The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 28, 2011, 09:55 PM   #1
The_Question

Choate +2 Magazine Extension for mossberg 590a1

so I bought the +2 extension for my mossberg 590a1, I have a 18.5 barrel and the website said it would fit but as I install it I can see that its too long and sticks past the muzzle, so heres my thoughts and I hope some of you more experienced fellas can give me some advice.

either I get someone to cut down the +2 extension and see if the extra two shells will fit, which I've heard some people do but i'm unsure of it.

or I get a +1 extension, trim down the spring a little that comes with it, and see if I can fit a +2 in it.

i've heard of people making custom extensions that fit the +2 for the 18.5 barrel but i've also heard those people take months, which I dont have much patience for.

so Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Old August 29, 2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Lee Lapin

How much longer is the magazine extension than the barrel?

It might look a little odd to have a shotgun with an underbite, but it won't hurt anything. Remington magazine extensions used to stick out a half inch or so past the muzzle, because they were originally designed to be used with barrel clamp assemblies that incorporated bayonet lugs, and the bayonet ring fit onto the end of the magazine extension. They always looked different, but it never made any difference.

If how it looks bothers you so much that you're considering having custom machine work done on your magazine extension, think about having the barrel threaded for choke tubes, and put in an extended choke tube long enough to make everything look like you want it to look. That might be a cheaper approach, and might be more useful too as you'll be able to experiment with different chokes as well to get the kind of patterns you want, within reason.

fwiw,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 29, 2011, 11:39 AM   #3
The_Question

this isn't my photo, as I've taken off the extension on my shotgun, but its exactly like this

it sticks out the same length as this, is this too far out? I dont exactly want to go around looking like an idiot lol.

i've never seen someone go around with the mag tube extending past the barrel hence why I ask
Old August 29, 2011, 11:42 AM   #4
Lee Lapin

Find your closest three-gun matches, and look at competitor's shotguns there. You'll see a number that look like that, it isn't unusual.

Are you SURE you got a 2-round extension? That one in the photo looks more like a three-round to me...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 29, 2011, 11:48 AM   #5
The_Question

i'm absolutely positive, from what I've been reading on the internet this is a common thing with the Choate +2 extension for the 18.5 barrel, I got the Mossberg 7 Shot Magazine Extension Parkerized (making it a 8 shot with one in the chamber)
Old August 29, 2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Lee Lapin

I put a Choate two-round extension on my 930 field/security combo, and with the 18.5" barrel it's even the muzzle. Combo pic (w/o mag extension) at http://www.shotgunwarehouse.com/item...30_Securt.aspx . AFAIK it's the same extension Mossberg puts on the SPX version of the 930 at the factory - see pic at http://www.shotgunwarehouse.com/item..._GRIP_8RD.aspx .

I have no other ideas about what happened with yours, I still think what you have there is a 3-shot extension, if it looks like the one in the picture.

Got me...

lpl

Old August 29, 2011, 12:16 PM   #7
The_Question

well, I think its because of the barrel ring on mine possibly, I dont see yours having one in the pic you provided, let me show you
this is the model i use

this is how it looks like with the extension.

I re-attached it to show you, with the +2 extension I bought which is called the 7 shot extension (to make 8 with the chamber).

I got the 18.5 barrel to be a little bit more maneuverable so my problem with it extending past the barrel is it somewhat defeats that purpose, despite my inexperience with modding firearms I think i'm doing it correctly.
Old August 29, 2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Lee Lapin

Apparently the barrel ring IS further forward on the 590 than on the 930. And that seems to be the problem, you do seem to have a 2-shot extension after all. Thanks for the pic with the correct gun, that helps a lot.

Let me poke around a little, I'm not a Mossberg go-to guy though I do have a few of them. Must be some kind of disclaimer out there for the 590, I would think, but maybe not. I'll be baaaaack...

lpl
===

First hit was your thread here -

Second hit was this - http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f...-18-5-a-39737/

Old August 29, 2011, 12:24 PM   #9
The_Question

I really do appreciate the help Lee.

I also contacted choate and told them of my predicament, he says he changed the website that the +2 really doesn't fit the 18.5 590a1's, i'm surprised for all the stuff I see on the internet no one contacted the company to notify them of this.
Old August 29, 2011, 12:32 PM   #10
Lee Lapin

Checking the Choate catalog, it says:

https://secure.RifleStock.com/catalo...2&NewProduct=0

6 Shot Model fits 18" barrel or longer. 7 Shot Model fits 20" barrel or longer. 8 or 9 Shot Model fits 24" barrel or longer. 10 Shot Model fits 26" barrel or longer. (Sling Swivel base clamps included with most extensions)

Bolding is mine... the fine print will getcha every time. Thing is, I don't know when they changed their catalog description and it might not have said that when you ordered yours. Sometimes it takes a while for news to get around.

But as you see, it pays to be persistent and not give up!

lpl (sometimes pays to have a tired old ree-tired librarian around too...)

Last edited by Lee Lapin; August 29, 2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old August 29, 2011, 12:39 PM   #11
The_Question

yeah that's the change on the website he told me he made because I told him what happened, he didn't have that previously. I'll just send it back and get the +1, losing one round wont kill me, and the +1 extension will still give me the option of adding a Tac light on the end.

thanks for your help
Old August 29, 2011, 12:42 PM   #12
Lee Lapin

See? You did the rest of the 590 owners in the world a favor by keepin' on keepin' on.

Are the folks at Choate gonna make it right by you now? I'd be surprised if they didn't.

lpl

Old August 29, 2011, 12:50 PM   #13
The_Question

they said to send the part back so I assume they'll send me the +1 model and he seems like he's going to work with me, which I expected because despite this oversight I hear nothing but good things about this company so.
Old December 15, 2011, 05:39 PM   #14
sp7

Quote:
despite this oversight I hear nothing but good things about this company so.
I just wanted to jump in and add my kudos to Choate as a company as well as their extensions. I ordered their +1 for my 590A1...which is really a +2 if you make a couple of small modifications to your set up. Clipping a Wolff spring down to around 30" and using the factory follower will allow 7 rounds (of 2 3/4" shells) in the tube.

Choate is the real deal. Their responsiveness is great, their customer service after your order is stellar, and they make a great product. For anyone looking for the much sought after 590A1 magazine extension to get you +2 rounds on an 18.5" barrel, look no further.

https://secure.riflestock.com/catalo...6&NewProduct=0
Old December 15, 2011, 05:44 PM   #15
sp7

....and by the way, if you value customer service at all, I would highly recommend you avoid Nordic Components. Not only do they not listen to customer input and respond to demand by making an extension that fits flush with the end of the barrel (like Choate's does) but they're incredibly rude, arrogant, and have that attitude that they really don't need your business and you're more of a nuisance than a paying customer. Choate is definitely the way to go for a quality product and great service.
Old February 9, 2012, 10:54 PM   #16
Firekite

sp7, you mention (and I've seen mentioned around the web) clipping a Wolff spring, but nobody seems to mention which Wolff spring you might be clipping. I have the 18.5" 590 with the Chaote extension and would like to get an extra round in there. Using the factory spring and follower everything works great, but I still can't fit 8 of the 2 3/4" rounds in there. Close, but no cigar, and I don't want to force it.

Is it the longer spring listed on the Wolff site for a 20" 590 barrel? http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...&cID=2&mID=103

Thanks!