The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 20, 2001, 09:31 PM   #1
ohen cepel

Due to a recent turn of events I have decided I must pursue a suppressed rifle (and pistol).

I know about the tax already.

Any advice, vender or past experience would be great.

Leaning towards a .22 since I really just want it for plinking or maybe for my AR.

Thanks,

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old January 20, 2001, 10:05 PM   #2
PreserveFreedom

Check out http://www.serbu.com

Old January 20, 2001, 10:21 PM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

AWC makes them and cost is around $500 and up, depending on the model. If I'm not mistaken, they also use a threaded mechanism to fasten the suppressor to the barrel on a AR. That would require the use of a preban rifle. That is unless the suppressor is not permanently attached to the barrel.

Robert
Old January 20, 2001, 11:10 PM   #4
cuerno de chivo

the disney version

is this over the neighbor issue in the general discussion? if so, then ignore the nosy busy body.

[Edited by cuerno de chivo on 01-21-2001 at 12:37 AM]
Old January 21, 2001, 12:29 AM   #5
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

1st - This topic is being moved to the Full Auto Forum. While it has to do with a rifle you probably will get more responses over in FA with the Class III Nature of the question.

2nd - I have an AWC Optima Suppressor for my AR. I love it! It works very well with .223, When I put in my .22lR conversion kit it sounds about the same as with a .223. Mostly what you hear is the sonic crack of the bullet leaving the barrel. Now, on the other hand with sub-sonic .22LR's all you hear is the hammer strike and the bullet hitting the steel plate. I've also shot one of AWC's Suppressed Mark II. I want one!

3d - Never mind now.
Old January 21, 2001, 09:39 AM   #6
Robert the41MagFan

add a link to AWC

http://www.awcsystech.com/

Robert
Old January 22, 2001, 05:58 PM   #7
Apeach

Supporessed rifle

Ruger 10/22 rifle and Ruger MK II pistol would probably be the way to go. Integral silencers are fairly common for those two guns, and they are both very fine weapons.
Old January 23, 2001, 08:38 AM   #8
Ponyboy

Screw her.....

If I were you, I would be out looking for a .50 cal machinegun just to piss her off. Not a lot of things a lot louder and easily attainable than a maw duece...

This reminds me of one time I was out at the range shooting my 10/22. This particular range has three different ranges on it, a rifle range, pistol range and a tac range each different lengths with different entrances, side by side but segregated by a big concrete wall. I was the only one on the rifle range and I had just got a new 50rd mag for the Ruger and I was testing it out, slow shots at first then several rapid fire, which is allowed at the range. Anyways, some jackass on the pistol range next door complained that I was making too much noise with my .22 and that it was bothering him. Anyways, he told the new little guy at the range and he came over and told me that I was disturbing other customers and that I would have to stop the rapid fire. Needless to say, I was pissed.

I immediately packed up all of my stuff, put it in the car and went inside the office to rent the M16 and bought 500rds of ammo to go with it. I then went down to the tac range, which is on the opposite side of the pistol range, and began to let out short bursts of full auto fire for the next hour or so. I made sure the door was open and that I was positioned where I could see out and anyone leaving could see in. About 5 minutes after I started shooting the M16 the jackass decided to leave and I waved to him as he left.

Anyways, enough with my rambling, but I still stand by my subject line....Screw her...

Mike