The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 26, 2014, 09:33 AM   #1
RevChris1

New CZ P09 vs. SW M&P Full Size (in 9mm)

I am looking to buy my first handgun. I have narrowed down to a 9mm full size. The two models that feel the best to me are the CZ P09 and the full size M&P. Does anyone have experience w/ these? Which one would you lean towards and why? Thanks for the help!
Old June 26, 2014, 09:45 AM   #2
JNad

I have a P07, and my ONLY complaint is lack of aftermarket support in terms of sight options. Holsters are easy enough to get, but night sights are tough (nearly impossible) to come by. If you don't love the trigger, which you probably will, Cajun Gunworks and CZ Custom can solve that problem for you. I thought I loved the trigger on my 07, until I put a Cajun Gunworks hammer kit in it. Now I love it, and what I felt before was just "strong like."

I have zero experience with the M&P, but I love my CZ. The 07 is plenty accurate, so I am sure the extra sight radius on the 09 will only make it better.

Sounds like a tough decision ahead.
Old June 26, 2014, 09:52 AM   #3
sigarms228

RevChris1. Have you tried any of these yet?? That is the best way to determine what works best for YOU.

They are two very different pistols with M&P being striker fired and the CZ being hammer fired double action/single action. Many shooters have a strong preference for one trigger action over the other and some like both.

Finding a M&P to rent should be easy but probably not the CZ model though you can at least rent a hammer fired pistol to see what they are like if you have never tried one.
Old June 26, 2014, 10:01 AM   #4
RevChris1

Thanks for the insight. I haven't tried them, I have to travel to next town to rent a gun. No one w/in 100 miles has the CZ, but I am guessing they have M&P. Trying to find out. Heard a lot of good things about the trigger on CZ. A very few, but some complaints about the trigger on M&P (grainy and takes a little more force). Research wise the DA/SA seem like best, but really don't know much at this point.
Old June 26, 2014, 10:06 AM   #5
DubC-Hicks

Between the two, I would get the P-09. The trigger is nicer and it fits my hands very well. 19+1 capacity is hard to beat, too.
Old June 26, 2014, 11:27 AM   #6
Dirty_Harry

Between the 2 I would get the CZ.

But if your not stuck on either, hold out for a HK VP9 or pick up an FNS-9.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old June 26, 2014, 03:05 PM   #7
SteelChickenShooter

I would say CZ because my experience with CZ has been favorable while my experience with the full size M&P was not.
Old June 26, 2014, 03:52 PM   #8
RevChris1

@Steel Chicken Shooter- what were some of the negatives for the M&P for you?
Old June 26, 2014, 04:39 PM   #9
ritepath

I'm kinda in the same boat....my next 9mm CZ p-09 or M&P CORE

I can get the CORE locally for 639 but I'd have to go to Buds or somewhere for the 09 in the 450 +25 range.

I checked out the pros about a month ago and almost pulled the trigger then, but since I've kinda fell for the CZ even though I haven't held anything but the 07. Of course I wouldn't mind a CZ 75 SA either...
Old June 28, 2014, 02:06 PM   #10
SteelChickenShooter

My issues with my full size M&P 9mm were:
1) a loose front sight that shifted during firing.
2) an unacceptable delta between POA/POI on elevation.
3) an absence of simple and helpful dialog from S&W regarding the front sight fix.
I never knew if the front sight was too narrow or the slot cut in the slide was too wide. I never knew if the front sight was too high or the rear sight was too low. I never knew if they replaced the slide.
I never knew if it was a simple matter of glue to secure the front sight.
Nothing communicated at all about what was wrong and what was done.
After the front sight was secure, and being returned to me, it stayed in place during firing, but my POA/POI was still off as it was at first.
I am well pleased with other handguns I shoot. This particular M&P 9mm just didn't work as well for me. I dumped it to let the next user fix the sights as they chose. And the CZ is still what I use.
Old June 30, 2014, 12:50 PM   #11
pilpens

I had a CZ P07 - felt good in the shop but I did not like it when I started shooting. DA was OK, SA was light, and the thumb safety rubbed my thumb every time it recoiled -- sold the pistol approx 1 month after I bought it.
I tried the M&P when they first came out and could not get use to the trigger, sold the thing. Around the time I bought the CZ, I also got an M&P 9mm with safety lever -- even with Apex parts, I am still iffy on the trigger. Sweet recoil feel on this pistol. When it is the only pistol I shoot for the day, I do OK but when I switch between the M&P and my Glock or 1911 or others, I mess up my groups with the M&P.
==
If I am to get a pistol now --- I think I would skip the M&P and the CZP07/P07 and get a CZ75B. I just shot one with a competition hammer and decocker. It has made me rethink my position on CZ75B --- Had a CZ 75B SA that I sold because of the hammer camming during trigger pull. I am am now regretting selling it and considering trading one of my polymer pistols for a CZ 75 + comp hammer.

Tags
9mm , cz p09 , m&p