The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 20, 2001, 12:33 AM   #1
OkieGentleman

Scratched finish!!

I goofed!! I laid a Polished Stainless Steel 1911 slide down on a paper grocery bag and got super fine scratches on the flats of the slide, both sides yet. What is the best way to get the original finish back without sending it back to the Colt factory. Yes I know stupid, I could not find my gun rug so I cleaned some guns using a grocery bag for my mat, ok for the old ones, but the Polished Stainless slide scratched. These are not deep, you have to hold it up to the light to see them I could do worse with my fingernails. Any help would be appreciated.

:barf:
Old December 20, 2001, 02:11 AM   #2
Romulus

OkieGent:

I'm like you, I notice the minutest flaw that I manage to impose upon a hithertofore perfect piece...that's why now I only consider "pre-stressed finishes", like brushed stainless, semi-matte blue, and park...I'd go mad minding the finish on high-gloss beauties. Are you against brushing your stainless flats to remove thae flaws? You'll sleep a lot better...

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old December 20, 2001, 08:39 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

You might try Scimichrome (sp) polish or if you have a small buffing wheel red jeweler's rouge will polish it nicely. George
Old December 20, 2001, 09:21 AM   #4
BigG

Simichrome - used by bikers to polish their motorcycles and knife buffs to shine their blades. Polish in one direction along the length of the slide.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old December 20, 2001, 02:36 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I won' t use the "P word" but what do perfectionist folks do when they get a shopping cart dent in a new car? Commit suicide? Curl up in a little ball for the rest of their lives?

Golly, guys, there is a world out there, and it has imperfections in it.

Jim
Old December 20, 2001, 09:48 PM   #6
OkieGentleman

I know, I know, but I was cleaning the blasted thing getting ready to deliver it as part of a completed trade. I hated letting it go when it was not in the perfect condition the other guy traded for. He took it anyway, but I felt bad about scratching "his" gun.