The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 10, 2014, 12:52 PM   #1
p5200

Use of FrogLube question

For those who use it, do you treat the bolt & lugs with it in the usual manner or, do you stick with Tetra Grease etc. for the locking lugs and any camming type surfaces? Thanks!
Old August 10, 2014, 08:25 PM   #2
reynolds357

I do not lube lugs on a bolt action.
Old August 13, 2014, 12:22 AM   #3
.50cal packer

For the record, I completely agree with reynolds357. However, I'm a huge fan of FrogLube! Like Franks Hot Sauce, I put it on everything. always apply lightly and never leave chunks of the green on there. It will not hurt it at all. It will only protect your investment.
IT SEEMS TO ME, LIKE ALL THESE NEW GUYS THINK...
Old August 13, 2014, 05:52 PM   #4
Because 'Merica

I like using rem oil. Just go light with it.
Old August 13, 2014, 06:41 PM   #5
Grizz12

follow the instructions and put it on everything
Old August 13, 2014, 07:53 PM   #6
Metal god

If you read how and where to use frog lube . You will see that they state not to use ANY other types of lube for any part of the firearm . They say CLP , Slip 2000 and other like lubes will cause the frog lube not to work as well .

I was at the gun show a few weeks ago and there was a frog lube table there . I stopped and was looking to pick up one of the 4oz bottles of paste . The rep asked have I ever used it before , if so what on . I told him yes ,I put it on my hand gun slides and that's about it . He then asked what do I clean the slide with and I told him CLP or Hoppe's and the like . He then went on a rant of how I was waisting my time with all those products and I should only use Frog lube products when using frog lube products . I then looked around the table and could see they had every type of lube / cleaner / carbon / cooper / etc etc product you could think of . I looked back at him and laughed . Get real , you think I'm going to spend $100+ here to replace the $300 of products I already have that have been proven to work just fine .

I like the stuff and will continue to use it on my slides but according to Frog lube If you are to use there products you can not use any others in combination . So get ready to throw out that stock pile of lubes you have built up over the years .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; August 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old August 15, 2014, 06:10 AM   #7
FreedomUIC

Quote:
For the record, I completely agree with reynolds357. However, I'm a huge fan of FrogLube! Like Franks Hot Sauce, I put it on everything. always apply lightly and never leave chunks of the green on there. It will not hurt it at all. It will only protect your investment.
Amen, I use that stuff everywhere. The guns function so much smoother
and it makes the outside look like a mirror. I couldn't be happier although
I kind of took it a little farther.

I heat up the piece I am cleaning with a blow dryer, apply and let sit for
an hour. I then hit it with a hair dryer and wipe off the excess.

My problem pistol is no longer a problem pistol....
Old August 15, 2014, 09:45 AM   #8
doofus47

I've FL'd a couple uppers and pistols and the results seem to be equal to my results from cleaning and lubing with Hoppes 9/synthetic oil. It's expensive, but use it adequately. It goes further than you might think.
Old August 23, 2014, 10:13 PM   #9
N R A

Hit a box store and get a pressure cooker. Mark it FROG LUBE ONLY! Put a whole bottle of FL in the pressure cooker along with all the gun parts you want to treat. Run the pressure cooker up to a high pressure and leave the stuff to boil the gun parts for 20 minutes. Let cool, and wipe off any excess Frog Lube.

Try that. Not me, I use Other Stuff.
Old November 10, 2016, 04:38 PM   #10
PeterTheFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by N R A View Post
Hit a box store and get a pressure cooker. Mark it FROG LUBE ONLY! Put a whole bottle of FL in the pressure cooker along with all the gun parts you want to treat. Run the pressure cooker up to a high pressure and leave the stuff to boil the gun parts for 20 minutes. Let cool, and wipe off any excess Frog Lube.

Try that. Not me, I use Other Stuff.

Where do people get dumb ideas like this?
Old November 10, 2016, 05:00 PM   #11
xandi

I like it as a snack, tastes way better then hopps
I have a light coat on my bolt and bgc seems to work
Old November 10, 2016, 07:10 PM   #12
SJCbklyn

Ballistol. I have heard frog lube is a great product but I only use Ballistol and Tetra on my handgun guides.
Old November 10, 2016, 08:38 PM   #13
Mobuck

I don't use FrogLube but I do use grease on the bolt lugs/cam pin & track UNLESS I'm going to be hunting in subzero temps.
I haul an AR in a pickup all summer running with open windows on dirt/gravel roads. Grease on the listed parts hasn't been any problem as long as I keep a mag in place and the dust cover closed.
Old November 11, 2016, 04:22 AM   #14
kozak6

Quote:
Frog Lube is mostly coconut oil.

It's generally unsafe to fry things in a pressure cooker.

Pressure frying your gun is a silly artistic statement at best, and extremely dangerous at worst.
Old November 11, 2016, 05:19 AM   #15
Jimro

I'm pretty sure the "frog lube/pressure cooker" idea is intentionally trolling, like the "if you microwave your iPhone for 37 seconds exactly it'll speed up the processor" or "if your car starts dying at idle, let air out of the tires to give it better shock absorption so it doesn't know it's stopped."

