The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old February 7, 2002, 08:50 PM   #1
Fraser

Fer cryin' out loud, it's PATERSON ya dummy!

I buy SWAT and other gun rags in hopes of learning more about firearms and to be entertained. Hopefully, the gun writers the mags host are knowledgeable types - been around, seen the elephant and so on.

But when the writer can't even get the name of the gun right, well I wanna' throw up.

Bought the March 2002 issue of SWAT. Inside is an article by a guy named Paul Scarlata -"Then and Now: The Evolution of the Service Handgun."

Anyway, he mentions the Texas Rangers and their Colt "Patterson" revolvers. Fer cryin' out loud. Paterson has 1 "T", not 2. Jeez.

William Paterson of NJ was a Revolutionary War hero and member of the Constitutional Convention. Brought up the amendment dealing with small state's rights, you know, the Senate.

The City of Paterson, NJ was named after him. (Note: 1 T). Colt moved in to make revolvers...hence the name Colt "Patersons." The Texas Rangers Museum in Waco does not have any 'Patterson' revolvers on display.

Paterson, NJ - the famous Colt factory. America's first planned industrial city. Birthplace of the modern submarine and Lou Costello. Home to Rogers Locomotive Works, maker of THE GENERAL of Civil War fame.

Paterson - 1 T, please.
Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2002, 09:50 PM   #2
Aion

If only that was the end of it. I see glaring typos in every darn magazine I pick up, and not just the "it's" vs "its" stuff, either. You'd think someone who writes for a living would either know this stuff or buy a software program smarter than they are.

- Aion
Aion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2002, 03:34 PM   #3
Rich Lucibella
Staff

And you're both correct. Typos are inexcusable in a national publication. The ones that are toughest to catch include proper names (Paterson) and misplaced/misused words that are not caught by a spell check (it's). Still, this is a sore spot with me and one that we continue to work to eliminate.

Hope the content overshadowed the typos.
Rich
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2002, 05:02 PM   #4
KSFreeman

I'd like to see the original manuscript. Wonder who got it wrong first?
KSFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2002, 01:55 AM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Need another staff editor?

It's what I do for a living, finding other people's mistakes and correcting them.

I've done it with newspapers, a financial institution, a government contractor (currently), and American Rifleman magazine.

I've also got a relatively decent firearms library.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Mike Irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2002, 12:17 PM   #6
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Thanks Mike. We'll certainly keep you in mind.
Rich Lucibella
Rich Lucibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2002, 04:53 PM   #7
Fraser

Ah, jeez. Now Soldier of Fortune goes and does the same dang thing. Guy by the name of Bagwell says that "in 1836 when he invented the Patterson Colt revolver....." See June 2002 issue, p. 68.

Maybe I should go call Mayor Marty Barnes of Paterson and ask him to change the name of the city.

Now SWAT's June issue was pretty darn good, especially that article on Rapid Deployment Training for Patrol Officers.
Fraser is offline   Reply With Quote