The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old March 27, 2008, 04:33 PM   #1
scsov509

Prestige Law Enforcement

Long story condensed as short as possible:
  • Purchased holographic sight from this business at local gunshow on January 5
  • Discovered next day that sight was broken and would not adjust for windage or elevation as it should
  • Contacted seller via email through website twice, but received no response (http://www.smartcart.com/seeatnight/help.htm)
  • Called retailer via phone February 1, left message describing problem (http://www.smartcart.com/seeatnight/about.htm)
  • Received return call February 5 from retailer, and he agreed to replace sight if I shipped it back
  • Called retailer February 14 and left message that I was shipping sight
  • Received call February 15, and I informed retailer that I was going to prepay the return shipping so that he could quickly ship out new sight replacement
  • Shipped sight February 20 which was received by retailer February 22 per UPS tracking number 1Z1E442F0379994276

And the moral of the story is that five weeks, two emails, and three phone calls later I have not had any contact from this retailer nor has my replacement been shipped. I feel I have been more than patient in this matter and even went the extra mile to prepay the return shipping, which turns out to have been wise so that I can verify that he never shipped the replacement. (If you are so inclined then you can verify for yourself by looking up the return tracking number 1Z1E442F0313327879. It shows that billing info was received 2/20, which is the date that I shipped the defective sight and paid for the return shipping which was included in the box.)

I have all but given up on this business, but figured I could at least spare others the hassle of having to deal with them. I would highly advise against purchasing anything from Prestige Law Enforcement (http://www.seeatnight.com). If you're not an online shopper then you might also watch out for this business at gunshows which is where I purchased my sight. Hopefully this warning will help others avoid a similar situation.
Old March 27, 2008, 05:02 PM   #2
ssilicon

File criminal charges if you can. It can be hard with stuff like this unless you can show there was deliberate bad faith and or fraud. Civil is all you really have left. You might look into small claims court, especially if the company physically does business at shows in your area.
Old March 27, 2008, 05:25 PM   #3
scsov509

I don't think that this is an issue of deliberate bad faith or fraud, but that this guy is just generally a poor businessman. I'm sure my defective sight and prepaid shipping are sitting around somewhere forgotten. I'm even willing to accept that he made a mistake of just plain forgot. But not returning emails or phone calls and dragging this whole thing on now over two months? That's just unacceptable, and others need to know that this is how he does business.

The joke of all this is that he told me when I bought the site that he was "mad" about customer service, and that if I ever had any problems he'd take care of me. Their website even says, "All of our products are backed by a five year warranty. Warranty and post-warranty repairs are handled quickly by dealing direct with our office" (http://www.smartcart.com/seeatnight/about.htm).
Old April 1, 2008, 01:49 PM   #4
scsov509

Just an update to let you all know that I have been calling this business every other day and have still gotten no response. I also called a number in Florida from which this individual called me when we spoke in February, but I received a message that the number is now disconnected. Please watch for this business at gun shows in your area so you don't get cheated out of your hard earned money as well.
Old April 1, 2008, 05:40 PM   #5
ssilicon

I'm not saying this to the OP, but it is a general statement.

Always pay with CREDIT CARD, so that you don't end up having to be burned. In this day and age, where tons of even little ma and pa businesses can process credit card sales, there just really is no reason to pay cash to any kind of business where you would assume risk. If you buy a hamburger you aren't assuming much risk. If you buy a product that costs real money and won't know if it is in good working order until later, insist on using CC.

Dealings with other private people is a different matter and of course usually they can't process a CC. Even then, checks and or bills of sale are wise. There is no proof of payment with cash alone. None.