The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 9, 2010, 09:53 PM   #1
zippy13

Product Safety Warning - Pietta Remington

PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING - PIETTA REMINGTON

I was surprised to learn the hammer wouldn't engage the safety notches. The culprit is a Pietta stainless fixed sight 1958 Remington replica. I got it from Cabela's, Ser. No. R2552XX. After some work on the hammer with a file and stone, it now engages the notches. IMHO you shouldn't have to modify a gun to get a safety device to operate.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old March 9, 2010, 10:22 PM   #2
Hawg

No and I've had a few Pietta's. Should have sent it back, they'd have replaced it.
Old March 10, 2010, 07:47 AM   #3
horseman308

No problems with mine. I got it new at Christmas from Cabela's. It's the standard .44 blued
Old March 10, 2010, 11:34 AM   #4
madcratebuilder

It's not uncommon for your new Italian revolver to need some final fitting, no need for a

PRODUCT SAFETY WARNING - PIETTA REMINGTON

Most shooters well carry a cap and ball on a empty chamber, preferring that to the safety notches/pins.
Old March 10, 2010, 12:01 PM   #5
zippy13

madcratebuilder wrote:
It's not uncommon for your new Italian revolver to need some final fitting, no need for a (eek).
That may be the general case. I don't mind easing some rough edges; but, IMHO, the all safety device should work right out of the box. This wasn't a kit gun.
Most shooters well carry a cap and ball on a empty chamber, preferring that to the safety notches/pins.
True, that's why I'd not previously tried to use the notches. I was introducing two new shooters to C & B at the local range. One asked about the notches, and I explained their use. That's when we discovered that the Pietta's didn't work.
Old March 10, 2010, 07:09 PM   #6
bedbugbilly

I bought a Pietta '58 Navy (.36) from Cabelas last summer in Michigan - no problems at all with it. I've always kept an empty chamber in the cylinder of my Colts - haven't shot the Remmie yet. I understand where you're coming from though. Regardless of any tuning they might need, I agree with the gentleman who said you ought to have sent it back - in this day and age of liability claims, even if it needed tuning, the safety notch should be functioning when it gets to the consumer. Regardless of all of that, if it was purchased over the counter at Cabelas, the salesman should have had enough sense to check it before it left the store - mail order, that's another story. But . . . we don't live in a perfect world either. Just glad you got it taken care of. Good luck with your shooting!
Old March 10, 2010, 08:07 PM   #7
robhof

robhof

That's why I like my ROA, American made and safe, but now they don't make them any more and my favorite shooters are becoming valuable collectables...