The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 30, 2014, 10:12 AM   #26
Sure Shot Mc Gee

No mention of a trade going on. So I assume you'll keep that M-70. Which is a wise thing to do. M-70 it would be a awesome project rifle to focus your attention on when you have the time. No hurry. The rifles not going anyplace. Besides you have that 308 as a back up.
Its always nice to buy another firearm when one has the means to do so. No intentions of buying a target or varmint rifle this time so this is a practical buy I take it. As for which rifle. I'd say the Browning perhaps is the better of the two. Good trigger pre free-floated barrel having grade 4 or 5 wood. {I'm kind of partial to wood stocks. I know you said you aren't sir} Browning has always sold top of the line preforming products. Remington. You already got one. So why not something a little different this time around. Of course you'll have to shoulder both for fit before puschase. As far as the difference between the 06 & 270. Bullet selection in favor of the 06. Speed and targeting in favor of the 270. I have shot both calibers. Have rifles here in both calibers. But my preference is the 270 for a couple of good reasons. Since I reload for the 270 its far and away the most accurate rifle I have. Head shots on walking deer is the usual here. And done so at 100-125 yards which isn't hard to do with a good scope perched on top. The flatness of 130 gr. down range. No wonder Jack O'Connor liked and wrote about the the caliber so much. Its terrific for close or distance shooting. The other reason. I have had to tracked more deer shot with a 06 than any other caliber found in the woods. Why it is. I haven't a clue.
Honestly I think you would like the 270s performance over the 06. I should mention I also have 25-06. But as accurate as it is being the same identical brand model and scope to my 270. The 270 is a bit more accurate for me. Good luck with that tough decision your going to make desertstormvet.
Old August 30, 2014, 03:47 PM   #27
T. O'Heir

"...100% buy the Browning..." You do pay extra for the name though. Doubt you'll find a current production rifle that's better than a 30 year old Win M70.
"...to within 1" of the receiver..." Waaaay too close. There should be bedding the entire chamber area and the rest free. Not several paper bills though. One is enough. And free floating a barrel may or may not fix accuracy issues. Not all rifles like it, but you have to try it to find out if your's does. Putting a pressure point back in is no big deal. It's just a dime sized spot of bedding material about an inch or so, in from the end of the forestock.
Mind you, if you're not reloading, you need to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your rifle shoots best. If you are reloading, you need to try different bullet weights and powders. Start with 165 grain hunting bullets and IMR or H 4895, IMR4064(more consistent accuracy with it than either 4895) or Varget.
If you want a .270("I want one." is the best reason for buying anything), you could have that M70 rebarreled and be ready to find the ammo.