The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 2, 2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Roland Thunder

Car Carry

I have heard people say that if you have a CCW that car carry laws don't apply. I have a Georgia CCW and I'm in North Carolina. In NC I believe your gun has to be out in the open where the police can see it. Since you are not caring the gun on your possession it seems like CCW laws would not apply and you would have to adhere to the car carry laws regardless of whether you have a CCW or not.

I would be interested in your thoughts.
Old August 2, 2014, 07:44 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Each state is different in their laws, and how they are interpreted. And, while there are some general things that are usually constant, you need to check the specific laws for the state(s) you are in. And check carefully.

In my home state (for example) one cannot have a loaded firearm in a motor vehicle, unless it is a handgun, and on your person.

Some states define "loaded" as being the gun, and ammo in the same container, NOT making any distinction as to the ammo being in the gun, or not. And the "container" can be the passenger compartment of your car.

It varies a lot, so do your research.
Old August 2, 2014, 08:00 PM   #3
Jimboh247

In NC, you can open carry in your car, as long as the handgun is in plain sight. With a Concealed Carry Permit, all you have to do is present your permit and drivers license if stopped, and let the officer know you have a weapon in the car.You could keep your pistol in the glovebox, console, or on your person. etc.
Old August 3, 2014, 12:00 PM   #4
Koda94

Quote:
Since you are not caring the gun on your possession it seems like CCW laws would not apply and you would have to adhere to the car carry laws regardless of whether you have a CCW or not.

I would be interested in your thoughts.
this is how I look at it until I otherwise take the time to look up the law that says otherwise for the state in question.
Old August 3, 2014, 11:11 PM   #5
rwilson452

Laws very from state to state. Here in PA a pistol in your car is considered concealed carry. the strange thing is you can carry a loaded firearm but not a long gun with any state license but if you step out of the car you must have a license recognized by PA or open carry it. Except in Philly in Philly requires a license to either open or concealed carry. Having a loaded long gun in your car is a no-no anytime.
Old August 18, 2014, 11:36 PM   #6
62coltnavy

The first thing you have to check is whether the state you are in recognizes the CCW from the state you came from. If it does not, then you have to follow the law as if you did not have a CCW at all. For example, California does not recognize a CCW from any other state (and therefore the only way to legally transport a firearm is unloaded and in a locked container). NYC does not recognize any CCW other than those issued by the City itself, not even NYS CCWs, and furthermore does not abide by the federal safe harbor transport provisions of FOPA. If you are found in possession of a firearm, you will be arrested (has happened with regularity at the airport) and charged with a misdemeanor, which you may fight, but the cost of defense far exceeds the value of the gun that you will never see again. I suspect that NJ doesn't have reciprocity for any other state either. Until recently, it was pretty much the same in D.C.
Old August 19, 2014, 03:30 PM   #7
Paul B.

Dunno if this will help or not. It's supposed to be kept up to date.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...ry-reciprocity

Paul B.