The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2007, 09:14 AM   #1
jsr76

Barnes bullets for hunting

Good morning. I'm new here but I was wondering if anyone has had experience hunting with Barnes Triple Shock bullets. I'm looking for a load that will work both far and near in a .300 win.mag.
Old April 7, 2007, 09:24 AM   #2
dgc940

Barnes tsx's are usually very accurate and hold together with good weight retention but they are expensive! I use the old time proven nosler partition.
but I would think with a 300 win mag you would not need a magic bullet!
Old April 7, 2007, 09:28 AM   #3
jsr76

Thanks for the input. A partition would do the same thing. You see, my concern is for the bullet to hold together up close, yet expand at longer range.
Old April 7, 2007, 09:41 AM   #4
jsr76

I am just looking for opinions and possible load recipes from people who have more experience than myself with this round. I've been reloading for 10 years and I love it. I hunt in NNY and the shooting can range from a few yards at camp to several hundred on the farmland.
Old April 7, 2007, 01:15 PM   #5
Shoney

jsr76: Welcome to the Forum!

Of my 50 years of hunting, I have used a 300WinMag for 40 years. I have taken game with Hornady, Remington, Speer, Sierra, Winchester, and Nosler Partition bullets. I have taken game up close ( 10-50 yards) with all, and all were like throwing hand grenades if bone were hit.

I have not shot the new generation of Barnes, but with the older ones, I could never get the accuracy I demand. For all around hunting, I prefer the 200 gr Nosler Partition. Whether 5 yards or 500+ it performs very well.

I have a friend who has had exceptional results with the 180 gr Winchester/Nosler CT-Failsafe bullets, you may also wish to consider it. If I were to get a new 300WM, I would certainly work up loads for this bullet.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 7, 2007, 02:09 PM   #6
jsr76

Shoney, thanks for the info. But haven't the CT Failsafes been discontinued? I think the strength factor of the Barnes TSX would be on a par with the failsafes. But, they will have to shoot tight or I won't use them. I have shot bullets from Nosler, Sierra, and Speer. All are quality. I wouldn't rule any of them out if they are accurate, which they are. I just don't want to blow a bullet apart up close. I have a Speer 180 grain Grand Slam load with 76.9 grains of RL-22 that shot .631". I'll shoot it again to confirm it's accuracy. I have some things to do for my beautiful bride but I look forward to hearing from everyone later. Thanks.
Old April 7, 2007, 02:30 PM   #7
sasquatch

The only thing Barnes bullets ever did for me was to give me a serious case of copper fouling. Not sure why that is, but I finally gave up on them.

Over the years, like most handloaders, I have tried many different bullets. My favorite has always been the Nosler partition........it always performs to expectations. But, I see a new one and I just have to give it a try. I always end up going back to those old reliable partitions.
Old April 7, 2007, 03:03 PM   #8
jsr76

I am not a very old man, but when I was in myearly teens in school all I read on my free time were the hunting and shooting books in the library. I wasn't even old enough to hunt big game yet. I still vividly remember the stories told in those books and almost all of them had one thing in common. If the game was big, the story included the Nosler Partition. Back then I knew nothing about bullets, I just read all I could. Could it be that after all these years and new super bullets, maybe I will settle on the bullet I read about as a youth. I also like to play with everything but I am looking to find out which One load will suit me for EVERYTHING.
Old April 7, 2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Pointer

Quote:
On weight retention A partition would do the same thing.
The Barnes will retain 99-100% of it's original mass... and it mushrooms more evenly and penetrates better.

The Partition retains approximately 75-85%. While the Nosler is a very good bullet... the Barnes is better.

I recommend the newest Barnes which is the MRX (Maximum Range X-bullet) available through... cheaperthandirt.com

EDIT... I previously posted the wrong .300 Mag... see new URL for the TRX .300 WinMag.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/11430-176-107.html

They also have components for reloading...

30-06 FOREVER
Old April 7, 2007, 06:37 PM   #10
jsr76

Good call Pointer, I do understand and agree with your above comments. I just meant that the partition was meant to be tougher than a cup and core design. I really do have this crazy desire to shoot the TSX. With it I should be able to use a middle weight bullet and get heavy bullet performance. The reason for the concern on bullet weight is recoil. I'm hoping to cut down on it if possible as I am 5'3" and 140 pounds. I am looking for results and recipes anyone might have for the Barnes TSX 168grainer.
Old April 7, 2007, 07:10 PM   #11
Shoney

Pointer: On 08-21-2006, 02:38 PM, In a discussion of Winchester Failsafe bullets, you posted that
Quote:
I have used the Nosler Partitions for forty+ years...

