The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2007, 10:12 PM   #1
poker2112

primer seating

today im loading 223 win. brass and lc 06 brass ........when seating the primer the win. brass seems to be tighter than the lc 06 brass......... im wondering if i swaged the lc brass way to deep? or is that possible....... i know im using the correct rod in the swage........they are flush look good.....or is that the way lc brass is? thanks
Old September 24, 2007, 10:31 PM   #2
rwilson452

Shucks I wouldn't worried about too deep but you may have widened the primer pocket too much. a swag shouldn't be able to go too deep. it is possible to go too deep with a ream. as long is it is tight I wouldn't worry. btw the primer should be just below flush but it is difficult to see this by eye. I suspect athat as long as your "hitting bottom" when you seat the primer you should be OK. Examine your first few cases after you fire them. If you note a lot of blow by around the primer or the primer falls out, you have a problem.

today im loading 223 win. brass and lc 06 brass ........when seating the primer the win. brass seems to be tighter than the lc 06 brass......... im wondering if i swaged the lc brass way to deep? or is that possible....... i know im using the correct rod in the swage........they are flush look good.....or is that the way lc brass is? thanks
Old September 25, 2007, 07:13 AM   #3
Sevens

All my primed cases get the index finger run over them and you can easily tell by feel if the primer is in there properly.

It would be damn near impossible to make the primer cup too deep -- if you widened it too much, you'll know when the primers start falling out or backing out on their own.