing something wrong.
Old December 24, 2013, 07:41 AM   #16
Daffy

biggest cause of breaking the plastic indexing piece is short stoking. Yeah I just said that. LOL
6 + years, Countless rounds reloaded, still on the original index ring.

I hit mine with a bit of graphite when I think it needs it.
Old December 24, 2013, 08:32 AM   #17
ATPBULLETS

Love my LCT... had for 3-4 yrs now...
Old December 24, 2013, 09:26 AM   #18
rdmallory

[QUOTE]), I replaced the round wood knob with a plastic
one..[/QUOTE

I did the same with a drilled out Q-ball.

Doug
Old December 24, 2013, 04:13 PM   #19
TrueTexan

I had mine for little vower two years and love it. I have discovered a product to use when cleaning the LCT. I had been using a light oil on the ram I switched to another cleaner lube but it was harder to use. Then I read a post about Hornady's One Shot Black Label and it works great used it on the Ram and the other metal parts along with the dies and the Pro auto disk. Everything is running much better. and the powder drops seem to be smother and more consistent.
Old December 24, 2013, 04:38 PM   #20
BWM

I did away with the auto and do it with my hand. some time I only powder and set the bullet. This makes it faster that way.
Old December 24, 2013, 06:30 PM   #21
Chili Palmer

Just pulled the LCT out of the the box for Christmas. Now to decide where on the bench to put it - Lee single stage dead center (97inch top). I have enjoyed having half the bench open to the right of the SS Lee for regular bench work.. 2 presses will hog it. Hmmm
Old December 24, 2013, 06:37 PM   #22
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I love my LCT. I started reloading with it in 2008 or 9. I can load 200 rounds an hour of pistol ammo and in literally 5 seconds switch to rifle dies and be loading 1/2 MOA rifle ammo.

I can't imagine a reason to disable auto indexing when loading handgun ammo.
Old December 24, 2013, 07:27 PM   #23
jsflagstad

I too have a LCT that I've had for several years. I replaced my standard Lee Turret press with it. I used it for rifle loads and to work up hand gun loads before moving them over to my Load Master.

"Is your rifle interesting? -Larry Potterfield
Old December 24, 2013, 09:18 PM   #24
bedbugbilly

I'm fairly new to reloading (I'm 61) but am loading 9mm and 38spl on a 4 hole Lee Classic Turret. I can't say enough good about it - it is a true joy to use. I de-prime all my brass on a RCBS jr3 single stage and then use the Lee to load. I also use the Lee 4 die sets for both calibers.

I cast my bullets and sometimes I read negative things about the Lee dies, etc. - I have absolutely no problems at all with them. I bought an adapter for the Lee Perfect Powder Measure on eBay - it threads on to the measure and slides in to the top of the "powder through / expander die" - it works like a charm!

I found the press easy to set up. Normally, I'm not a "directions reader" but I did read the instructions and then set things up - all worked perfectly. We are getting ready this week to go to AZ for a few months at our house out there. When I get there, I'm ordering another turret so I can have the same set up there as I do here in MI. I also use their new "ergo hand primer" and that works just as slick as the rest of my Lee equipment. As far as I'm concerned, their products are a great value and I couldn't be happier.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 24, 2013, 09:31 PM   #25
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer
Now to decide where on the bench to put it - Lee single stage dead center (97inch top). I have enjoyed having half the bench open to the right of the SS Lee for regular bench work.. 2 presses will hog it. Hmmm
Simple. Mount only one press at a time with a quick-change mount. Mount each press on a short length of 2-by-6 or 2-by-8 board. Put two brackets that hold the 2-by securely (put a locking/cotter pin in the arrangement).

Pull the pin, slip the desired press's mounting board's tongue into the bracket, replace the pin and your desired press is ready to go. Swapping presses is a matter of 15-30 seconds.

If your brackets are atop the bench, your presses will be 1.75" higher than before. If brackets are on the underside of the bench, your presses will be a little lower (the thickness of your workbench's front lip).

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; December 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM.