The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old June 8, 2008, 01:33 PM   #1
Dusty Rivers

side arm calb. for accidental wild hog encounters

What caliber would you feel well heeled for an accidental wild hog encounter? Not wild boars, Texas size wild hogs. Is a 357 enough? I'm trying to talk myself into a 454 Casul but they are expensive.
Old June 8, 2008, 01:39 PM   #2
Jason_G

.45 with FMJ rounds would be the minimum IMO.
I've seen folks take hogs with .22lr, but it was from a distance, waiting for the optimal shot. For an Oh S#!* encounter, you want something big bore, but you also may need more than one shot, so take recovery into consideration.

ETA: .357 would be sufficient with the proper load.

Jason
Old June 8, 2008, 01:56 PM   #3
B. Lahey

The biggest chambering you can fire quickly and accurately.

When I had a .454 SRH shooting accurately was not a big problem, but shooting quickly sure was. Follow-up shots were tough to place in a timely fashion. It was a peach with .45c loads, but it was a fairly huge and heavy revolver for that kind of ammo.

A 1911 with cast SWCs, FMJs, or maybe 230gr HP loads would probably do the job well while being pretty easy to haul around and shoot quickly. The .357 could be a great choice as well I bet. If you shoot it well, it would put pork on the table just fine.
Old June 8, 2008, 02:20 PM   #4
Hard Ball

I woukd get a .44 Magnum.
Old June 8, 2008, 03:19 PM   #5
Scorch

A 357 Mag will kill a hog quite well. No need to worry about it.
Old June 8, 2008, 04:22 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

A friend of mine is quite happy to hunt them with a .357. Seems to work just fine, looking at his office wall.
Old June 8, 2008, 04:36 PM   #7
45Marlin carbine

your .357 will do fine with heavy slugs. I took 2, one small(100 lb field dressed) and a large 300lb live weight with BP revolver .44 and cast slugs.
Old June 8, 2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Sidetracked

Because it is easy to carry, and I know it well....
I would probably go with my 9mm Ruger P95. 9mm 147 grain FMJs or HPs would be prefered. 124s FMJs would suffice. I'm not saying it would be universally accepted as a good choice for the job, but I wouldn't be afraid to carry it.

.357 Mag would be fine. .44 Mag would be even better.
Old June 8, 2008, 10:28 PM   #9
Fat White Boy

I carry a Ruger Security Six SS in .357 Magnum when I hunt hogs.
Old June 8, 2008, 11:20 PM   #10
phil mcwilliam

357 magnum is enough

I have shot a lot of pigs over the years as pest eradication, riding on a motorcycle with a rifle slung over my shoulder(22-250 or 308) & carrying in a cross draw holster either my 38 super colt govt 1911 semiauto, or my S&W 629 44MAG revolver with 8inch barrel. I would mainly use the pistols for close in encounters, or for finishing off wounded boars. I found the 38 super had enough power to consistantly drop boars if hit properly at ranges up to 50 yards. I also like the controlability of the 38 super for quick follow up shots on charging boars, or mobs of pigs. As the 357 magnum has more power than the 38 super you shouldn't have any problems dropping a boar if hit correctly.I found my 44 magnum a bit cumbersome with the long barrel to quick draw, & there is a noticeable recovery time between follow up shots with the 44 magnum.I also find my 44 magnum extremely loud when compared to a 38 super- something you should check with the 454 casul. Although the 44 magnum is a more accurate & powerful handgun than the 38 super, I found that realistically I did not shoot at pigs any further with either pistol- 50 yards or less accounting for 90% of shots, with 75 yards stretching my capabilities of placing a fatal shot with iron sights. If you've always wanted a 454 casul then go buy one- you sure won't be undergunned. There is something satisfying about hunting with a heavy calibre revolver, but for pigs that may be encountered in mobs, or a charging boar - a semi-auto in 38 super gets my vote.
Old June 8, 2008, 11:25 PM   #11
teeroux

357 is plenty of gun for the hogs.

Pretty much anything in the big-bore range will do but i wouldnt recomend one just for the hogs what you have is plenty.
Old June 9, 2008, 01:04 PM   #12
UniversalFrost

I have a contender with the super 14 barrel that Bellm redid into a .357 max for me. The .357 max chamberin allows you to shoot the normal 357 mag or 38 spcl or go for the big .357 maximum round This is a hog killing rig. Shoot em when they are charging and down they go.

