The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 22, 2014, 03:44 PM   #1
ZVP

What draws you to Black Powder?

For me it's the discharge sound and the smooth recoil of my revolvers! Black Powder has a deep, powerful sound when it goes off!
To me Smokeless has a sharp crack.
I like both but BP just does something for me!
ZVP
Old March 22, 2014, 03:53 PM   #2
the rifleer

I like it because its cheap and you still get the enjoyment of shooting.
Old March 22, 2014, 03:59 PM   #3
Kappe

The sound, the smoke, the history... Also ease of reloading.

Reloading smokeless cartridges? More than a few grains over, or heaven forbid a double charge and you could be in deep trouble.
Reloading blackpowder cartridges? Fill 'er up and stuff a bullet on top.
Old March 22, 2014, 03:59 PM   #4
g.willikers

The smell of rotten eggs in the morning?
Or is it being able to buy BP shootin' irons without being treated like a potential criminal?
Old March 22, 2014, 06:52 PM   #5
Pahoo

What a great question !!!

For me, on the Traditionals, it's the history and yes, romance !!! I also like working with primitive weapons, in generals and use to make my own bows and arrows. In school I didn't do well in history and really into it, now. Yes, I too like the smoke, recoil, putting a good shot-string together and working on all aspect, including the leather, running lead and making horns as well as flasks. ...

On MMLs, teaching and noting else. ....

In regards to M/Ls as well as other things, there are those that touch your heart and M/Ls, does it for me !! ...

Be Safe !!!
Old March 22, 2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Hawg

History mostly but the smoke and smell gets in your blood.
Old March 22, 2014, 07:19 PM   #7
BirchOrr

My signature at the bottom of my posts says it all...

Birch
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...
Old March 23, 2014, 06:29 AM   #8
dr1445

i sold all my handguns several years ago, got tired off all the red tape here in ct, and have been happy with my rifles. this winter, a ruger old army with parts gun came up at my club for a very friendly price, plus no paper trail. then came cableas xmas sale and a pietta rem 5 1/2 44, then a lgs pietta rem 36 and a uberti rem 36. now i have a lead pot and molds, so it goes.
Old March 23, 2014, 08:00 AM   #9
Chris_B

The pistols are just too cool not to want to shoot them
Old March 23, 2014, 08:21 AM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

History, fun and the challenge. Easy to blast an orange size target at 100 yards with a scoped 22. Try that with a smokepole. The camaraderie at Rendezvous is the best I've seen among the shooting community.
Old March 23, 2014, 08:39 AM   #11
Doc Hoy

Well I used to think

It was the nostalgia and heritage...

That is still a great part of it.

I like working on the pistols.

I like handling the pistols even in the house. Not necessary to go to the range to enjoy that aspect of it.

I like thinking of the process that the manufacturers and designers used that resulted in the highly technical (for that time) tools.

Beginning to load black powder in cartridges and starting with .45 LC was a natural outgrowth of the Cap and Ball interest.

Then to .45-70 and .44-40.

But I can't say that the heritage and nostalgia is restricted to C and B and cartridge rifles and revolvers because I developed a regard for the cheap revolvers of 1880 and onwards to say 1930. That brought with it Semi-autos that were contemporary to those times, and finally military Semi Autos of WW II vintage.

I never dreamed that my interest in C&B would bring me to where I am now.
Old March 23, 2014, 04:32 PM   #12
Beagle333

The smoke, the smell, and the smooth sexy lines of the 1860 Colt.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 23, 2014, 05:18 PM   #13
Roaddog

having my grate grate grandpappies Ely Witny 36 cal revolver I stated shooting it in 1970 wen I got home from the army.It was a big thrill and it started me on the long journy that I am still on.The history and nostelgia keeps me going on to all the blackpowder guns that I can get my hands on.
The hunting with them is more than just the hunt.It pus me in the same shous of the folks of days gone by.
Old March 23, 2014, 07:19 PM   #14
Pahoo

Becasue I like old stuff !!!

Sad to say that in most given areas, there is only a handful of loyal M/L shooters. In my circle, there are only five that still hold to traditional M/L as well as traditional values, in general. I'm talking about folks who have the passion and commitment to old guns and old ways. I still set my own mouse traps, butcher most my own meat. Know how to spit-shine shoes and sharpen a knife and ax. ....

As a teaching aid, I often use a mouse trap to teach the students how to safely handle one as a substitute gun. I set the trap and let each student pass it around the room. Was really surprised that some students had never handled a mouse trap, let alone seen one. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 23, 2014, 08:31 PM   #15
Stormson

D- All of the above.

For me it really is all the above... Its cheap(er) one ya got all the stuff together (which can generally be used on other BP arms as well).. The sexy cool look and feel.. The historical component.. The idea that I dont have to have a corrupt governments permission to exercise what is supposed to be a RIGHT...

And the biggest one of all? It WORKS! The versatility is amazing. I have basically become a hand loader, without having to buy $1000 worth of books and equipment... Anything from snakes while fishing, up to and including deer at short range and even self protection... All it takes it the right load. Its like having 4-5 different hand guns in one package!

In short? I just havent FOUND a downside yet!
Old March 23, 2014, 09:01 PM   #16
jimbob86

Using and caring for tools our forebearers used when their very lives depended upon them gives me an appreciation for what a momumental task the settling of this continent was. We do indeed stand upon the shoulders of giants, and imagine we are tall ..... With all the advances in technology and the specialization by most people into a very narrow field ..... I'll wager that most people have less practical know how today than their great grandfathers did.

It is not just guns, either: try using hand tools to turn a tree trunk into lumber and then into a usefull item .......

Last edited by jimbob86; March 23, 2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old March 23, 2014, 09:15 PM   #17
Jetchlnger

History
Old March 23, 2014, 10:34 PM   #18
towboat-er

Mostly the history.

Old March 24, 2014, 12:18 AM   #19
Poindexter

I like the big clouds of smoke. And the smell. And the fact I can still find BP and subs on the shelves at my LGS.
Old March 24, 2014, 04:39 AM   #20
Hawg

Quote:
Mostly the history.
Now that's funny right there Towboater with a pic of a police model with a birdshead grip that wasn't invented yet.
Old March 24, 2014, 11:36 AM   #21
Erich

I enjoyed that as well . . . and I think the gun's pretty nifty, too.

For me, it's sort of the childlike marvel of "I can't believe this actually works!" Of building a load right there in the gun, and having it not only go off in a forceful manner, but in an amazingly accurate one as well. That and the fact that frontstuffing requires a person to slow down - same thing I like in shooting single-shot rifles. I go to the range to relax, not to blast away. The methodical process of loading and capping ensures that I'm more in the moment . . .

Nice reading what others here think about the hobby.
Old March 24, 2014, 03:49 PM   #22
DennisCA

More than just a hobby!!

Actually I was getting a bit bored with modern cartridges, so I bought a muzzle-loading (percussion) pistol. It has me a new appreciation for modern firearms, plus I find just plain fun to shoot!
The only I have (to myself) why in hell didn't get into BP sooner!
Old March 24, 2014, 04:21 PM   #23
wogpotter

I like gadgets & gizmos, & B/P has more $5.00 ones than anything else.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 24, 2014, 05:58 PM   #24
Rigmarol

Whatever I say will only be repeating what others have said.

All of the above!!!
Old March 24, 2014, 06:49 PM   #25
Pahoo

Very nice picture

wogpotter
I like your picture with all that eye-candy. Can not only tell you what every thing is but who made it, except that Puma. Is it a White-Hunter or Bowie? Also, how do you use those tweezers? Thanks again, for your picture ....

Be Safe !!!