The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 4, 2007, 05:00 PM   #26
Jim March

This situation is what I call a "chase off". Happens a LOT.

It happens most often when you are absolutely determined to fire, the goblin sees this and gets that sudden wet-pants feeling. Or sometimes the grand trifecta, the "squishy pants feeling" (ewww). And then promptly makes it no longer necessary to ventilate him.

This is a good thing.

I've done "chase offs" twice now with me having *knives*, not guns. Doesn't work as reliably as with guns I'd guesstimate, but like I say, it's worked twice now against human assailants and oh yeah, twice more against dogs.

In the latter events with dogs it wasn't the knives that made them back down, but my confidence in having 'em that helped most in making 'em flee.

And this in turn is important: how your armament (whatever it is) makes YOU feel matters in how likely a chase-off will occur. So it's best to know and trust your gear, and carry stuff you have confidence in...because that confidence will show on your face and bearing much more than your actual caliber or gun type will!

I'd rather have a snubbie I trust than a cannon I don't.
Old July 4, 2007, 09:05 PM   #27
Black Adder LXX

Nicely done. I respect the way you handled yourself.
Old July 4, 2007, 09:49 PM   #28
Dwight55

Good job, Tanzer, . . . everyone went home in one piece, . . . lawyers did not get involved

It is a shame that our society has declined to the point that nasty offence is taken, . . . just for the devilment of taking it in your perp's case. One thing for sure though, . . . that type of attitude always looks for an adjustment, and there is more than likely someone nearby who will adjust it for him.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old July 5, 2007, 06:01 AM   #29
sac39051

All I can say is excellent job Tanzer. And based on your post thank god it was you and not some poor out of town schmuck who may well have wet his pants in the face of such an incident. I have had similar situations arise way to often lately out here in kalifornia, hopefully they wont turn into something much worse. It's these type of stories that make it silly for some states to ban the right to carry. Way to keep a cool head and get out of a bad situation safely
Old July 8, 2007, 07:00 AM   #30
eltorrente

I would have gotten in the car and drove away.

I've had all sorts of kooks, wierdos and generally wacked-out people talk smack to me and try to be intimidating over the years. I never felt like I needed to stand my ground and pull a loaded gun on him- especially while standing next to the open door of my car. As long as he isn't holding the door open and preventing you from getting to safety, then what is the big deal? Better to just get your wife and kids the heck out of there, instead of having to watch Daddy almost blow some guy away..

The ones you gotta watch out for are the people who don't say a thing - not the ones that talk smack to you while walking across a parking lot. At least you didn't get stapled, and if you did, he didn't deserve to die because of it.
Old July 8, 2007, 07:39 AM   #31
Double Naught Spy

eltorente is right.

Tanzer said...
Quote:
"Oh, you gotta walk the ladies to their doors to keep them safe! From me, huh? I ignored him but hastened to get them shuffled in, by now, he had gotten within about 50 ft and basically repeated himself, so I stated: (without staring him down) "It's proper to open a door for a lady", and went around the back of my car.
Never talk back to crazy people, for crying out loud. And if you do, don't correct them. That just antagonizes them. Don't talk to strangers either, not unless you have to do so and correcting a stranger on the interpretation of your behavior is not something you have to do. In this case, it was a verbal challenge and you answered the call when you would have been better off saying nothing. By answering his challenge, you were playing his game. This was odd as you didn't want to try staring him down as some folks take that as a challenge, but you did answer his challenge.

Quote:
Sounds OK to me but I'm no expert in when you can pull a gun - in NY State I believe it is in preparation to use it only.
This is one of those myths that creeps up now and then, the notion that if you draw your gun that you have to fire it. The concept implies that drawing and not firing is somehow illegal. It is a crock. There are no laws that saw if if show lethal force that you have to use lethal force. If there was such a law, it surely would not be in New York.
Old July 8, 2007, 03:58 PM   #32
The Canuck

Tanzer,

You did well. The badguy presented a threat and you presented a firearm. The fact that nobody got hurt tells me one thing. You won. He wasn't hurt, you and yours weren't hurt and after it all, you had a few nervous laughs at the end.

I have read somewhere that out of every 1000 self defence incidences where a firearm is presented it is only fired something like 10 out of those 1000 times. Well, according to John Lott Jr. anyways. This tells me that when an aggressor sees a firearm pointed at thier person, they generally form the opinion that the self defence shooter means business and that's usually thier cue to jet. It seems to me that you gave "stompy" there that very impression...
Old July 9, 2007, 10:27 PM   #33
Tanzer

Eltorrente, Doublenaught,
We are all different, I was trying to de-escalate and buy time. Putting an event into words doesn't always draw the perfect picture. This happened fast, or so it seemed. He seemed mad that I was ignoring him, so I gave a polite but firm answer - not a threat or retort. Right or not, that was my attempt to satisfy him, hopefully have him swear at me and leave. Personally, I don't have a lot of experience with crazies (except my ex-wife),but that's another story. Not having been there, you may not realize how difficult it was to get a 14 year old girl who was almost frozen into a high SUV, while my oblivious teenage son was checking his pockets for a state quarter for his collection. I've questioned myself several times, even to the point where I tested how fast I could climb into my car, And still doubt I could do it without turning my back. One thing I do know from working with behavior disorder teens - things can happen fast. I think you can also imagine that the adrenaline was pumpin'. When faced with a quick decision, what goes through my mind at least is "don't blow it". Hindsight is 20/20. Next time? hope there isn't one. I hope nothing like this happens to you. If it does, I won't feel bad at all if you handle it better than I did.
Stay safe.

Last edited by Tanzer; July 10, 2007 at 07:33 AM. Reason: addition