The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 19, 2014, 06:02 PM   #1
nch_2018

Can I build a 357 mag or 44 mag remington 700 or savage edge?

How much would it cost? What procedures would I need to do? Would it be cheaper to just get a ruger 77?
Old August 19, 2014, 06:15 PM   #2
Geezerbiker

I'm not sure but I'm throwing this out for discussion. Both problems center around the rim.

Getting the extractor in the bolt head to grip the rim. I'm thinking that with the .357 the bolt head would have to be machined deeper and for the .44 both deeper and larger in diameter. I suppose the first place to start is to see how well these to rounds fit up to the bolt head.

Also rimmed rounds don't stack well in a box magazine but with some fiddling this could be gotten round but you'd likely get less rounds in the mag.

To me this sounds too expensive from the get go...

Tony
Old August 21, 2014, 09:01 AM   #3
natman

Can I build a 357 mag or 44 mag remington 700 or savage edge?

Quote:
How much would it cost?
Lots.

Quote:
What procedures would I need to do?
New bolt face, new barrel, new magazine for short rimmed cartridge (not a trivial task)

Quote:
Would it be cheaper to just get a ruger 77?
Absolutely.
Old August 21, 2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Wyosmith

Read what Natman said !!!!!!!!!! ^^^^^^

Nat, you mkissed the problem with the ejector too.

The plunger type ejector is not functional with a case as short as the 44 or 357 mag.

The plunger throws the shell to the side as it pivots from the extractor tooth. On a short shell the case mouth will clear the chamber and be thrown into the inside of the receive but before it can reach the ejection "port" the tension comes off the ejector spring so the shell simply fall right there and doesn't eject from the action.

To illustrate the problem take any plunger style ejector action in a 308 case head or 30-06 case head, and chamber a 45 auto shell in it. Open the bolt and you'll see that it won't throw the shell out of the gun with any reliably. The angel of the case to the axis of the chamber is so extreme with the short case that the grip is lost on the extractor and the ejector can't do its job.

Just buy a Ruger.

Last edited by Wyosmith; August 21, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old August 21, 2014, 10:42 AM   #5
taylorce1

Pretty much the same answer you got when asking about doing the same thing to a Mosin. Cheaper to buy a Ruger always seems to be the correct answer.
Old August 21, 2014, 05:05 PM   #6
natman

Quote:
Nat, you mkissed the problem with the ejector too.

The plunger type ejector is not functional with a case as short as the 44 or 357 mag.

The plunger throws the shell to the side as it pivots from the extractor tooth. On a short shell the case mouth will clear the chamber and be thrown into the inside of the receive but before it can reach the ejection "port" the tension comes off the ejector spring so the shell simply fall right there and doesn't eject from the action.

To illustrate the problem take any plunger style ejector action in a 308 case head or 30-06 case head, and chamber a 45 auto shell in it. Open the bolt and you'll see that it won't throw the shell out of the gun with any reliably. The angel of the case to the axis of the chamber is so extreme with the short case that the grip is lost on the extractor and the ejector can't do its job.
Good point. I was hoping the bolt face, barrel and magazine issues would be enough to discourage anybody.

On top of that you need to look at what you'd have when you're done. With a Ruger 77 that was designed as for a pistol cartridge you'd have a compact light carbine. With the conversion, you'd have pistol power in a rifle the size of a 308.
Old August 22, 2014, 06:56 PM   #7
Mobuck

Ruger makes a very good and attractive bolt action in 357 and 44 mag.
The actions you mention would require tons of work to feed straightwall pistol cartridges and would be far overweight when done.
Old August 26, 2014, 03:42 PM   #8
Ozzieman

I own a 44/77 and I would suggest you do a search in this forum to see the positive remarks.
It’s a good strong gun that will have acceptable accuracy out to 150 with the right bullet and powder type. I can’t help with factory rounds since I have never shot any in mine.
I think I paid about 550 about 2 years ago. I was dumbfounded when I just looked and saw that a new one is going for +900 msrp at Ruger.
Recently I saw them for around 600 at a gun show.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old August 26, 2014, 08:54 PM   #9
Unlicensed Dremel

Quote:
Would it be cheaper to just get a ruger 77?
I agree with "Yes".

That a round peg in a square hole - can be done, but why?