These last few years, I have switched to the Barnes Triple X because it retains 99-100% of original mass.

The Nosler retains about 65-75%.
Yet today you post
Quote:
The Partition retains approximately 75-85%.
I am confuses by this variance. Could you please quote your source, so that I may read that information on weight retention.

jsr76: Guess since I don't shoot them I am not in touch with their demise, but you are correct, although they are still listed on the Nosler site, other literature confirms they have been discontinued.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old April 7, 2007, 07:35 PM   #12
sasquatch

Quote:
The Partition retains approximately 75-85%. While the Nosler is a very good bullet... the Barnes is better.
I guess my question is..............Just how dead does a critter have to be?
Old April 8, 2007, 12:16 AM   #13
Pointer

jsr76
Quote:
With it I should be able to use a middle weight bullet and get heavy bullet performance.
This is a good idea... I hadn't considered it before...

However, the Barnes is usually a longer Bullet in order to be as heavy as a lead cored bullet... That's why the new MRX will be a very big improvement... It has a bonded alloy core...allowing it to be a little shorter and still be effective... It also has a ballistic style plastic tip...

sasquatch
Quote:
I guess my question is..............Just how dead does a critter have to be?
It isn't the question of how dead... it is a question of how far, and hard it is, to track them after they've been well hit...

Shoney
Quote:
I am confused by this variance. Could you please quote your source, so that I may read that information on weight retention.
I was trying to be extra kind to the Partition... but in fact, I think the retention is probably more like the lesser figure of 65-75%...

As to my source... I have none to refer you too... I'm sorry,,,
I was basing my opinion on my personal experience with that bullet...
It is almost always found still inside the animal and with all but the littlest bit of the front portion of lead gone...

While I have cut a 150 pound buck's legs off just below the shoulder, I have rarely had a NosPart penetrate all the way through a larger Mulie or an Elk, especially if it hit's bone...

With the advent of the new bonding methods, bullets like the Fusion can perform better than the Partitions of old at a much better price...

I apologize for my inconsistency and I hope my explanation will suffice...

30-06 FOREVER

Last edited by Pointer; April 8, 2007 at 10:51 PM. Reason: punctuation and reposition names
Old April 8, 2007, 12:54 AM   #14
dgc940

Pointer I have not found cheaper than dirt to live up to there name
(cheaper than dirt)
I have found midsouth shooters supply and others to be cheaper!

I also am a nosler partition fan but I have also loaded and shot Barnes TSX and the new ones dont copper foul anything like the old ones.
Also Jsr I would think a 300 win mag on deer would kill dead with any premium bullet?
Old April 8, 2007, 05:30 AM   #15
jsr76

Oh,I totally agree that thee .300 is quite large for the animals of New York. I love the rifle and I love the round. Hopefully in the years to come I will have the opportunity to hunt elsewhere for bigger game, then the one load concept would be of real value. By that I mean familiarity with my rig and it's reach. Not a huge deal to people like us who shoot all the time anyway, but handy nonetheless. I've got to go to Easter service. I will check in later. I really appreciate hearing from others who are much wiser and have used so many more components than myself. How about favorite calibers, anyone have any? HA! HA! HA!

Last edited by jsr76; April 8, 2007 at 05:31 AM. Reason: spelling
Old April 8, 2007, 12:22 PM   #16
snuffy

There's no need for an all copper bullet! I will never load a barnes bullet in any of my rifles.

With bonded bullets from a bunch of sources available, at reasonable prices, why the need for 100% weight retention? Sure, the nosler partition will perform with boring, predictable, excellence, do we need anything better?

I've settled on the Hornady interbond as my go-to bullet for whitetail deer. With above 80% weight retention, deep penetration, well over 2 caliber expansion, and massive wound channels what's not to like?

Since I'd rather buy guns and experiment with loading, I'll never get out west to hunt elk or mulies. Maybe my priorities are all messed up, but I'm happy!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 8, 2007, 06:12 PM   #17
Pointer

Quote:
I have found midsouth shooters supply and others to be cheaper!
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/11430-176-107.html

30-06 FOREVER
Old April 8, 2007, 06:39 PM   #18
VaFisher

You may want to try these before you get stuck on the Barnes.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0000330302
Old April 8, 2007, 07:28 PM   #19
snuffy

Quote:
You may want to try these before you get stuck on the Barnes.
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...sku=0000330302
For cryin out loud, don't go to the SST for deep penetration! It is no better, maybe worse than the nosler ballistic bomb---er I mean, tip! Ask me how I know!

