The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 7, 2011, 11:03 PM   #1
RPB

polls in legislative hearings

In Texas last year at the legislative hearings, many polls (biased push polls) were used to convince legislators that majority did not wand "kids carrying guns on campus"

Most polls are biased in their wording such as "Would you want kids bringing guns to school"

instead of "Would you prefer to keep the status quo of providing easy access to guns on campus for criminals by forcing law abiding licensees to store them in cars for the vehicle burglars to use in other crimes later."

The legislators were not informed on the polls bias/wording, only that 98% oppose

The politicians ears perk up at the word "poll"

Another poll they'll try to use against us in legislative session

ABC poll-Should self defense be allowed on College Campuses

http://t.co/SI40pAu

Results broken down by State

So far, no one wants the right to defend themselves on college campuses.

Spread the word ... and vote (they really are used against us and politicians listened, we thought we had a "slam dunk" and watched it melt away.

Quote:
Campus gun bill called 'slam dunk'
Wentworth predicts the legislation will be approved easily.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#ixzz1UPHdXfqZ
melted away http://texas.gunfreeschools.org/blog...lease-sine-die
Quote:
January polling showed that 67% of registered voters in Texas oppose the legislation.
That's an outright lie
Old August 8, 2011, 05:59 PM   #2
WARRIOR I

Language is POWER. The sad thing is, that liberal democrats have ALWAYS
understood this better than conservatives.
Old August 9, 2011, 09:22 PM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

Unless you have legit polls by neutral and quality pollsters, it's silly to debate figures.

If you say this or that is a lie because you and your buddy says you agree or disagree - that's not much.

So I would ask folks to reference polling that is NOT call in or internet polls as they just attract zealots of some sort.

College carry failed in TX because of tendency of legislatures to have arcane rules that allow majorities to be twarted. This occurs to both sides of the political spectrum. Also, with campus carry - there was some significant lack of action that would have carried the day on the part of the Coyote killer. True, he did sign the parking lot bill which made it through the legislature but he didn't do much for campus carry.

Also, both sides of the political spectrum say outrageous and false things. However, if you are on side X, you are uncritical of your side's nuttiness, so let's not discuss it in those terms - that starts the flames, the locks and the bans.
Old August 9, 2011, 09:34 PM   #4
highvel

I agree, polls are not worth very much unless carried out by a reliable source.
Hmmm, how many sources are reliable today???

I think the basic problem is that common sense is not so common anymore and seems non existent in some circles and geographic locations!

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old August 9, 2011, 10:20 PM   #5
war_elephant

The only poll that matters to me is the one in November, vote the fools out.
Old August 10, 2011, 10:00 AM   #6
RPB

the pro-second amendment rep from the district the Luby's massacre voted against campus carry due to polls like this

these do matter

these polls defeated campus carry in Texas,

During the 3 minutes you are given to testify in hearings no legislator/committee member asks "was that a scientific poll worded how

Last year all us in Texas said "oh those polls are rigged, they don't matter, they aren't scientific, we can disprove those ....

guess what, we don't have our "slam dunk" we lost the game until 2013 when Tx legislature meets again

ignore the push polls if you want to, but don't expect things to go your way by ignoring things the anti gun guys successfully used against us in the past

He who does nothing, deserves what he gets.

Quote:
Campus gun bill called 'slam dunk'
Wentworth predicts the legislation will be approved easily.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/loc...#ixzz1UPHdXfqZ

http://texas.gunfreeschools.org/blog...lease-sine-die
Quote:
January polling showed that 67% of registered voters in Texas oppose the legislation.

That's an outright lie prove it's a lie in 3 minutes while trying to testify about things like Amanda Collins etc ...

... all politicians heard was "poll results"

If your occupation is sports, your ears pick up sports related things ... politicians habitually listen to "poll results"

In Texas, I live in the district where the Luby's massacre occurred years ago, the Rep in that district is very strongly PRO 2 Amendment, but after hearing "poll results" he voted against campus carry. I won't be voting for him next time ... but preparation is better than undoing biased poll results with conversations and voting against normally good Representatives later.

We'll try again in 2013, but these poll results will be used by "them" if "they" win. I testified at the Capitol, I know their tactics now. Do nothing now if you want to, they (anti-gun groups) are working while you play.

Last edited by RPB; August 10, 2011 at 10:21 AM.