The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 14, 2010, 10:18 PM   #1
dr.charlemagne@gmail

savage 99, rechambering question

Just picked up a savage 99 in .300 savage. The gun is in good shape and has be absolutely beautifully restocked. My research suggests that it is a 1954 model. It has the rotary mag. I would love to rechamber it to a 308. I have done a search here and elsewhere and found conflicting information. Anyone know about this for sure?
Old March 15, 2010, 02:17 AM   #2
Clark

You can find the year of manufacture from a web site you can find with Google.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search

This week I re barreled a 1917 Sav 99 250 Savage take down to 6mmBR.
I had already done it, but I wanted to change the headspace.

This time I cut the extractor relief with a file instead of milling it.

What I am learning is that the Sav99 stetches the brass a few thousands. Nothing as bad as a Brit Lee Enfield, but it is not quite as good as a bolt action that locks up right behind the breech.
Old March 15, 2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Gunplummer

99 .308

I think you posted this question some where else in this forum. Could have been someone else. Anyway, it would be a real mess to convert over. The older frame is plenty strong enough, but the internals are a little different. I'm not saying it can't be done, but if you try to load a .308 into it, you will see it won't go. I have never been asked to change one over because of the feeding problems involved. I never even bothered to look into it, because of that. It would probably cost a lot more than you would get out of it. Best to look for a beat up .243 to convert, or hold out till you find a .308.
Yes, the newer receivers spring also. A lot of guys that reloaded, and some with factory loads, use to complain to me about sticky extraction. Only thing to do is back off on your reloads. I owned a .243 that extracted hard with winchester and Federal ammo. I went to Remington and it fixed that. The other ammo was too hot, and less accurate.
Old March 15, 2010, 02:31 PM   #4
mapsjanhere

Simple test, take a 308 and see if it fits into the magazine and if it's fed into the chamber. If both works all you have to decide if you trust a 60 year old 46,000 CUP gun with modern 52,000 CUP rounds after you rechambered.
Old March 15, 2010, 07:06 PM   #5
PetahW

The Savage 99 action was changed & lengthened when the .308 chambering was introduced in the line, besides having a differently machined rotor.