The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2009, 09:15 AM   #1
kenfa03

Powder/bullet Suggestions

New to reloading and trying to get some supplies together. My question is can I start out with one powder for 2506, 7mm08, and 270 to load for hunting? And also what would be some good bullet choices for these calibers.
Old January 21, 2009, 09:53 AM   #2
Sevens

Good bullet choices... do you mean by weight or by maker? If you mean by weight, then that's something that you likely already know if you are familiar with these calibers. If you mean by brand, than any of the big makers build TERRIFIC rifle bullets. Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Barnes, each of them makes different bullets for different applications and all of them are high in quality.

Powder choice? I would start with a brand that you can find LOCALLY. Buying powder online is a losing game unless you buy many pounds of it because you have to pay for shipping and also for the hazardous materials handling fee. So if you have a local gun store or sporting goods joint that carries, say, HODGDON brands, begin your search for powder with Hodgdon.

Then, visit the website of the powder maker. In this case, www.hodgdon.com and this will lead you to their reloading data center. They will list starting and max charge weights in ANY caliber you choose, and they'll list options for different powders.

So get your three calibers, pick your bullet weights and punch them in to the website and see which powder comes up the most often. Then go buy a can of it!

If I loaded those calibers also, I'd be happy to suggest a powder. Perhaps someone else does, and will. In the mean time, check the website. Hodgdon also markets all of the Winchester and IMR powders, so it's really three brands in one by visiting the Hodgdon site.

Other options are Ramshot, Accurate, Vihtavuori, and Alliant.
Old January 21, 2009, 09:53 AM   #3
oneounceload

If you know what bullets, (brand) you want to use, get their loading manual - then you'll be able to see IF there is one powder that will work; even if there is, that doesn't mean you will get your best accuracy in each caliber. Every caliber and every rifle has a tendency to be particular about what it likes best, and how much of it works the best - part of the fun, (and frustration), of reloading, especially for rifles
Old January 21, 2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Absolutely.

There are a number of powders from the different companies that are suitable for all three of those cartridges.

My personal favorites are either IMR 4320 or IMR 4064.
Old January 21, 2009, 07:14 PM   #5
kenfa03

Just got back from gunshop with Lyman's 49th edition, IMR 4064, Hodgdon Varget, CCI 200 primers, Hornady .284 154 Gr SP Interlocks, and Hornady .257 117 gr RN Interlocks. Did I make a mistake with the RN's? Haven't heard too muck about them. Didn't notice till I got home that they were RN's. They were totally out of brass.
Old January 21, 2009, 07:17 PM   #6
DiscoRacing

imr 4064 powder with 150 grain bullet,,,cci 250 magnum primer
Old January 21, 2009, 07:29 PM   #7
kenfa03

Didn't get magnum primers. Do I need them?
Old January 21, 2009, 07:32 PM   #8
DiscoRacing

many people use 200s... i started using mag 250s awhile back... seems to work better for me with the 4064 and 4831 powders