The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2006, 12:21 PM   #1
pangris

lead free 38 primers/bullets - best powder?

Greetings all. I am preparing to load up some lead free ammo for a lead free range.

I bought 1000 cases primed with CCI lead free primers and 1000 Sinterfire bullets.

I am wondering if anyone had any experience with these primers or bullets.

I normally use VV340, but would like input on what powders might work best for these primers/bullets.

What I want in a powder -

1. Clean burning
2. As little smoke as possible
3. Meters well (Dillon 550)

I am looking for mild loads - 750, 800 FPS.

I have also been told that I can't crimp the Sinterfire rounds much if at all... any measurement suggestions would be GREAT.

Thanks!

Paul
Old April 18, 2006, 12:14 AM   #2
pangris

Help.... me....
Old April 18, 2006, 08:46 AM   #3
Sport45

This is from Sinterfire's website
Quote:
Proper Crimping - Frangible, Lead Free Projectiles

1. Adjustment of the bell/expander die

The case mouth should be belled/expanded the minimum amount to permit proper lead-in of the bullet.

2. Bullet Seating

SinterFire? projectiles are designed with a tapered length to accept a taper crimp at a pre-determined depth. They should always be loaded to the suggested OAL.

3. Final Crimping: (always taper crimp)

Very little taper crimp is required, less than cast, jacketed or plated bullets.

Prior to finalizing the set-up of the loading operation, the bullets of several loaded rounds should be pulled from their cases and inspected for crimp compression. A properly crimped bullet should not show signs of crimp compression or indentation by-or-at the case mouth. Over crimping will result in a compression and/or stress fracture at the case mouth. This will cause the bullet to break off.

Handloading of ammunition should be done in a safe manner and by individuals knowledgeable of ammunition components, the loading process and the associated hazards. Safety is always a priority when loading or handling ammunition and components and individuals not knowledgeable of the process or hazards should seek professional assistance.

Since reloading practices are beyond our control, SinterFire?, Inc. disclaims all liability for damages that may result.
This is a "fringe" bullet and you're probably not going to get a lot of suggestions for reloading since there isn't a large experience base. It's probably not what you want to hear, but your best bet for reloading data is probably the bullet maker.