The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 4, 2011, 06:44 AM   #1
checkmyswag

new mini14 more accurate?

I've always liked the mini 14 but have always been turned off at its lack of accuracy. Seems like what I've read indicates they are more accurate than they were. Is this true? Why?
Old October 4, 2011, 08:03 AM   #2
kd7sgm

I have a new series mini 14 tactical model that shoots well. 1.5" groups are the norm for my rifle. I think the barrels are heavier, the machining tolerances are tighter which has increased their overall accuracy. I have a DPMS AR as well and they both shoot about the same as fas as accuracy goes. I have had mini 14's in the past, the older moldels as well, and one difference in Them I can tell you is the price. It seems as though I paid around $400 dollars new for my older mini, and the new series I purchased about a year ago was $700.00.
Old October 4, 2011, 08:50 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The consensus during the last couple of years, here and at THR, is that the heavier barrel allows for tighter groups than the early models.
Old October 4, 2011, 09:33 AM   #4
Technosavant

My understanding is that Ruger realized their tooling for the Mini series was essentially worn out, resulting in rifles with extremely mediocre accuracy. They bought new tooling and went to a heavier barrel, and that has paid dividends in the form of a rather more accurate product.
Old October 4, 2011, 11:51 AM   #5
cmdc

I don't have any experience with the older Minis, but I have two brand new ones, both the stainless/synthetic versions, one 14 and one 30. I bought the 14 upon the recommendation of Art Eatman and others, for a boat gun. I was quite frankly leery because of all the Mini bashing here, but did it anyway, because I trust these guys' experience. I can tell you that I was pleasantly surprised by the rifle. I mounted a 1-4x scope on it, and it shoots 2" groups at 100 yds all day long, and would, I believe, do better than that if I was more capable, and this was on a 100 degree day, getting the barrel REALLY hot.

I was so impressed that I bought the 30 and took it out this past weekend with a fixed 4x scope, and it was the same story. It actually shot two 1" groups at 100 yds.

Bottom line, don't be afraid to get one.
Old October 4, 2011, 12:29 PM   #6
rickyrick

I get about 2-2.5" in les than ideal conditions, I suspect that it may be capable of 1.5" if I ever shot from a bench....but that remains to be seen.

The barrels after 2009 are the heaviest so far. Mine peforms consistently and does not string shots when it heats up as has been reported with the older versions.

I think that they are still over gassed and the slam-bang of the op rod hunk-o'steel makes it a tad unruly when firing unsupported, its still manageable
Old October 4, 2011, 04:12 PM   #7
GONIF

Just imagine if the Edsel was still made ,what a great car it would be today . I'm shure Ruger has improved the Mini 14 to the point that it is a viable rifle at this point . Try it and let us know how it shoots .
Old October 4, 2011, 06:57 PM   #8
justjim75

mine is the tactical with the ATI stock. i get 2" groups from a bipod fairly easily with a 1x reddot. i love mine. i just wish it was lighter but i have all kinds of stuff on mine
Old October 4, 2011, 07:01 PM   #9
tobnpr

Quote:
Just imagine if the Edsel was still made ,what a great car it would be today . I'm shure Ruger has improved the Mini 14 to the point that it is a viable rifle at this point . Try it and let us know how it shoots .
Why not ask the special ops troops in Afghanistan whether they like their M-14's?
After all, they're as old as (exactly, as a matter of fact) the Edsel...

Why do you believe that age is a disadvantage when it comes to proven, reliable firearm design?

Methinks you're just another troll...
Old October 4, 2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Mannlicher

This one is my Brother in Law's. We were shooting it at the Brocks Gap range in Birmingham two weeks ago, and getting consistent groups of under an inch and half with Federal FMJ. The sight is a Vortex Strikefire red dot.
It is more accurate than my older 188 series Ranch rifle.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 4, 2011, 07:56 PM   #11
GONIF

topnpr . If you read the post you can see clearly what I said. If the Edsel was still made it would be a hell of a car. With time the Mini has improved . Reading Is Fundamental . Calling me a troll because you can't read or understand is wasteing everyons time ,and shows who is the real troll here . It takes time to perfect a design. The Mini has gotten better with time and age ,and if they keep produceing it it will get better still . Engage your brain B4 you open your mouth.
An M14 is not a Mini 14 ,looks do not make them the same . Also why not ask if the S O troops like the FN Scar17, or the Armalite SASS ? Also ask why the US fields more AR type weapons then all other weapons combined.
FYI I have owned a 1959 Edsel Ranger with a 410 engine ,and it was as good as the 1959 Chevy Impala with the 348 engine I also owned .

Last edited by GONIF; October 4, 2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old October 5, 2011, 09:04 AM   #12
tobnpr

If I misunderstood your tone, I apologize.

It sounded like the usual sarcasm we see here whenever the Mini-14 is discussed...the Edsel isn't generally associated with anything positive.
Wikipedia sums it up pretty well The name "Edsel" has since become synonymous with failure.

We've had enough Mini vs AR threads that get locked. No reason for another one.
Old October 5, 2011, 02:52 PM   #13
GONIF

the Edsel was way ahead of it's time ,and was a jazzed up Lincoln with a lot of great inovations .The design ,calber,and size of the Mini 14was a great idea .I had 2 and had bad luck with both 1 was a regular and the second was a SS ranch rifle . I bought them because I liked the way they looked and the handy size. I'm sure if I bought one of the new Mini14's I would happy with it .It is sad it took Ruger so long to get it right . The fact that Bill Ruger was involved with the gungrabbing left that wanted to restrict hi cap mags still bothers me after all these years . I have a modifyed 22/45 MKIII and a 1022,and an SP101 .357 ,so I'm not anti Ruger.

Tags
mini , ruger