The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 1, 2000, 08:22 PM   #1
OkieCowboy

Howdy...
First post here. I would like to know where I can find a pump action riot shotgun in 10 GA. (any brand).
Been looking but cannot seem to find any.

Thanks,
OkieLawman
Old July 1, 2000, 09:55 PM   #2
ctdonath

Gotta ask: why? isn't .75 caliber (12 guage) enough?
Old July 2, 2000, 12:52 AM   #3
Steven Mace

The only 10ga. slide action shotgun I'm aware of in current production is the Browning BPS Magnum. The shortest barrel offered is 24". Do you really need a 10ga. riot shotgun?

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical
Old July 2, 2000, 03:43 AM   #4
house

Might want to check a Shotgun news or a Gun List. Last time i was looking in them i belive i saw 10g shotguns comeing from russia
I dont no the cost. wild guess was about 400$
preaty good for a 10g now about ammo, good luck most store dont even cary that and if they do ammo is preaty darn expencive. better reload.

good luck
house
Old July 3, 2000, 01:24 PM   #5
OkieCowboy

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ctdonath:
Gotta ask: why? isn't .75 caliber (12 guage) enough?[/quote]A 12 guage probly is large enough. I live in a small town where backup is approximatly 12 miles away, if there is a officer out in the next town. In 12 yrs. I have only had to fire 1-round and that was when I was carrying a 357 wheelgun, so I may never have to use the 10 gauage anyway. Unlike the cities, everone knows what we carry, a 10 gauage would just be more of a deturant. I could tell you about several occasions where a shotgun made the difference, or my dog did. I won't go into stories now or I would be here all day. Word would get out that I carried a 10 gauage, and I am good with a shotgun. The only one better than me with a shotgun at the academy was our shotgun instructor.
Old July 3, 2000, 01:54 PM   #6
jthuang

I remember reading a review of the Ithaca Roadblocker during middle school -- I think it was in the 1986 Gun Digest or the 1986 Shotgun Digest. The biggest problem the reviewers encountered was a lack of defensive ammunition for the big 10 bore -- they could only find birdshot, finding 00 or 000 buckshot was practically impossible.

If you've got a ready source of 10 gauge defensive ammunition (or a MEC press ) then you're fine. But you might want to check out the availability of social ammunition before you lay out the cash for a big 10.

HTH,

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old July 3, 2000, 06:24 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

As I recall, the Ithaca only held three rounds,and the design prevented stretching the tube. No input on the Browning pump.And, that sucker might be too heavy to move rapidly.

Since you're concerend about visual effect...

Maybe you should go for a nasty, black, accessorized semi auto 12, with ALL the bells whistles, fuzzy dice and fender skirts. Belt fed would be nice, too(G)...
Old July 4, 2000, 03:27 PM   #8
Cowboy

Agree with OkieCowboy,
In rural areas, where everybody knows you, the mere reputation of a big gun, is deterrent enough, even though it might be just as efective as a 12 Gauge, the psychological factor is there.

Dave McC: The fuzzy dice might work in MD, but here in the South, we do things a little different.

Cowboy

[This message has been edited by Cowboy (edited July 04, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Cowboy (edited July 04, 2000).]
Old July 4, 2000, 03:51 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Last time I looked, Cowboy, the Mason Dixon line was still north of us(G).The kids think Bream filets are what's served for breakfast in Heaven, and shotguns are home owner's insurance plans.

And I got as many Confederate ancestors as Union ones.

Back to the guns...

Something to it, knew a Trooper who packed a blue steel S&W N-Frame 45 ACP revolver, and he had carefully polished the muzzle down to bright metal, on purpose. His theory was that it made it look bigger that way, and served as a deterrent.

Old July 4, 2000, 08:19 PM   #10
Hueco

Here's a 4 gauge pump.
http://www.tennesseeguns.com/firearms.html

Unfortunately, I think the gun's only deterrence would be for you -- not wanting to pull the trigger.

Hueco

Old July 6, 2000, 09:39 PM   #11
Correia

Hueco, that certainly would have a deterrant effect...On killer whales and dinosaurs! What the hell would you do with such a monster! (never mind I'm already starting to think of a few things).
Old July 6, 2000, 10:05 PM   #12
Hueco

As the tale goes...The Russian med units used them to fix displaced shoulders. If a guy suffered one, they'd just have him shoot this puppy on the affected side (front/back)and he'd be alright. Only problem they encountered was that it tended to blow the shoulder through "fixed" and back to the OTHER side...thus re-displacing it. Yup, that's it.

A more practical purpose would be a deck gun for an international boat assuming slugs are available somewhere. I cannot imagine it being shoulder-fired...oh my.

