The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old December 16, 2007, 01:50 AM   #1
MyGunsJammed

So I wanna buy a Vietnam-Era M-16A1 that has seen battle, can I?

I have 3 relatives in Thailand who are cheif of police in their provinces (all retired now) and some relatives who are serving as full time soldiers in the Thai army.

I do notice that many of them still use the old vietnam era M-16A1's....

A few years ago my uncle, who was chief of police in his province took me up into the mountains one day and let me go crazy firing his vietnam-era M-16A1..... which was a ton of fun...

so anyhow, suppose I live in a state which permits private ownership of full-auto rifles and suppose I have my class 3 licenses and tax stamps, will I be able to legally import one of my uncles old M-16A1 rifles if he happen to decide that he wanted to get rid one or two of them?

If this could be done legally, I can imagine how cool it would be to be able to go to the range and say, yeah, my old M-16A1 rifle has seen battle....

Discuss....
Old December 16, 2007, 02:37 AM   #2
AmesJainchill

You [probably] wouldn't be able to bring it into the country because of the [IIRC] 1989 import ban and you wouldn't be able to register it because of the 1986 Gun Owner's Protection Act, which stopped registration of new machine guns.

Sorry.
Old December 16, 2007, 02:59 AM   #3
MyGunsJammed

Humm interesting,

as for the import ban, I dont know if I can argue, hey, its an American made gun, made during the vietnam era
Old December 16, 2007, 10:24 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

The 1989 import ban only affects certain semi-auto weapons. The 1968 Gun Control Act would probably prevent the import of the M16 though. If it could be imported, then the next question would be whether the importer could register a pre-1986 machinegun as transferrable if it wasn't on the registry prior to 1986. I am guessing no; but I haven't looked up the law.
Old December 16, 2007, 10:36 AM   #5
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
The 1989 import ban only affects certain semi-auto weapons. The 1968 Gun Control Act would probably prevent the import of the M16 though. If it could be imported, then the next question would be whether the importer could register a pre-1986 machinegun as transferrable if it wasn't on the registry prior to 1986. I am guessing no; but I haven't looked up the law.
The answer is no. If the gun wasn't on the registry prior to the 1986 ban then you may not add it now regardless of when the gun was made. If you could register guns on the NFA based upon their year of manufacture, we would have a boat load of AK's and WWII machineguns for sale at dirt cheap prices.

I wish we could...

You could probably get an importer to bring it in as a military/police only weapon, then get a FFL/SOT and keep it around that way. However, if you did that you would need a police department here in the states draft you a demo letter saying they want to see the gun demonstrated. If you ever give up your FFL/SOT the gun either gets sold to another dealer or turned over to the government as you can't keep it.
Old December 16, 2007, 02:08 PM   #6
VUPDblue

Quote:
so anyhow, suppose I live in a state which permits private ownership of full-auto rifles and suppose I have my class 3 licenses and tax stamps, will I be able to legally import one of my uncles old M-16A1 rifles if he happen to decide that he wanted to get rid one or two of them?

You really need to look here:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=264851
Old December 16, 2007, 11:46 PM   #7
rkba_net

The IMPORTATION of NFA weapons for civilians was banned by the Gun Control Act of 1968... this is why you never see ORIGINAL FACTORY HK
MP5's for sale...
Old December 17, 2007, 06:54 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Here's what the ATF says. This is ONLY the NFA.
(M7) May a private citizen who owns an NFA firearm which is not registered have the firearm registered? [Back]
No. The NFA permits only manufacturers, makers, and importers to register firearms. Mere possessors may not register firearms. An unregistered NFA firearm is a contraband firearm, and it is unlawful to possess the weapon. The possessor should contact the nearest ATF office to arrange for its disposition.
[26 U.S.C. 5861(d)]

"Violators may be fined not more than $250,000, and imprisoned not more than 10 years, or both. In addition, any vessel, vehicle or aircraft used to transport, conceal or possess an unregistered NFA firearm is subject to seizure and forfeiture, as is the weapon itself."
[49 U.S.C. 781-788, 26 U.S.C. 5861 and 5872]

"(M11) How does a person qualify to import, manufacture, or deal in NFA firearms?
The person must be licensed under the GCA and pay the required special (occupational) tax imposed by the NFA. After becoming licensed under the GCA, he or she must file ATF Form 5630.7 with the appropriate tax payment in the entire amount with ATF. In addition, an importer (except importers of sporting shotguns and shotgun ammunition) must also be registered with ATF under the Arms Export Control Act of 1976.
[26 U.S.C. 5801, 18 U.S.C. 923, 27 CFR 447.31, 478.41 and 479.34]

"(N2) May machine guns be transferred from one registered owner to another?
Yes. If the machine gun was lawfully registered and possessed before May 19, 1986, it may be transferred pursuant to an approved ATF Form 4.
[18 U.S.C. 922(o)(2), 26 U.S.C. 5812]

The GCA doesn't allow firearms sent to Allies etc to be re-imported though.
Old December 17, 2007, 07:12 PM   #9
MyGunsJammed

^^

Thanks for the info....

ohh well screw it then.....I notice that buying a full auto M16 costs as much as buying a new car, and I am not that rich so ohh well....

I guess when go back for vacation in Thailand I'll have to call up my relatives who are still active duty soldiers, or police officers to take me to the range, then I can have some fun with their rusty ol' M16A1's
Old December 17, 2007, 11:49 PM   #10
AmesJainchill

Quote:
ohh well screw it then.....I notice that buying a full auto M16 costs as much as buying a new car, and I am not that rich so ohh well....
You'll never get there with that attitude!

You just need patience and self-discipline.
Old December 18, 2007, 07:20 PM   #11
MyGunsJammed

^^^

True, I agree, but I dont know man, unless I had $20K laying around to burn on a gun, I'll just stick with the semi-auto versions
Old January 11, 2008, 11:00 AM   #12
Reaperatm

you may not be able to get one from nam in specific, but they go for less than $15k here is one on arfcom http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...f=118&t=500726 i agree, i do not have that much money to go blow on a gun, but thats why they created the word "SAVINGS" lol
A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill
Old January 11, 2008, 09:55 PM   #13
MyGunsJammed

^^ Wow, thats a beauty... and a bargain too...
Old January 11, 2008, 11:17 PM   #14
novaDAK

Yep, these GCA and NFA and FOPA laws sure work at stopping crimes! :barf:

Best it looks like you can do is buy an AR15 with an M16A1 type handguard
Old January 12, 2008, 06:57 AM   #15
Rifleman 173

Jammed, this America, buddy. Think positive. Okay, so it's expensive to buy and own an old M-16 that shoots in full automatic mode. Plan ahead, do some work, save your bucks and down the road buy your dream gun. Of course, you may have to be selective where you live in order to have and use your toy because SOME states are so anti-gun. But the thing is that you CAN do what you want with some forethought and work over here. You've just got to research things. Go for your dream, buddy. Have at it. Now... as to my dream of being married to Shania Twain AND Faith Hill at the SAME TIME... well... Maybe I'm not being realistic in MY case but I can still hope, can't I?????