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 8, 2007, 10:47 PM   #20
Pointer

Snuffy I'm "listening"... How do you know?

30-06 FOREVER
Old April 8, 2007, 11:06 PM   #21
dgc940

Man Pointer you were dead on nearly 10.00 cheaper at ctd!
Old April 9, 2007, 01:38 AM   #22
snuffy

One or both?

I loaded bt's since they came out. I was noticing a lot of bloodshot, unuseable meat on the deer hit by bt's. The sst is hornadies answer to the nosler bt. Same cup and core bullet, BUT with an interlock ring. And they said it had a tougher jacket.

Sooo I switched my own rifles and the ones I load for in my family to the SST. 30-06, 308, 7mm-08, 7mm mag, .280(2), and a 300 WSM. Several kills that first year, were no different than the bt's. Core jacket seperations, and lots of bloodshot meat.

Now for those that don't mind losing a couple percent of the meat to being bloodshot, I'll say that NONE of those deer went anywhere but straight down!

Here's a 150 pound whitetail buck, hit with a 7 mag 154 gr. SST. Range about 65 yards.

the second pic shows me holding the jacket, the core exited the deer. He was running, so the shot placement was a little too far forward.

But the main subject of this thread was a ? on the barnes bullets. The ONLY reason to go to a barnes is for assured deep penetration. Just about any controlled expansion bullet is going to expand enough to create a wound channel. The plastic tipped bullets will expand at lower velocities, therefore longer ranges than most. Then add bonding to that, you don't have to wory about over-expansion at very close ranges.

So we have the nosler accu-bond, the Hornady interbond, the swift scirooco, and several others. Some say the federal fusion is bonded, it's just a copper plated speer bullet.

Old April 9, 2007, 07:03 AM   #23
VaFisher

Snuffy, Get over it. In your own words and pic's that you show.

Quote:
(Snufft)
But the main subject of this thread was a ? on the barnes bullets. The ONLY reason to go to a barnes is for assured deep penetration.

Don't see where you could get better penetration then what you did with the SST.

He did not ask to do this without messing up the meat. Hell you could run the deer down and stab him with a ice pick if you dont want messed up meat. Like to see that done myself, so when you get pic's please share.
Until then lighten up on everyone a bit, this is not a contest to see who can get the next guy the best.
Old April 9, 2007, 10:44 AM   #24
dgc940

I tell ya what ya do Jsr get you some tsx and a few others set up some jugs filled with water and shoot into them at a 100yds. I dont shoot Barnes any more But I bet they are the only bullet shot into the water jugs that hold in one piece!
Try it with the ballistic tips they will shed the jackets and partially fragment!
Its not a sure fire test but if you find a bullet that holds together when shot into water I promise it will hold together in flesh and bone.
another thing is speed! for hunting you dont need to send them down the tube at 4000 fps for hunting. load them slow and accurate for controlled expansion on a fragile bullet.
Snuffy the picture of the recovered bullet is why I dont like hunting with bt's but when you shoot a white tail with a 7mag damage is a very high possibility.
big bore cannons are not my cup of tea i prefer to be the very best shot i can be with .243 and smaller. Tell me what animal in the lower 48 wont subdue to a well placed shot with .308 and such?
Old April 9, 2007, 11:16 AM   #25
snuffy

Quote:
I tell ya what ya do Jsr get you some tsx and a few others set up some jugs filled with water and shoot into them at a 100yds. I dont shoot Barnes any more But I bet they are the only bullet shot into the water jugs that hold in one piece!
Try it with the ballistic tips they will shed the jackets and partially fragment!
Its not a sure fire test but if you find a bullet that holds together when shot into water I promise it will hold together in flesh and bone.
Like this?

And here's some 165 30 cal interbonds shot into those jugs.

Weight retention in the mid 80%, expansion of over .800 on all three. Penetration was into the third jug.

I tried the ballistic tip,(bt) and the sst in the same weight, velocity and same rifle,(my browning 300 WSM). ALL of them lost their jacket, the only piece of lead bigger than sand was the base, about 25 grains!

Quote:
Snuffy, Get over it. In your own words and pic's that you show.
OIC, I hoped,(thought), he was asking for specific info. Sorry, but I do try to point out misinformation when I see it. As far as what you said, I would have expected that heavier SST to have completely exited a deer of that size. I have no doubt, that if that animal had been at 200 yards, the bullet would have gone clear through.

I switched to the interbond exclusivly in all the rifles I load for in our hunting party. Since then we have NOT experienced the meat loss we were seeing with those fragmenting bullets.