Hueco
Old July 7, 2000, 07:44 AM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I wonder if that 4 gauge has a swivel mount for setting it up on a boat gunnel.
Old July 7, 2000, 07:52 AM   #14
Coronach

Funny. Just looking at the gun, it doesn't look any larger than a 12 or 10 ga. I'm not sure what I was expecting to see, but it just looks like a normal shotgun to me. *shrug*

I do like the line 'ammo available soon!' That alone would deter me from the purchase. A gun with no ammo is a very high-tech club.

Mike

PS on the other hand, I am now officially curious what it would be like to shoot...

------------------
"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old July 7, 2000, 10:32 AM   #15
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

My shop has a Browning 10. Holy crap, that thing's HUGE.

Remember, gents, when you ask "What do you need a cannon like that for," it isn't The Bill Of Needs. I have no practical purpose for a 10-gauge, or a Barrett M82 for that matter, but that isn't the point.

Okie, if you can find a 10-gauge, go for it.
Old July 7, 2000, 01:04 PM   #16
RH

No it's not the Bill of Needs, so if ya want it go get it. Bear in mind, ammo is almost non-existent, practice will hurt like heck, follow up shots might need to be from the belly-up prone position.

I'm not a criminal or a rural trouble maker, but I don't think I'd be any more deterred to know someone had a loaded 10 vs. a loaded 12 at hand. The 12 has universally unquestioned stopping power, firing any number of objects of any size from the shell. If you want something different, something exotic, something to let the locals know you're a bad@$$, go for it. I don't think it adds a bit of psychological or tactical advantage. IMHO, of course.
Old July 7, 2000, 01:26 PM   #17
ctdonath

A 12-guage is about as big as you can get and still be generally useable. Anything larger (10-guage, .50 BMG) is pretty specialized; such items have their place, and you're certainly free to get them (I'm debating the AR-50), but recognize what you're actually going to use it for (home defense? gawking at it?) and get something appropriate.

Actually, a 20-guage is about the max anyone would need; 12-guage just happens to be so popular and still generally useable that it's still a reasonable choice.

A key factor is ammo availability. 12 is very common; 10 is rare. Don't get something that you can't afford to practice with.
Old July 7, 2000, 04:18 PM   #18
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ctdonath:
Actually, a 20-guage is about the max anyone would need[/quote]

Carl, don't make me come over there.
Old July 8, 2000, 05:22 AM   #19
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

In a quieter part of South East Asia, ca 1970, I recall shooting hand thrown clay pigeons with a MM79 grenade launcher with the Buckshot rounds. Any guesses on what the gauge would work out to?
Old July 8, 2000, 02:29 PM   #20
ctdonath

Conneach-
To clarify the point:
"Need" is one thing. "Want" is certainly something else. Neither provides an excuse for anyone to limit someone else's options. I figure I only "need" a 20 guage for defense or hunting, but I'm sticking to my 12 guage 'cuz I WANT to (mmmmm...bigger holes...) and ain't nobody gonna deny me that option.
Old July 8, 2000, 05:51 PM   #21
Correia

Correct me if my calculations are off, but since gauge works out to be the number of lead balls the diameter of the bore it takes to make a pound. (or some such thing) wouldn't that mean that a 4 gauge would be the same as 3 12 gauges dimensions in the diameter at the end of the bore?

Whoa.

I bet ammo, when or if it actually comes is going to cost a lot of $.

------------------
Order your TFL shirts and hats now! www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=37865
Old July 9, 2000, 12:39 AM   #22
Steven Mace

Bore Diameter vs. Gauge

.775" - 10ga.
.730" - 12ga.
.670" - 16ga.
.615" - 20ga.
.550" - 28ga.
.410" - 68ga.

Steve Mace

------------------
After today, its all historical
Old July 9, 2000, 04:56 PM   #23
Mulio Rex

Tula armsworks makes a 4-ga SEMI-AUTO....

Oh yeah...

------------------
Big Guns again
No speakee well
But plain.
--H.C
Old July 10, 2000, 02:01 PM   #24
Correia

Thanks Steven. Thats what I was thinking of.

------------------
Order your TFL shirts and hats now! www.thefiringline.com:8080/forums/showthread.php?threadid=37865
Old July 11, 2000, 08:50 PM   #25
Solitar

I've 10 gauge shells in Winchester SupremeĀ® Double X Magnum 00 Buckshot and Federal Premium P109 in #4 and BB. Any reasonable sources for 10 gauge ammo? Can we reload the hulls from factory ammo? Since factory ammo does not deliver a larger load any faster than factory 3 1/2" 12 gauge, can 10 gauge hulls be loaded somewhat hotter than factory - especially for "cheap" Spanish double built in 1966.