Jimro
Old November 11, 2016, 07:27 AM   #16
AK103K

Im going to be a bit of a dissenter here. I used Frog Lube for a number of years, starting when it first showed up. Used it, and only it, for most of that time. I no longer use it.

They changed the instructions for use as well as the consistency over the time I used it. When it first came out, they recommend you heat the gun in some manner, leave it in the sun, warm it with a hairdryer, etc., prior to cleaning. When I quit using it, they no longer had that in the instructions on the bottles, but did have it on their website, and then it was only being recommended for being done prior to long term storage.

The consistency of the product changed over those couple of years too. When I first started using it, it the liquid was quite thick. When I quit, it was noticeably more watered down.

The first thing I noticed outright was, it didnt do anything for removing copper fouling. I never saw anywhere that they said it would, but I guess I assumed since it was a bore cleaner too, it would. I emailed and asked, and they said it wouldnt, and I had to buy their "solvent" for that. I got that, and it did absolutely nothing and cleaned less than the CLP.

I always used it as directed, and never slopped it on, or loaded the gun/parts up with it. As long as I was using the gun regularly, it seemed to work OK. If let the gun sit any length of time, there were function problems until the gun got warmed up. I noticed this more with my revolvers, and the cylinders being very sluggish, but I also had trouble with a couple of autoloaders as well, and it took a couple of mags before the gun would function properly.

Just before I quit using it, I ran into some rust issues with it, which kind of surprised me. I had put my model 28 Smith away after shooting/cleaning, and a week later, noticed light rust on a number of places on the gun. I also ran into this with one of my other blued rifles as well.

I always wondered if that had anything to do with the liquid being watered down, as I never noticed the problem when I was using it early on.

One other thing that got old for me, was the price. They sure are proud of it, and arent afraid to charge you. $14 for a little bottle, that doesnt last all that long if you shoot/clean a lot, starts to get old, and expensive.

When I think back on things, I think their marketing is a lot like the old electric shavers marketing was/is. They tell you not to use anything else and youll see its as good or better. But if you dont continue to do a comparison through the process, you really dont notice that youre accepting their claims without any real verification. If you had, you'd see that they were being very generous in their claims.

Im back to using good old Hopes for cleaning, and using Mobil One for a lube. If Im worried about rust long term, I wipe things down with Eezox. Im putting the money saved back into components, and shooting more.
Old November 11, 2016, 10:28 AM   #17
DaleA

Quote:
I'm back to using good old Hoppe's for cleaning, and using Mobil One for a lube.
Superb advice! Works for me although I've been known to use Rem Oil if somebody buys me a bottle of it.

(These lube questions never get old, do they?)
Old November 12, 2016, 10:40 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Just before I quit using it, I ran into some rust issues with it, which kind of surprised me. I had put my model 28 Smith away after shooting/cleaning, and a week later, noticed light rust on a number of places on the gun. I also ran into this with one of my other blued rifles as well.
Didn't someone here do a corrosion test on different lubes and frog lube performed quite poorly? Maybe a year ago?
Old November 13, 2016, 08:30 AM   #19
AK103K

Ive seen claims good and bad. I never had an issue with it in that respect until right there at the end of using it. As I said earlier, the consistency did become a lot more watery there at the end, and I always wondered if that didnt have something to do with it.

Eezox is the only thing Ive used that really works well as far as long term rust prevention goes. Even with daily use in a constantly wet/sweaty environment, I havent encountered rust with anything Ive treated with it.
Old November 13, 2016, 09:00 AM   #20
kenny53

I use frog lube but not exclusivity. By that I mean if I use FL on a gun it is all I use, but I don't use it on all my guns. When my FL is gone I don't believe I will replace it. I figure it doesn't hurt to try a different product once in awhile.
Old November 13, 2016, 09:36 PM   #21
doofus47

Somewhere on TFL someone did a really, really thorough study of rust prevention using many different lubes. That was a year ago or maybe 18 months? I don't have a link. Anyhow, Frog Lube did very well when compared to many other cleaners/lubes.

That said, the general skinny since has been that so long as you don't use FL for a part with light weight that has to move in a tight space (think striker channels), then FL is fine for lube/rust prevention. I use it to clean bores, frames, bolt carriers and pistol slides.

There are other good suggestions here as well.
Old November 14, 2016, 03:46 AM   #22
ballisti

I use a mix of 80% Mobil One, 10% Three-In-One oil, and 10% Wintergreen oil.

YMMV. - I've been very happy with it.
Old December 14, 2016, 03:58 PM   #23
mmartin6411

How do I prove ownership of a firearm

Sent from my A462C using Tapatalk
Old December 14, 2016, 07:28 PM   #24
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

mmartin, best to repost in the Law and Civil Rights forum. This forum is not the place for that sort of question.

If you bought new but did not keep the receipt, you might check with the dealer. If you bought from an individual, good luck. If a gift or inheritance, it's a family matter.
Old December 14, 2016, 07:56 PM   #25
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Like Franks Hot Sauce, I put it on everything.
Franks probably works better on guns than some sort of cooked on vegetable oil stuff
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!