The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 18, 2013, 05:49 PM   #1
TOM RENZO

Gun Buy backs

Ridgefield had a gun buy back a few months ago. The police said to put your guns in the trunk and drive over to the town garage. First if you do not have a carry permit you can not transport a handgun in your car or for that matter take it out of your home as i ws told. Also the new State law requires transfer paper work for all gun transfers and i have read the law and have not found anything that exempts the Police from this paper work! Is gun buy backs legal?? And also can a person like me do the Boy Scout merit badge shooting tests. The law says i can not transfer ammo to anyone under 18 or anyone not having proper paper work. ASlso can i sell AMMO to out of state customers at the range with an out of state carry permit. There seems to be a great deal of confusion. Everytime i ask weapons there story is different depending on who you talk with. Thank you if you can answer this i would appreciate it!
Old October 18, 2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

It would really help if we knew what state you are in.
Old October 18, 2013, 09:09 PM   #3
TOM RENZO

That would be Ridgefield CT
Old October 18, 2013, 10:53 PM   #4
armoredman

The whole term "buy back" irritates me to no end - they cannot buy "back" what they never owned. Second, this is a clear case of "we are the law - we will say who we arrest and who we don't arrest." Don't trust it without a clear opinion, preferably by the state AG.
I wish you the best of luck in getting your rights back, sir.
Old October 19, 2013, 06:38 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

If they had a "buyback" program a few months ago, after having passed the latest round of laws, I'd say that they "got away with it". Don't let them get away with it again!

I believe I heard of a buyback that had to be cancelled, (in NY IIRC), because it got pointed out that they had to comply with ALL the new laws there. And they couldn't. (or wouldn't?).
Old October 19, 2013, 06:52 PM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Not an L&CR topic. Moved to Gen. Discussion.
Old October 19, 2013, 10:18 PM   #7
TOM RENZO

Here is the reason i ask this. As an instructor of the boy scout shooting merit badge program i can not transfer ammo to them so they can qualify. CT law forbids it. So how can they do the program?? The state police will not answer our question on this. We also sell AMMO at the range in CT and we asked if out of state residents with permits can buy ammo. Once again no answer. Also are gun Buy Backs ILLEGAL? I say YES because the new law does not exempt Police officers or police agencies. This is how i read it and once again weapons will not answer our questions. Does anyone know the answers to these questions. Thank You!!
Old October 19, 2013, 10:52 PM   #8
m52a2

Sounds Like CT's gun laws are illegal.
Old October 21, 2013, 08:01 AM   #9
Skans

I'm having my own gun buy-back. I'm paying $100 for all Browning Hi-Powers with serial numbers that start with "T" or "C".
Old October 21, 2013, 04:24 PM   #10
jag2

Most LE (but admittedly not all) have common sense and are not out to ruin your day and they are not out to bust a boy scout troop having a safe day at the range. I think the same would apply to anyone buying a couple of boxes of ammo to shoot at the range. Now if someone pulls up in a semi at a supermarket and starts selling cases of ammo out the back to anyone with enough money, yeah, I think LE is going to ruin their day. (maybe in CT, probably not in TX) As for gun buy backs, sure I wish I could look them over and maybe buy one. But just because you and I enjoy owning guns and have them around the house doesn't mean everybody else does. I think it is an excellent program for people that don't feel comfortable having a gun in the house. They're not quite sure what to do with it. A buy back offers them a safe solution and puts a few bucks in their pockets. Don't see any problem with that. They don't really care how it got there and how the heck would they even know if it is safely locked in your trunk. Just my opinions.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; October 21, 2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: removed snark.
Old October 21, 2013, 05:34 PM   #11
RUT

How much are they paying?
Old October 22, 2013, 06:25 AM   #12
2ndsojourn

About three months ago NJ had a buyback program in a town just outside Atlantic City. A few dealers set up out on the street outside and were offering more money than the program was offering. Needless to say, the local cops didn't like it but couldn't do anything about it.
Old October 25, 2013, 05:38 AM   #13
BoogieMan

@Jag2-- I would tend to agree with what you are saying. 99% of the time your worst case scenario would be LE telling you you need to stop the activity. BUT, if you get LE that doesnt think subjects should be armed or one who is trying to make a name for him/herself by getting gun busts then you could find yourself in a heap of trouble. Not often but I hear of someone who is busted for a bogus crime. In NJ you cant have ammo or firearms in the car while spotting deer with a light. A buddy of mine turned around in a field and was busted by F&G for having a box of stingers in the car. 50 counts of illegal possession of ammunition. Cost him thousands.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old October 25, 2013, 12:10 PM   #14
RickB

And I love the "amnesty" aspect, where it's no-questions-asked, so dump that hot gun that you used to gun-down your drug dealing rival, and the police will melt it down for you.
Old October 25, 2013, 01:59 PM   #15
SIGSHR

Yes, they cannot 'buy back' what was not theirs in the first place. And did you ever hear of a "buy back" for controlled substances or counterfeit money?
Old October 26, 2013, 08:04 AM   #16
std7mag

I dislike any of the LE "buy back" programs.
Lets face it, many of us here would love the opportunity to purchase a firearm at a much cheaper price than the going resale value.
And we would hopefully act responsibly with said firearm.

As opposed to the LE buybacks that are simply going to melt them down.

I cry every time I hear of a "buy back"....
Old October 26, 2013, 10:13 PM   #17
medalguy

Seems the proper question to answer is about the scouts wanting to shoot. Does providing ammo at the range for their use while at the range, and not allowing them to take any ammo away from the range, constitute a transfer? I would argue that that is NOT a transfer. It is still under your control. However, if you gave them a box of ammo and allowed them to take it home with them, that definitely WOULD be a transfer.

That might be a better question to ask the police, or your local prosecutor's office-- what is the definition of "transfer" of ammunition?