The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 29, 2012, 07:18 PM   #1
FiveInADime

New Marlin XS7 7mm-08 First Load Workup

Just done loaded up some new R-P brass with Reloader 17 and 150Gr. Sierra MK's. I did a round robin test with 5 shots at each charge weight each with it's own target (8 increments). The first stage I used to get the scope close enough to do the test. I got one fantastic group and the rest are mediocre . Actually starting at 44.4 and moving to 45.2 all the groups were good until the last round. I think fouling may have mussed me up a bit as I went 40 rounds without cleaning becuase I didn't want to have to refoul the bore. I guess I could push above 46Gr. to look for a higher accuracy node. But first I want to Chrono. the 45.2 and see where that's at and if it's acceptable.

Here's some shots of my rifle with it's new furniture.

Some nice figure on the forearm.

Old November 29, 2012, 08:14 PM   #2
dts686

Not too shabby at all for your first loads! The rifle is beautiful, where did you get the stock from? I want to get the same rifle in the same caliber. Thanks for the pictures!!!
Old November 30, 2012, 12:02 AM   #3
FiveInADime

It's a Boyd's Prairie Hunter in walnut. It is my second Boyd's stock and I have been very satisfied with the value of their laminate and walnut. Inletting was pretty good on this one.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Saltydog235

Try 45.5grns of H4350 under those GK seated right off the lands.

I get 5 shots in a dime with that load when I do my part, only I uses a Nosler BT as my bullet.
Old November 30, 2012, 12:49 PM   #5
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Nice outfit , I love the old Simmons AETECs , they aren't fussy about eye relief at all . On hard kicking rifles you can keep the scope out of your eyebrow with them ! My pet hunting load for my 7mm-08 is a Speer 145 Gr. Hot-Core , over 47 Gr. of W-760/H-414 ! Enjoy , the 7mm-08 is a real friendly cartridge , kills anything without beating you up or breaking the bank . It's a handloaders dream to load for , you have to look real hard for a load that they won't shoot well !
Old November 30, 2012, 06:26 PM   #6
jaysouth

Load for accuracy. A deer can't tell the difference between 2600 and 2800 fps.
Old November 30, 2012, 07:33 PM   #7
FiveInADime

True but if you can have both...

This is just something to play with for right now. The rifle will get a new barrel down the road. I might however stick with 7mm-08 instead of going to .260 like i planned.
Old December 2, 2012, 06:04 PM   #8
FiveInADime

@Oneoldsap

I can't say I love that old AETEC, but it has been a reliable scope and you are right about the eye-relief being good. Normally that scope is on my lightweight 7mmRM. The one problem I had with it is that the tube is undersized and requires shims. I just use medical tape now, but before I realized the problem I tightened down the rings too much and pinched the scope tube. Still works like a champ though and it is as clear and tracks as well as any mid-range, inexpensive scope.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:19 PM   #9
tobnpr

Did you go one shot at each target working around as in OCW workup, or all four at the same charge weight, then move on to the next target/charge weight? Just curious...

Also, did I drink today and forget I did... I'm only seeing four shots, not five ?

And, I chose 7-08 instead of .260 when I screwed a new barrel onto my Savage, mainly because we already use .308...and I'm lazy so I won't have to change the shellplate ...actually, the ballistics are very similar.

While I don't currently hunt, I may start- and the 7-08 should carry more kinetic energy to the target with the larger bullet. Worth looking into for your application.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:17 AM   #10
FiveInADime

Yes, I shot the groups round-robin style as in the OCW method. The first eight shots (one from each charge weight) were fired at one target to get the elevation close and foul the bore. The groups are 4-shot groups.

I didnt really notice until later but with the targets laid out as in the picture you can see a remarkably even increase in elevation with each step in charge weight. That's encouraging. I just loaded 10 rounds of 45.2, 46.3, 46.6, 46.9 to try out. It looks like accuracy might come back just above 46 grains. These were loaded 0.01" off the lands.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:55 PM   #11
oneoldsap

I've never seen that problem with an Aetec . Are you sure you didn't have some oversized rings ? If the scope was undersized it wouldn't tighten would it ?
Old December 4, 2012, 04:08 PM   #12
FiveInADime

@oneoldsap

We're talking a matter of maybe a few 1/1000", but without the shims, the rings almost completely close whereas they don't on every other scope I own. The scope would not keep from sliding in the rings (a set of lapped Leupold steel turn-in rings). I switched rings to Millets turn-in style and with shims they worked well, but without the shims the rings still closed almost completely. With the Leupold rings completely closed the hole wasn't round and pinched the scope, but still wouldn't keep it still.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:24 PM   #13
oneoldsap

Trial and Error is a good teacher ! I have a .358 Win that needs to have the scope rings well torqued .