I also carry the same contender with a super 14 barrel in 30/30. Again this is strong pig medicine and will drop a hog that is in a charge towards you.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old June 9, 2008, 01:27 PM   #13
Dusty Rivers

What about a 40 cal semi auto or 45LC

Would a 40 cal work on wild pigs? What type of ammo would work out of the 40 cal?

I also have a 45 LC single action 6 shot ruger. Would that better than the 357 or the 40 cal for carry when fixing fence?
Old June 9, 2008, 02:14 PM   #14
milemission

If you want a .454 Casull, this is the perfect excuse to get one!
Old June 9, 2008, 04:47 PM   #15
W. C. Quantrill

Dusty,

No doubt that the .45 Colt will do in a hog especially with some 250 or 270 grain Keith bullets. I use 270 grain Keiths over max load of Unique. It is a real penetrator and provides intense hydraulic shock . The gristle plate is no match for this load on a normal hog. I have not tried it on a hogzilla yet, but I would not be afraid.

Ted the rocker took out what I'd estimate to be a 350# wounded boar on one of his TV shows recently with a .40 S&W. I dont know what bullet he was using, but my choice would be something on the order of the Hornady 200 gr XTP. It will penetrate and expand to create that terminal performance you need. That is why they call it eXtreme Teminal Performance. I dont get a cent for the advertizing but I have had good luck with these bullets.
Old June 9, 2008, 05:29 PM   #16
Yellowfin

If you could find one at a price you like, a .41 would be very nice for the task.
Old June 9, 2008, 05:34 PM   #17
sureshots

44mag.

44MAG. will do the job.
Old June 11, 2008, 10:50 PM   #18
johnwilliamson062

Wildey .475. Anything less would be suicide(not really, but I want more people to get this absurd gun so I can have a chance to shoot it)
Old June 12, 2008, 04:14 AM   #19
simonkenton

I can tell you that one shot from a 1911 Colt with military ball ammo will kill a 145 pound wild boar.
Old June 12, 2008, 01:05 PM   #20
gadgetguy1288

i just have to ask, why has no one mentioned the 10mm yet? I know a couple guys down here in FL and a few over in TX that wont leave the house on a hike without it, all the benefits of a semi with the power to put em down

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government, or in the case of a zombie outbreak."
Old June 12, 2008, 01:16 PM   #21
T-Ray

Quote:
9mm 147 grain FMJs or HPs would be prefered.
A family friend unloaded all of his 9mm hp's into a hog and the only reason he got away is cause his buddy got to the truck in time to hit the hog before it got to him. there was virtually no penetration with the hollow points. they blew up in the skin and some bounced off. Texas hogs are tough and require fmj if you want to walk away. Hollow points are NOT advised. unless you can get an Oh S%*# shot to get in the eye every time, don't use hollowpoints.

www.texasguntalk.com/forums
Old June 12, 2008, 09:35 PM   #22
BIGR

.357 Magnum will do just fine, but might just be the smallest caliber I would go with.
Old June 12, 2008, 10:04 PM   #23
Swampghost

My preference, which has been proven a few times, is a .44 Ruger SB with the 7-3/4" bll. I carry mine in a custom cross draw, break out, holster with the cylinder just above my hip/belt.

That setup evovled from quick draw shooting. Second best is slung on the thigh and tied. The grip should be where your natural reach is, tieing it down keeps the holster from rising with the pistol. There are 1000 more things for quick draw competition but you're just trying to SYA when hog hunting.

BTW, practice your defense as much or more as your offense, a large wild animal charging you IS challenging.
Old June 12, 2008, 11:52 PM   #24
Yithian

Hmmm...
Accidental Encounters?
You mean kinda like walking the dog and happen upon a feral hog?
As a sidearm, almost concealed carry would be more comfortable for me.
Less weight with a hell of a punch....

I recommend the Bond Arms Derringer in 45LC.
Simple, small, fairly accurate, and will scare the 'urine' outta the dog and the pig.
Easily capable of killing what it hits.
http://www.bondarms.com/ifirearms.php