The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 15, 2011, 09:06 PM   #26
wyobohunter

Have you considered x-country skis? They aren't as manueverable if you'll be going into tight trees and brush but they are way more efficient (and fun). I have both modern snowshoes and a few different sets of skis. I much prefer the skis and generally just bring the snowshoes along when I'm on the snow machine (in case it breaks down).

If you're set on snowshoes I'll throw out another suggestion for modern with crampons/claws if it gets very steep where you hunt. Make sure you size them big enough to support your weight plus anything you may carry, including critters.

To me snowshoes are just a tool to get around on if no better means of transport is available, I've never actually seen anybody smiling on them... at least not because of them... like the REI catalog shows.
Old February 17, 2011, 10:00 AM   #27
Hunter Customs

wyobohunter,
Thanks for your reply, however I think I better stay with snow shoes.
I hate to think what I might do on a pair of skis.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 18, 2011, 07:53 PM   #28
cnimrod

always love the traditional looks

Have both Algonquin and Bear Paw styles, haven't used them in a while and bindings were a weak spot and they need to be varnished regularly.

by coincidence Dave Petzal just wrote this on Field and Stream newsletter.
"I got the new ones (the Venture model). I’m saddened to say the aluminum and neoprene monstrosities work much, much better than the old type. It isn’t even close. Next thing you know I’ll be replacing all my wood-stocked guns with plastic."

that said I don't think I'd be hanging the new ones on the wall for show and tell
Old February 18, 2011, 11:26 PM   #29
T. O'Heir

You ever been on snowshoes? Note how far apart the tracks are in Rembrandt's picture. Hurts walking like that for very long. And his shoes are narrow. Snowshowing can be brutally hard work. In any case, get yourself a 6foot hiking staff. Help you to get up when you fall over.
"...on military snowshoes...They are worthless..." American issue snowshoes maybe, but not CF issue snowshoes.
Old February 20, 2011, 11:17 AM   #30
Hunter Customs

crimrod,
Thanks for the info.

T. O'Heir,
No, I've never walked in snowshoes, but I will.
I realize they will be different to walk in then regular footwear, and require more energy.
That being said I'll be willing to bet they will be better to walk in then wading through the deep snow like I did tracking that coyote.
Thanks for your imput on this.

This is a little off topic. Years ago I shot some pistol competition with a gentleman from Canada, his name was Terry O'Heir. I believe he told me he was a judge in Canada, would he happen to be any relation?

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 21, 2011, 01:19 AM   #31
wyobohunter

Quote:
That being said I'll be willing to bet they will be better to walk in then wading through the deep snow like I did tracking that coyote.
Absolutely. If the snow is about mid-calf or deeper they are worth wearing. The exception is if the walk is very short and the walk would be more than about 1/2 finished by the time you would got the snowshoes on. Those are pretty broad generalizations of course.

Also, as another poster mentioned; it's very convenient to pack at least one ski pole and two is better. Quality adjustable poles are the ticket.
Old February 21, 2011, 06:08 PM   #32
TYM2MOTR

+1 for the adjustable trekking poles. Collapsed they're easy to carry when you don't need to use them, and if you have to cross a creek bed, or steep and uneven terrain they can be extended or shortened as needed.

Last edited by TYM2MOTR; February 21, 2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old February 21, 2011, 08:34 PM   #33
Hunter Customs

wyobohunter and TYM2MOTR.
I will deffinately take the advice on the poles, especially the adjustable ones.
I figure I might even give them double duty and use them as make shift shooting sticks.
Thanks again to everyone for all the good advice.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com