The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2005, 07:46 PM   #1
supercharged3800

Lee 3 or 4 hole turret?

I have decided to start off with the lee auto-indexing turret press. I just have to decide on the 3 or 4 hole. I'm leaning towards the 3 hole since I'll mostly be doing handgun calibers for now and this will save a step, but I'm looking for opinions on what other people prefer.
Old February 28, 2005, 08:52 PM   #2
sindiesel666

4-hole all the way...lotsa more flexibility.
What calibers you shooting???? I loaded for 45 ACP (for my CZ-97B) on my 3 hole until I bought a Dan Wesson 1911 with a really tight chamber. At least once in 10 rounds I'd have a jam because rounds were slightly large for the chamber. I bought the Lee factory die and the 4-hole conversion and since then no problems whatsoever.

Plus, I just got the Dillon 650, just moved my dies and I was set....
Old February 28, 2005, 09:08 PM   #3
Lycanthrope

It's really nice to seat and crimp at different stations.....

4 hole.
Old February 28, 2005, 11:20 PM   #4
rwilson452

4 hole

For reasons stated, four hole for sure. Either that or get an extra turret and put the sizing die in it. Me, I use a 5 hole Loadmaster and use them all. ( one hole for priming).
Old February 28, 2005, 11:58 PM   #5
Oldphart

Lee 3 or 4 hole turret?

In the end, it'll depend on your particular needs. I started with a 4-holer but found I didn't really need the extra station so I traded for a 3-holer. Also, I mounted my press on the left end of my bench, so I needed to access the shellholder from the right side. The 4-holer didn't permit me to do that since the front vertical post was in the way and couldn't be moved like the 3-holer can.
Old March 1, 2005, 10:53 AM   #6
sundog

Kinda depends on wether you're gonna size and decap on station 1. I size/decap on a single stage, bacause it gives me a chance to inspect each piece of brass. Then I prime with a hand primer and store the primed brass until ready for loading, that way I can make up any load I want and not have to wait until I shoot a bunch to reclaim brass - got plenty primed brass on hand all the time, but only the ammo I'm expecting to shoot near term. Anyway, another reason I got into doing this is because I do NOT like the priming mechanism in the Lee turret press at all. So, with brass already primed, first station is powder/flare, second is bullet seat, and third is crimp (better ammo with seperate seat and crimp, I think). Now, if your going to do the whole cycle including size/decap, then go with the 4-holer. I have one of each and they both work fine. Or if you want to hand prime, just use the 3-holer as a single stage for just sizing/decapping. You could even mount 3 sizer dies in one turret for 3 different calibers, and set up 3 other turrets with the rest of the dies for each caliber. sundog
Old March 1, 2005, 01:03 PM   #7
Russ5924

I would say a 4 since I have one.But if you get a 3 holer you can get the conversion to a 4 hole. But they don't sell a kit to go from 4 to 3 at least never saw one.for some starting out I don't think you can go wrong with what you are buying.It is simple to use the only way to get in trouble is if you don't move the lever full down and up then it won't index.And if you are on the powder station
Old March 16, 2005, 10:32 PM   #8
cuate

Lee 3 or 4 hole turret?

We used a 3 holer for a long time loading .45 Long Colt for Cowboy Action Fun. Ordered a 4 holer, best I recall it fit right in. Now reloading 30-40 Krag and 30-06 and four holes weren't enough for both sets of dies. Now using a 6 holer Lyman, massive, heavy duty and should last a lifetime.

Redding or somebody has a seven holer out......................
Old March 16, 2005, 10:37 PM   #9
Lennyjoe

I use a 4 hole turret for pistol rounds. I also use a seperate die for crimping instead of the seating die. For 45 and 10MM I use a factory crimp. The 4th hole is nice for the additional crimp dies.
Old March 17, 2005, 12:14 PM   #10
karpins

I have a Lee Loadmaster, been using it for about 2 weeks.
It is a 5 turret top of the line Lee progressive press.
The Loading experts will recommend three presses for their best choice, a Dillon, Dillon, or a Dillon.

While I cant afford one of these yet, I settled on a top of the line Lee Loadmaster ready to go for .45acp for $210 and I have not been at all disappointed.