The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old July 3, 2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Sevens

Remember this Winchester rimfire? Model 55?

Here's a little side trip for anyone who knows older Winchester rimfire rifles.

I have no motivation for starting this thread except to find out what folks who have, used to have, or have used this rifle think of them.

It's a model 55 (IIRC!) and it had a 22" barrel, I think. .22 LR, not sure if it also liked shorts or longs, too. Fixed sights, wood stock.

A buddy of my brother owned this, it was in his family... either his Dad's or his Grandfather's old rifle. I remember it distinctly because of the oddball nature of the operating system of the rifle. Listen to how this one worked-- it kind of acted like a blow-back semi auto rifle in that the shell was automatically ejected upon firing, it would extract and then kick out the bottom of the wooden stock. But it wouldn't feed the next round because it had no magazine. It was a single shot rifle that you had to load from the top through a loading port that was similar to the push-in loading door on the side of a lever-action rifle.

And the rifle fired from an open bolt. When you loaded the rifle, the cartridge sat in the chamber with nothing behind it, and when you pulled the trigger, the entire bolt slung forward under spring pressure and the firing pin was pretty much just a metal nipple on the front of the bolt. The firing pin didn't move, the entire bolt slammed forward in to the cartridge case head.

Because the trigger let loose the entire bolt, it wasn't a great trigger. And I can't see a system of this design being really very good at... well, anything. But I suppose it would be one of the quicker loading and firing of all single shots?

Given how it works, it seemed similar to the operation of an Uzi. Sounds ridiculous to say that out loud, but I don't know a lot of rifles that fire by letting the bolt fly forward when you pull the trigger.

So anyhow... maybe this thread gets 3 views then drops off the face of the earth. But if you have one, or your Grandpa had one, or you used one and liked it (or hated it!) and you remember it, tell me what you thought. Cause on the odd day when it pops in to memory, what I remember most is how odd it worked, why it was designed that way and how unique it is in a world of rimfire rifles.
Old July 6, 2009, 06:04 PM   #2
dgludwig

I always thought the stock resembled the Model 77 a lot. Odd little rifle in concept, that little 55.
Old July 6, 2009, 07:10 PM   #3
Winchester_73

I am the proud owner of a real man's model 55 (not the lever action)

Another interesting foot note is that the safety automatically engaged each time the rifle was cocked, which means after each shot as well. I found mine for $150 OTD at an auction thinking it had resale value. After I read more about it, I decided to keep it. They were only made from 1957 to 1961 I believe. I read Winchester made them as a compromise between parents who wanted the youngster to have a single shot and the kid who wanted a repeater/automatic. I plan to refinish my stock, and I already bought a new trigger guard and butt plate from Numrich, its just one of the many projects I have not got around to yet. I've had mine over a year and I have yet to even fire it lol

Only $150 - what a deal. No pitting, minimal rust. Stock does have some cracks though. I will shoot it some and just let it rest.

My Winchester 22 collection...

Old July 7, 2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Sevens

Yeah, IIRC, the safety was tied to the loading gate so that when you pushed in the loading gate, the safety engaged.

Interesting old rifle. Did anyone copy the design and system that it uses? Was there ever a Sears or Ted Williams version of this design?

I'd think it's more of a curiosity than a true "collectible", but really... a collectible is anything that you enjoy holding on to!

Good to see at least a couple of folks have heard of these.
Old July 7, 2009, 10:48 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

What is the third one from the top/bottom?

I don't recognize it. It appears to be a semiauto?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 7, 2009, 11:29 AM   #6
Scorch

Yes, it is a semi-auto of sorts (blowback operation), but it is not a self-loader since it had no magazine. The Model 55 fired from an open bolt, so it ran afoul of GCA '68. Accuracy was also just so-so.
Old July 7, 2009, 11:56 AM   #7
dgludwig

I've always dubbed the (non-lever) Model 55 a "semi-semi-automatic".
Old July 7, 2009, 12:46 PM   #8
the rifleer

i have one too. my grandfather gave it to me. its a good little .22, buts its a pain to take apart and clean. ive put several hundred rounds though it and it has never failed. its says it take short, long, and long rifle.
Old July 7, 2009, 02:46 PM   #9
Winchester_73

Quote:
What is the third one from the top/bottom?

I don't recognize it. It appears to be a semiauto?
The third one from the top/bottom is a winchester model 74 22LR semi. It has a similar mechanism to a model 63 but it was made to be the economy model. Mine jams some but it was made in 1949 so I can live with it. It was a very popular rifle in the Winchester 22 line. I think it was discontinued in the 50s or early 60s.
Old July 7, 2009, 05:10 PM   #10
dgludwig

The Model 74 was made from 1939 through 1955-Winchester's ugly duckling to my eyes. But I'm sure there are some beholders that find it beautiful.
Old July 7, 2009, 07:43 PM   #11
Tim R

Want to sell the 250?
Old July 7, 2009, 07:52 PM   #12
Winchester_73

Send me a private message offer and I'll consider it. It has a small nick on the tubular magazine and a very light scratch on the left side of the receiver.
Old January 6, 2012, 10:12 AM   #13
mr.t7024

Winchester 55-.22

Ihave a Winchester 55-.22 When I got the stock was filthy,and had sometype of finish on it A few hr's of going over it with 3x steal wool got rid of everything. I then put a coat of linseed oil on it. Looks much better now. It is for sale.Call me ,978-424-7024
Old January 6, 2012, 10:20 AM   #14
Wyoredman

Winchester 73, that is a really cool collection! Thanks for shareing it with us!

It's great when these old post are dug up for us newer members to view without all the searching.
Old January 6, 2012, 10:44 AM   #15
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Win. .22s

While on the subject of Winchester .22s . Is anyone familiar with the Mod. 490 semi-auto ? The 490 and the 55 were made in the same quantity , about 30,000 total production . The 490 was designed to be a practice rifle for the guy that used a Mod. 100 for his big game rifle , and look alot alike . A friend has a 55 that I'd like to have , it's in mint condition , but he doesn't want to part with it , sell or trade !