The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 7, 2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Hunter Customs

Chalk up #24

I was getting ready to go out and do my morning chores, went to the kitchen sink to get some water so my morning coffee would be brewing while I was outside.
I look out my kitchen window and low and behold there stands Wiley coyote just south of the barn.

I knew my guineas were down form their roost in the barn, so I'm not sure if he had intentions of inviting one of them to breakfast or maybe had plans on ambushing Spike my little dog that goes out and chores with me.

Whatever his intentions was I changed his plans.
I went to the gun cabinet, got out my 22-250, took the inside screen off my kitchen window, opened the window and introduced Wiley to rule 22-250.

Even though I did not call this one in that's number 24 for this year.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 7, 2011, 01:54 PM   #2
PawPaw

That's the best part of living in the country. Lots of opportunity for targets of opportunity.

Good job.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old February 7, 2011, 04:55 PM   #3
markj

Man you must have a lot more yotes that we do, course we shot them up last spring when them pups was young and runners. Nothing like a moving target I use the deer bones and entrails too, pile em up and wait till dark.

Ever hunt with dogs? that is fun
Old February 7, 2011, 08:54 PM   #4
Hunter Customs

Yes sir PawPaw I agree, country living has it's good points.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 7, 2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Hunter Customs

markj, yes we do have a lot of coyotes, however they have been thined down a little.
I'm not sure if I could bait them here in Missouri or not, Missouri has some stupid laws.

Yes I have hunted with dogs, I used to go with a group of about 30. We would surround a section, turn loose the dogs and let the fun begin.
There's still a few that hunts with dogs, I'll see a group of dog hunters maybe once a year.
I know the game wardens down here busted a few of the dog men from shooting from the roads and I think that kind of did the dog hunting in.

Personally I would rather call in the coyotes, that's my favorite way to hunt them.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 7, 2011, 10:05 PM   #6
huntinaz

Sweet. I shot my first coyote ever from the porch. Good stuff

It is way more fun to call them in though, I agree.
Old February 8, 2011, 10:44 AM   #7
Hunter Customs

huntinaz, I've been seeing a lot more coyote activity around the place lately, I've actually killed two here this year.
My neighbor across the road started raising goats and I believe that's pulling in the coyotes.
More coyotes is fine with me as long as I get opportunities to crackem.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old February 8, 2011, 03:12 PM   #8
Saltydog235

Very nice. I love to hear about a trash dog getting some lead in its diet.
Old February 8, 2011, 05:22 PM   #9
markj

Yes we used to use the leftover greyhounds from the race guys here. Them dogs can chase a yote to ground fast, then send in the killer dog like a pit bull. Used to hang em on the truck box.

I shot my first yote in the 60s from a snowmobile now it is against the law.
Old February 9, 2011, 09:39 AM   #10
Hunter Customs

Saltydog235
I'm with you. I squeeze the trigger on them every chance I get.

markj,
You mentioning the greyhounds makes me think of a story about the dog men I used to hunt with.
I was not there when this happened but it seems one of the group aquired a greyhound to run coyotes with.
The way the story was told to me was, they turned some trailing dogs loose first to jump some coyotes then turned out this greyhound to run the coyote down.
There was a couple of coyotes that got up, spilt off to confuse the hounds, the greyhound was after the one it could see and the trailing dogs was still on the track of the other one.
The two coyotes met up way out there, the greyhound caught up with them but he was by himself, a fight started between him and the coyotes, the greyhound lost the battle, the greyhound was killed.
I guess that ended the use of greyhounds, none of the guys seemed to want to go get another one.
I know out in Kansas they use greyhounds to run coyotes and airdales for kill dogs.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com