The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2007, 02:02 PM   #1
mgdavis

Setting up my first bench. Two questions.

I finally found myself a decent bench to set up on.

I've got two single stage presses, a RCBS Reloader Special and a Reloader Special 3.

I've got a 505 scale and a Uniflow measure. There's a trickler. There's some sort of priming ram to go with one of the presses. I've also got dies in 7mm Rem Mag, .338, and .22-250.

The calibers that I actually plan on loading are .38, 10mm, .45, and possibly .30-30 and .223.

Items that I still need and/or want are:
Slide Caliper
Tumbler
Priming tool, such as the Lee Autoprime
Bullet puller
Power measure stand
Dies in appropriate caliber.
The various books and manuals recommended in the sticky

1) What am I missing? Is there anything that I really don't need?

2) What would the logical way to set up my bench be? A press on each corner with the powder measure and workspace in the middle? Both presses off to the same side? Would one press be suited to a specific operation better than the other, dictating that it should be set to the left (or right) of the other. I'm right handed, if it makes a difference.
Old September 24, 2007, 03:11 PM   #2
rwilson452

For your rifle stuff you going to need a way to trim cases. the bottle neck cases tend to grow and they need to be trimmed back. This is less of a factor if you neck size only but it's still a factor.

loading trays or blocks of you prefer.

Shell holders note: the Lee autoprime uses a different shell holder than the press.
Old September 24, 2007, 03:35 PM   #3
mgdavis

Quote:
Shell holders note: the Lee autoprime uses a different shell holder than the press.
Thanks for pointing that out. I see that RCBS makes a Hand Priming Tool that sounds like it would work better with my existing equipment.

The case trimmer is the hand-cranked lathe?
Old September 24, 2007, 05:24 PM   #4
rwilson452

Csae trillers can be hand cranked or powered. Some are adaptable for either. I use the Lee case trimmer stuff. Cheap and darn near fool proof. I bought the cutter with the ball handle. in fact I evenually bought a ball cutter for each rifle chambering I use. no need to switch gauges every time I load something different. I chuck the shell holder up in my cordless drill. a gentle pull of the trigger and that case is trimmed. I just remember along with a trimmer you need a chamfer tool to get rid of the sharp edges and burrs. Mine comes from RCBS
Old September 24, 2007, 06:13 PM   #5
mgdavis

Looking at the Lee cutter setup, I think that I do have a case trimmer for .338. I'm pretty certain that I also have the RCBS chamfer tool. It's (barely) visible in the picture at the left corner of the Uniflow box. Truthfully, I'm not overly worried about the rifle cartridges just yet. My main drive at this point is the Glock model 20 that I'm buying in the next month or two. Is there any other equipment that I am lacking to get started with the pistol calibers?

Any pointers on arranging equipment on the bench?
Old September 24, 2007, 08:58 PM   #6
FM12

I'd mount the presses close to the legs to gain the stength of their support.
Old September 24, 2007, 09:14 PM   #7
mgdavis

Is there any reason to mount them on a specific side, e.g. on the right for a right-hander? I don't want to get everything bolted down before finding out that I put the presses in a non-ergonomic position. Looking at pictures it seems like everybody does their own thing, and placement is rather haphazard.
Old September 24, 2007, 10:05 PM   #8
Gbro

You could mount them on a movable base. I used to have my press mounted on a 18"x18" of 1" plywood. it would hook under the counter i used, and i would use the Mrs's sewing machine to anchor it.
Today i have 3 presses mounted on a 8' bench, and one is usually in the way.
I am Rt. handed so i need space to the Rt of each press.

sounds like you will be doing pistol loads, 2 presses are just ideal, but 3 is heaven.
You need shelves, more the better.
Old September 24, 2007, 10:07 PM   #9
Ken O

Your question on if there is anyting you left out..... I have been reloading for 35 years, and I still have an order coming from Midway and others at least once a month. You will never have it all, its "pregnet" hobby.
I have built several benches, and one thing I can say is to make them high enough. The right higth is at your elbows while standing, its gives you the right leverage on the presses, and you can see what you are doing, especially as your eyes age. This advise was given to me when I was young, and I still built my first benches too low, live and learn....
As far as trimmers, I have quite a few, the Lee works as good as any (except the Girard). Now I buy the "X-Dies" from RCBS and no more trimming.
It looks like you are on your way, good luck! Ken
Old September 24, 2007, 10:22 PM   #10
rwilson452

That could be a chamfer tool but I can't be certain. I personally like to crimp pistol ammo as a separate step. I use a Lee factory crip die for that but I do pistol stuff on a progressive press. As to where to mount your press, it's really a personal thing you do need to leave enough working space on each side of the press. for example on a single stage press when you seat your bullets you have your loading block on one side and your bullets on the other. in the end you develop your own syle and rythem. Way back when I did pistol on a single stage press I would use two loading blocks. one to feed the press and one to place the cases in that were finished with that stage of loading. I personally would suggest the Lee 4 die set for pistol stuff. but as your doing it on single stage presses you may decide to seat and crimp in the same step. If you really start feeding that Glock I would wager you will have a progressive press within a year. When you get that urge to buy a progressive press you know your hooked for life reloading. there is no known cure for this disorder.
Old September 24, 2007, 11:19 PM   #11
mgdavis

I'd like to have a progressive, but what you see is what I've got at this point. I'll stick with it for awhile, I've got too many other things to spend money on already.

What if I were to mount one press on either side, a foot or so away from the edge? Sound like a good plan? Should the power measure be central, or to the side and out of the way?

As for shelving, I've got a bit of room to the left of the bench to put up a big shelving unit. Right now there is a kitchen table along the other wall that just collects junk. I can put that to use as additional countertop, or get rid of it and put in yet another shelving unit. I'm not overly worried about running out of storage just yet.
Old September 25, 2007, 06:25 AM   #12
rwilson452

Mounting the press a foot from the right or left edge should be more than enough. I would mount them about 10-12 inches apart on one side or the other and then mount the measure 10-12 inches further along. that will leave one end of the bench free for work space. Having two presses won't speed things up much for pistol but as rifle is done with only two dies it will help there. As you intend to use a hand primer your press operations will stop after sizing while you complete the case prep and priming operations it doesn't really matter a whole lot. If your right handed I would think that mounting your presses on the left side might work better. This would allow you a better reach for other things on the bench with your right hand. The other thing i would do is use some 4X4 or 4X6 and glue it under the edge of the bench where you mount the presses and run bolts completely thru the bench and brace. this will make a much stiffer arrangement. you have a lot of leverage in those presses and there will be some give in your bench. you can use long lug bolts as your presses are going to be mounted more or less pemanently.
Old September 25, 2007, 10:36 AM   #13
mgdavis

Quote:
I would mount them about 10-12 inches apart on one side or the other and then mount the measure 10-12 inches further along.
Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Quote:
The other thing i would do is use some 4X4 or 4X6 and glue it under the edge of the bench where you mount the presses and run bolts completely thru the bench and brace. this will make a much stiffer arrangement. you have a lot of leverage in those presses and there will be some give in your bench.
My bench top is three sheets of 3/4" plywood, screwed together. That's really going to flex?