The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 8, 2010, 07:47 PM   #1
Hog Hunter

Getting ready for deer season???

I was just wonderin how you guys get your cloths ready befor huntin season opens? Example- I hang all my cloths that im gonna wear in a tree so they can air out some. The day before I get ready to go I usally take some kind of deer atracktant, this year itll be buck bran, and put my cloths in a trash bag and put a lil bit of it in there. I use buck bran because that is what i have put out for the past few months. I figure if I smell like what they have been feddin on itll bring them in if they happen to com in down wind of me. I do ALOT of hunting from the ground and it has worked for me in the past. Really just looking for som tips and different techniques of what you guys do to prepare for the season.
Old September 8, 2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Buzzcook

I take them out of the drawer and put them on.
Old September 8, 2010, 11:19 PM   #3
Hoskins

With my clothes I wash them in Sport Wash or Scent Killer. I will air dry them in the back yard. Once they are dry, I will gather some leaves, pine needles, a few pine combs, and a couple of hands full of dirt & put it in the bottom of the bag. By bag, I don't mean some kind of expensive uber scent controlled/air tight bag...I just use garbage bags & double them up.

Regardless of how much scent control I do...the most critical factor is for me to play the wind. I figure being "ALMOST" scent free will not fool the deer's nose...but it may at least help make up for any of my errors or a sudden change in wind direction.
Old September 9, 2010, 01:17 AM   #4
publius

At the beginning of the season I put my clothes in a garbage bag with a paper towel soaked with vanilla extract. After a couple of weeks i usually get lazy and take them out of the closet and put them on.
Old September 9, 2010, 11:19 AM   #5

Here is a cheap way that I use from time to time. Wash your clothes in scent free laundry soap (not hunting style, regular laundry soap). Then, I re-wash with a cup of baking soda. I have added cover scents after the fact and also stored clothes in a sealed up garbage sacks as well.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old September 9, 2010, 12:04 PM   #6
longranger

Archery season is open now,missed a very nice 6X5 last night,37yds downhill shot right over his back.My clothes and gear were ready to hunt at the end of last season,no time spent putting stuff together.My gear is always ready to go,pick it up or put it on.
Old September 11, 2010, 10:21 PM   #7
Lewiston

Quote:
My clothes and gear were ready to hunt at the end of last season,no time spent putting stuff together.My gear is always ready to go,pick it up or put it on.
Same here. They are stored in scent free bags within seal-able containers. Shower's next to the hunting room. Get dressed and head out the back door to appropriate stand based on weather conditions. When done for the day clothes get sprayed down with scent killer and placed back in bags for the next day.
Old September 12, 2010, 06:35 AM   #8
hooligan1

This is one subject or step, that I feel tops on my todo list. Gather and sort all hunting clothing that I'll be, or I "might" be wearing. Then I generally use the sportwash or the hunters specialty stuff, then dry with a couple of those Dead Down Wind dryer sheets, that smell like dirt.( once I dried my wifes work clothes and underwear with those things I got in trouble) Trash bag those dudes ntil the morning of get dressed, drive to hunting spot, and I ALWAYS, WITHOUT FAIL HUNT THE WIND!!! Cause if we eliminate the human factor wer'e generally more effective!! And listen I'm not really a religous person but I always say a prayer on my way to the hunt, first for safe travel of all hunters, safe hunting, and a fruitful hunt being last or less relivant.. (i've been more suuccessful then not with this routine fellas!)
Old September 12, 2010, 10:20 AM   #9
Deerhunter

I wash all my cloths in Primos earth scent detergent. Then I use the dryer sheets when I dry my cloths. I put all the cloths into scent lock bags or trash bags (got the scent lock bags cheap and they hold up). When I get up in the morning I shower with scent free soap and then put on socks shorts and tshirt. I wait till I get out to the woods to put on my pants, shirt and jacket.

It has worked for me. Not saying that is why I get deer just what I do.
Old September 13, 2010, 08:59 PM   #10
BIG P

I hunt out of ground blinds alot use no scent soap inside blind wash down the walls& top.I turn over 2 or 3 shovles full of dirt set up the blind over the fresh dirt works pretty good cheap & easy.

Last edited by BIG P; September 16, 2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old September 14, 2010, 12:34 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

Step 1: Where did I put that crap?
Step 2: Damn. It's still dirty.
Step 3: Wash dirty hunting cloths with evil UV-Brightener detergent.
Step 4: Wear said evil clothing (smelling of "Apple Orchards in Blossom", or whatever the wife decided to buy).
Step 5: Put on plenty of deodorant and cologne. 'Cause, Wow, there's some stank going on from the scramble to throw stuff together the morning of the hunt.
Step 6: Fill tag.
Step 7: Throw dirty, stinky, bloody hunting cloths in random corner, to be forgotten until next year.

My main piece of hunting clothing is a sweater I got for my 14th birthday. It looks like a pile of tangled yarn, and the pattern is sorely outdated.... but it's comfortable, warm, and still fits. Deer, Antelope, and Elk are bewildered at the sight of it, and are distracted long enough for me to launch a projectile into their vital organs.
Old September 14, 2010, 07:30 AM   #12
sserdlihc

I wash mine in Scent-Away, then hang them outside for a week before I go in the woods.
Old September 14, 2010, 03:50 PM   #13
shortwave

Get clothes off hook in barn. Shake spiders out of pockets. Put em on, walk to stand and hunt. Get back home, hang clothes back on hook. Repeat.
Old September 14, 2010, 03:59 PM   #14
Legionnaire

I wash them in scent killer a couple of days before I want them, then hang them under the eaves on the back porch until I'm ready to go.
Old September 14, 2010, 04:19 PM   #15
jimbob86

We put all our exterior clothes- bibs, parkas, hats, gloves, hunting belts, boots ..... in trash bags half full of newly fallen cottonwood leaves: free "forest floor" cover scent!
Old September 19, 2010, 01:02 AM   #16
Lewiston

Quote:
Step 1: Where did I put that crap?
Step 2: Damn. It's still dirty.
Step 3: Wash dirty hunting cloths with evil UV-Brightener detergent.
Step 4: Wear said evil clothing (smelling of "Apple Orchards in Blossom", or whatever the wife decided to buy).
Step 5: Put on plenty of deodorant and cologne. 'Cause, Wow, there's some stank going on from the scramble to throw stuff together the morning of the hunt.
Step 6: Fill tag.
Step 7: Throw dirty, stinky, bloody hunting cloths in random corner, to be forgotten until next year.

Reminds me of the story of the farmer reeking of diesel fuel who went out to his bow stand and bagged a trophy buck. Stand placement & wind direction is everything.
Old September 19, 2010, 02:22 AM   #17
jcjr3020

Quote:
I take them out of the drawer and put them on.
I tried the sent free soaps and all, killed just as meany deer with as without. I get the clothes out of the shed, after hunting that day they go in the back seat of the truck and after hunting season they will go back in the shed.
Old September 19, 2010, 05:47 AM   #18
Kreyzhorse

I wash them in plain water. Put my bibs and jacket outside the night before. Grab some pine needles and rub them over my jacket and bibs. Walk into the woods. Hunt.