The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 28, 2013, 05:45 AM   #1
johnelmore

Rechargeable CR123 on Surefire website

I only get my CR123 from the Surefire website because there are lots off fakes out there even on sites such as Amazon. If I get it from Surefire I know that a big name in the flashlight biz is behind it and so it has to be good. The prices on the Surefire website are competitive too.

My biggest worry about the 123 batteries is I would not have a good supply if a storm struck the area causing outages. When I use the batteries from my supply there isnt instant replenishment. Its like milk where you dont buy more until the last is gone.

I noticed on the Surefire website they have rechargeable 123 batteries. I got a few and they work great in my Fenix lights. So now I use the rechargeables while keeping a good supply on hand for emergencies and prolonged outages. There has been one good storm a year here and each time knocking out power for over a week. This method should be very useful. Also I now use the light more so on high power knowing I have rechargeables so the safety factor has increased by using the rechargeable variety.

Of course if you are a professional user its always good to have standard lithium on hand in the event your rechargeables go south. Always good to have a backup...
Old November 28, 2013, 10:30 AM   #2
papershotshells

After reading your post, I went to their website to check them out.

Rechargeables sound like a good idea, because I run through a lot of batteries. The price on the website looks good ($29 for the charger with 2 batteries), but when I read the fine print it states that the rechargeables are meant only for use with LED bulbs. Unfortunately, all of my SureFire lights have incandescent bulbs in them and I'm not sure if the saving from using rechargeable batteries will offset the cost of converting all of my lights to LED bulbs.

If I was just starting out buying new lights, I'd definitely go LED and try the rechargeables.

Papershotshells
Old November 28, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
johnelmore

Once you go LED you will never go back. Check out the Fenix PD35. It is 3 times more powerful then a 6 cell Maglight with the Xenon bulb and takes 2 CR123. Light and pocketable.

This is the most powerful 2 cell CR123 light I know of and perfect for first responders. You can search a wide area with this light and if you need to use it as a signal then it has a strobe which is just as powerful as the strobe on a patrol car if not more.

Try it. You will like it. While I shop at Surefire for batteries, I only use Fenix LED lights...
Old December 12, 2013, 10:49 PM   #4
WardenWolf

There's also INOVA lights, which can provide comparable performance to Surfire, sometimes at a lesser cost. They're all LED, and they're insanely bright.
Old September 28, 2014, 11:23 PM   #5
Once Fired

I just picked up a NEBO iProtec HP190 light for my pistol. It uses CR123 batteries, and one "high-power CREE Q5 LED bulb."

Even Surefire's own site only recommends rechargeables for LEDs, not incandescents. But I am safe on that front.

I'd like to hear feedback on using rechargeable batteries in your gun light. I don't imagine anything beeps when your battery is getting low, so using a single rechargeable for an extended period doesn't seem smart for a nightstand gun.

But plowing through a bunch of batteries over time doesn't seem smart, either. Perhaps a rotation every month or X weeks would work?

Any experience out there with this?

OF
Texas Security Guard Jobs