The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 21, 2009, 05:29 PM   #1
SemperFly

Gun safe interior update

I acquired an antique bank safe and want to update the interior to be used for a gun safe. Considerations I have thought of thus far include dehumidifier, lights, interior fabric, security, and layout.

Question 1) Browning and several other manufacturers use a Palusol seal around the door for added fire prevention. The seal expands to 8x its normal size to seal off the interior in the event of a fire. Any idea where one might find some of this stuff?

Question 2) Are there certain lining fabrics that can help control the humidity and climate inside the safe? My brother's American Eagle has a felt type lining but I am uncertain of what exactly it is.

Input on the other items is appreciated as well. I understand GoldenRod makes a great little dehumidifier.

Old March 21, 2009, 05:38 PM   #2
armsmaster270

Happy hunting It's got a great interior to work with here are the Palusol seal
Distributors

Hager Products
139 Victor Street
St Louis
MO
Tel: +1 314 772 4411
WWW: http://www.hagerco.com/

National Guard Products
4985 East Raines Road
Memphis
TN
Tel: +1 800-647-7874
Fax: +1 800-255-7874
WWW: http://ngpinc.com
Old March 21, 2009, 07:45 PM   #3
Michael A. Le Lack

Goldenrod

You will need to drill a small hole , about 3/16 inch, in the back of the safe near the bottom to run the power cord from the 110volt outlet into the safe for the dehumidifier(goldenrod). Go look at some safe at a dealer to get some ideas. The felt like fabric is available at Lowe's or a RV dealer, it is the same stuff used to line the storage compartment of RV's. It is inecpensive and is treated to resist mold/mildew. Good luck.
Old March 21, 2009, 07:47 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Was that safe located in the Daytona area?
Brent
Old March 21, 2009, 10:38 PM   #5
SemperFly

It was originally in Ohio. I got it from a gentleman down the road whose father is a contractor and was gutting and refurbishing an electric company building from the '20s that had 12 or so safes and vaults inside. This was the smallest of them, others being complete rooms from what I understand.

Last edited by SemperFly; March 21, 2009 at 11:29 PM.
Old March 22, 2009, 11:12 AM   #6
a1abdj

It's not a bank safe, it's a fire rated safe.

It looks like it's made by the "Safe Cabinet Company" or one of the other similar outfits. These safes have been known to contain asbestos, so keep that in mind if drilling holes in it.
Old March 22, 2009, 03:55 PM   #7
SemperFly

Safe Cabinet Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1abdj
It looks like it's made by the "Safe Cabinet Company" or one of the other similar outfits. These safes have been known to contain asbestos, so keep that in mind if drilling holes in it.
It was indeed made by the Safe Cabinet Company of Marietta, OH. I'll keep that in mind if I decide to drill into it for the GoldenRod. Appreciate the heads up!