The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 16, 2000, 02:41 PM   #1
11xray

I just got a Colt Single Action Frontier Scout in .22LR.
At the risk of asking a stupid question, can I shoot .22 Magnums in it? If not, then why?
The cylinder walls are 1 millimeter thicker than on my S&W M28-2 Highway Patrolman in .357 Magnum. ( I measured with a micrometer.)
It would seem that if approx. 3 millimeters of steel will contain a .357 Magnum, then 4 should easily contain a .22 magnum.
Am I missing something here? Any information would be helpful. Thank you.
11xray

------------------
Audemus jura nostra defendere
Old February 16, 2000, 04:54 PM   #2
Gunslinger

Like the man said the only stupid questions are the ones we don't ask.
It was common for the Colt single actions as well as others to come with an additional auxillary .22 magnum cylinder. The guns and the cylinders themselves are strong enough to handle the additional pressures of the magnum cartridge. However the long rifle cylinder will not accomodate the magnum cartridge due to the extra length. The chambers simply do not extend deep enough to fit the cartridge.

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Old February 16, 2000, 07:17 PM   #3
motorep

I've got a Buntline Scout that I bought new back in the late 60's. I had the dealer send it back to Colt to be fitted for a 22 mag cylinder. It's had more than a few magnum rounds through it since then, with 0 problems. I'd call Colt's custom shop and see if they can still fit yours for the magnum cylinder.