The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2002, 08:24 AM   #1
CDPshooter

What dies work best for Dillon 650?

I have a Dillon 650 on the way and am wondering as to whether my Lee dies are going to work OK. I have the regular dies and the factory taper crimp. These are for .45 acp.

I have been using a Lee Progressive 1000 and with the step up to a Dillon I am wondering if I should step up to better dies.

I am considering the Dillon, Rcbs and Hornady die sets.

Any experiences?

Last edited by CDPshooter; May 19, 2002 at 10:48 AM.
Old May 19, 2002, 08:42 AM   #2
retiredsgt

Dies

I have the dillon 450. At any rate I have dies from all of the manufacturers. Just be sure your pistol calibe dies are carbide. All of the various dies work well.
Old May 19, 2002, 11:36 AM   #3
Clint Tickler

I made the same leap you're doing. I had all Lee dies for my various calibers and in fact the only non Lee dies I have for my 650 is a set of Dillons for my 45 acp. I thought I'd give em a try but I don't think they are any better. You still will want to put a Lee factory crimp die in station 5. Good luck and congrats on the purchase. I made a lot of good ammo on my 1000 but the 650 is way more fun and less hassle although you'll still be tweaking. That's just the way it is.
Old May 19, 2002, 03:34 PM   #4
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

I'm very enthusiastic about the Dillon dies.

They are designed especially for progressive loading, and have a good chamfer at the mouth. Secondarily, they are set up so that you can adjust the die body in the tool head, but easily remove the liner of the seater and crimp die to clean 'em without having to readjust the die. Really makes things easy when you load a lot of cast and swedged bullets.

As you already have some dies you've been using in your Lee 1000, no reason not to use them, though. Might ry Dillon dies for next caliber you add. I will note, though, that I loaded many thousands of rounds using my old RCBS dies before I tried the Dillon dies. The convenience alone was worth the purchase price, at least to me.

Best,
Johnny
Old May 19, 2002, 03:53 PM   #5
Shoney

There are two big differences between a dillon and a Lee carbide pistol die. The dillon dies are longer and cost almost 4 times the price of a Lee. I cannot tell any difference between the quality of the ammo produced.

Shoney
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 19, 2002, 05:57 PM   #6
cheygriz

I've used many different brands of dies in my 650. The very best BY FAR, are the Redding Pro dies. Thet're less expensive than the Dillon dies, and IMHO, better.

I use the Lee FCD in all loadings for autos. I do not (and will not) use any other Lee dies. I've had two sets or them, and both had a die that had to be sent back to the factroy before it could be used.

Stick with Redding, and you can't go wrong. The Pro series dies are specially designed for progressive reloaders.
Old May 19, 2002, 09:12 PM   #7
ryucasta

I originally went with all Dillon Dies but I found over time that they gave me too many Fat Rounds and that only the Hornady and Lee Dies worked for me in removing the bulge that was created by an unsupported chamber. Attached is an example of one of my 650 Toolheads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9x19toolhead.jpg (69.5 KB, 123 views)

Raul

Scarface/Tony Montana Says:

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old May 20, 2002, 12:19 AM   #8
Archie

Another Dillon 650 / Lee die user.

Including the crimp die.

Ryucasta, I think you have all the major die makers represented, don't you?

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old May 20, 2002, 09:15 AM   #9
ryucasta

Archie,

Just about all of them. The only Dillon die I'm still using is their crimp die.

Raul

Send me here. Send me there. This. That. Nothing you can do to me Harry, Castro didn’t do --- nothing...
Old May 20, 2002, 09:35 AM   #10
Master Blaster

Ryucasta, Where did you get the powder thrower adjustment Knob I see?

Thanks
Old May 20, 2002, 09:57 AM   #11
ryucasta

Master Blaster,

Arredondo Accessories is where I purchased it here's the link http://www.arredondoaccessories.com/...2ib813v51u9504 BTW, Ralph sells the adjustment knob separately for about five dollars.

Raul