The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 27, 1999, 06:57 PM   #1
cornered rat

I have a Remington 11 (Auto 5 clone) in 12ga that I use for practice. Someday it may be pressed into serious use, though it is far too long for that (and I do not know how reliable a recoil-operated design could be).

For now I shoot #7 and #4 shot in it. I just bought a box of 10 00 buckshot, to see how it patterns with them. What I am curious about, is modified choke barrel OK for use with rifled or sabot slugs? Will it damage the choke? What kind of accuracy can I expect at 25m? 50m? 100m?

The barrel in 26" right now. The place where I bought it could cut it down to 18,5" to make it clear the top shelf of my safe easier and to handle better. I could leave it cylinder choke. Would it still cycle with the shorter barrel? Would the recoil increase dramatically or only slightly?

------------------
Cornered "but cheery" Rat
http://ddb.com/RKBA Updated March 20

Old March 27, 1999, 10:59 PM   #2
snoman

C.R., It should be fine in a Mod. choke,Brenneke slugs have "ribs" that are designed to colapse in a tighter choke..

---snoman---
Old March 28, 1999, 09:32 AM   #3
Ray VanderLinden

CR,
Use only Foster (rifled) slugs in that shotgun. Sabot slugs are made for rifled barrels and no choke, even with an open choke sabot slug Accuracy would be poor to nonexistant.
I wouldn't cut the barrel down, I think someone made a 22 inch open choke barrel for the M-11 but I can't remember who.

Safety note: Never push the barrel back on that shotgun (Auto 5, M-11, or Clones). It can fire a shell in the chamber from pushing the barrel(toward the breach) back too hard. Not a Defect just a function of that design.
Old March 28, 1999, 01:00 PM   #4
cornered rat

I know that steel shot is not good for the barrel on mod.11 -- would "rifled" slugs cause too much wear?

As for cutting the barrel down...I wanted it to be easier to handle. WOuld that impair reliability?

My gun, BTW, was made in 1924. Serial # 480xxx. Remington people said "fire slugs IF it is in good repair:.

[This message has been edited by cornered rat (edited March 29, 1999).]
Old March 29, 1999, 10:10 PM   #5
olegunftr

Sir rat
again, foster type "rifled" slugs are fine. Stay away from the breneke type in that they operate at a pressure above that recommended by SAAMI, especially in an older gun. dont abuse the ole baby.

------------------
Vinny