The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 29, 2013, 06:11 PM   #1
papazip

The Keith in a rifle

Trying to toss Elmer's favorite 44 out of a Handy Rifle without leading.Can it be done?
Old December 30, 2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Mike / Tx

The fit will be the primary issue with the lube lasting the lenght being the second.

If I were trying this I would give a couple of sizes a try and not be using anything less than .430" diameter bullets. If your using commercial bullets try those brands which offer a selection of sizes and possibly hardness. Something in a .430 at around a 14BHN should work just fine.

I would also recommend picking up a bottle of Alox as well. If you find your commercial bullets are leading give them a good roll around in some of the Alox before loading. This might help out what ever lube they used to make it to the muzzle.

If your pouring your own and find your getting leading you might look up White Label Lubes and try some of his Carnuba Red. IT is good stuff but needs a little heat to work well in some lubsizers.
Old December 30, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3
mehavey

I push a hot-loaded (Ruger-Only) 45 Keith out the end of a 20" `94 Marlin using Alox (stomp, stomp ).
-- no problem at all w/ Lym#2 @ BN:15, so a 44 should be no different.

Make sure that bullet's big enough to seal the bore. Don't even try otherwise
Old December 30, 2013, 11:57 AM   #4
mikld

You need to slug the barrel. SAAMI dimensions are different for rifle vs. handgun in .44 magnum, with rifle groove diameters up to .431". Size/purchase bullets that are at least .432" or, about .001"-.002" over the groove diameter of your barrel, for a non-leading load...
Old January 1, 2014, 02:05 PM   #5
papazip

Thanks for the info,guys. Here I go.....
Old January 2, 2014, 07:33 AM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

What do you consider Elmer's favorite load?

The one I recall he wrote about most was his 250gr SWC, 22gr of 2400 and standard (not magnum) primers.

Skelton liked that load, but preferred 21.5gr 2400...

These are hot loads, but shouldn't lead, even in a rifle, IF a)the bullet is sized correctly for the bore, and b) it is cast HARD enough.

Lyman #2 alloy should be your baseline for hardness when working with loads at these levels.