The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 11, 2014, 06:49 PM   #1
3dsauces

.22LR Bench Gun

Hey, I’m trying to make a decision at the moment between a bench rest rifle.
Bolt action is a must, and it must be chambered in .22LR.
This will be for light competition, and general range fun.

Keep in mind I’m australian, so the prices of things are about 70 - 90% more..
(A CZ455 varmint goes for about $900 here)

I was thinking either 2 things.
1. An Anschutz MpR, I’d probably put the Nightforce 8-42x (Or is this overkill?) on it, for 50 - 100 yards (300 for fun)
2. A CZ455 Precision Trainer (The manners stock varmint one), and replace the trigger with timney, and the Barrel with a lilja drop-in barrel?

Going by prices, the CZ + upgrades will run me about $1900 - $2000 and the MPR will run about $1600
The scopes about $1500 - $1600.

My budget is $3000 But I might be able to go higher if required.

So really what I want is accuracy, although a nicer fit is always a bonus.
Thanks
Old March 11, 2014, 06:57 PM   #2
Cowboy_mo

Can't speak to your rifle choice but IMO the scope is extreme overkill for 100-300 yds.

Of course I'm also a believer in "get what you want". Its your money.
Old March 11, 2014, 07:01 PM   #3
MrBorland

Tough call - I have a 452 (well, a couple of them), and have been thinking of customizing it with a Lilja barrel and a Manners/McMillan stock, or just buying an Anchutz MPR repeater.

To me, it comes down to which style of shooting I'd mostly be doing: If tactical precision type of shooting, I'd go the CZ. If smallbore (aperture sights & sling) and/or bench (with a scope), it be the Anchutz. Both have appeal, so I've stayed on the fence so far.
Old March 11, 2014, 07:25 PM   #4
geetarman

I have an Anschutz MPR 64 and I did put a Leupold 8.5-25X50 scope on it.

Scope works fine for 100 yards but is marginal at 50 yards. The parallax adjustment is at the limit and a really good focus can't be achieved. . .especially at 25X. It is somewhat better at 12X.

I also shoot a CZ 452 Trainer that I have had glassed and bedded along with a trigger job. I put a Nikon P22 2-7 on it. I can shoot that rifle at 100 yards, but more magnification would help. That scope is set to be parallax free at 50 yards. It WILL shoot with the Anschutz at 50 yards with good ammo. It really likes Lapua Center X and Standard X.

I am also working with a Ruger 77-22 that has been floated and glass/pillar bedded along with a trigger job. I don't think it will hang with the other two, but will work some more with it. That rifle also has a Nikon P22 2-7 on it.

It is time intensive to do all this testing. . .I am glad I don't have a job.

Carpe Cerveza
Old March 12, 2014, 05:42 PM   #5
pathdoc

Yay, fellow Aussie!

I've seen nice little benchrest guns built up on CZ 452 actions with varmint-weight barrels, back in the day before the 455 existed. They did fairly well next to the high-level stuff.

The advantage, I suppose, is that you can always swap out the action back into the hunting stock and put a lower-power scope on it if you want to take it back out in the bush, bunny-busting or what-have-you. Can't do that with a dedicated target rifle.

That Varmint 455 is a couple hundred more than I recall them asking for the 452 predecessor when I was buying my CZ (I went for the thin-barrelled iron-sighted model for my own reasons). But that was 2006, and inflation has no doubt done its evil work.
Old March 12, 2014, 08:15 PM   #6
3dsauces

Does this mean I have to glass bed / pillar bed the 455 for it to keep up with the MpR?
I do prefer the CZ455, but was worried about the accuracy standards of both rifles.

I guess what I’m saying is, how much will the accuracy difference be? Will it be enough to notice?

Also, how much of the accuracy comes from the receiver, say, as apposed to the barrel?
Old March 15, 2014, 05:43 AM   #7
10-96

And my wonderment would be- how much greater accuracy potential could one get from a Lilja bbl over the factory CZ bbl? Those things are pretty darn awesome.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 16, 2014, 03:27 PM   #8
bamaranger

high dollar

Those are high dollar rigs, for my budget anyhow.

A blue collar alternative may be the Savage MkII TR. Mine is a tack driver, even when fed cheap bulk ammo. On it I mounted a fixed 10x Bushnell, on a one piece rail and tac type rings. Zeroed right, the mil-dots provide useful long range aiming points. We had a hoot one afternoon lobbing slugs at a 200yd plate with a 2 dot, 6MOA high hold off. With a little experimenting, you could develop a good system.
The lack of AO is a pain inside 50 yds, but typically I don't shoot it up close, nor do I hunt it.

The accutrigger is a plus, and the looks are all the rage, tacti-cool ya'know.

What somebody needs to do is come up with a QUALITY, reliable magazine for the Mark II series. The mags are junk.
Old March 16, 2014, 04:38 PM   #9
4runnerman

The scope is definitely NOT a overkill. If you are planning on shooting 300 yards with a 22 you will need a lot of adjustment. You will not get that in a cheap scope.
We have a guy at our range that has a 10-50 on his Anschultz 22. He shoots 300 yards all the time. Scope is a few clicks away from maxed out. You need to see what you are shooting at when you go out to 300 yards. And I don't mean seeing a 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper. You want to see the 1/2 inch target on that piece of paper.
Old March 16, 2014, 09:04 PM   #10
Picher

I have a Remington 40X with a Lilja barrel, Jewell 2 oz. trigger, in a McMillan stock, put together by a very good gunsmith for his own use. I've had it for about 4 years, but am getting out of the game.

The rifle shot two consecutive 250s and a 249 at the same match a couple of years ago, but I haven't shot it lately. It's a fine rifle for Unlimited class in IR 50/50 or other competitions allowing rifles weighing over 13 lbs.

If you want it, I need $2,000 for it without shipping and without scope. With scope it would be $2,300. The scope is a Weaver T-36 with 7X multiplier eyepiece that ads about 7X.

(I'm planning to list it on Benchrest Central.Com Classifieds if it doesn't sell otherwise.)
Old March 21, 2014, 11:55 PM   #11
bamaranger

Oops

Just reread my post re 200 yds. That ain't right. Was a 3 mildot hold off from a 100 yd zero, on an ample plate.

Surprised somebody didn't call me on that.......
Old March 22, 2014, 10:17 AM   #12
RC20

I boggle at a 22 at 300 yds.

Past 50 any wind has affect and the lob factor is like a 30-06 at 1000 yds.

50 yds with light wind is the limit for me. CZ does that fine.

I don't think there is an answer as I don't think you can get a single rifle that even might do that (i.e. unwieldy)
Old March 23, 2014, 07:38 PM   #13
3dsauces

Man, Picher, that’d be awesome But I probably can’t.
There’s a lot of bull**** from importing a rifle into australia, and there’s even more bull**** buying off someone who aint a dealer.

I take it you’re in the states?
I’ll look into a B70 import form But I’m not sure how long it’ll take
Old March 23, 2014, 07:42 PM   #14
3dsauces

Hey, bamaranger, I haven’t heard great things about the TR, but That’s because I hang around Bias Anschutz users
I’d need to be able to consistently hit an Australian standard 50Y BR target 10 ring (It’s about 0.4 inches).
I take it the savage is great for money, but when we’re dealing with a target the size of a penny, can the savage pull up to that?