The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 23, 2014, 02:26 PM   #1
mattL46

2+ long years stolen firearms are home safe.

Two very long years ago my home was broken in to. 3 rifles were stolen. Plus a few other items. Of the three two were inherited. A winchester M69A in 22LR and a Remington rolling block youth model in 22 short. I went to court Friday for a hearing and was awarded them back. I picked them up from the local PD today. They are in terrible shape after being stored for 2+ years as I anticipated but none the less I have them back. Huge relief and a wonderful day. Now my kids have something to shoot again. Very good feeling. Hopefully this is the right place to post this. If not my apologies.
Old November 23, 2014, 02:32 PM   #2
ZEBRARANGER

Congratulations, glad you got them back. Its not very often they find them. Maybe with a little TLC you can bring them back to good condition.
Old November 23, 2014, 02:43 PM   #3
mattL46

Thank you zebra. I failed to mention I do consider myself very lucky to have actually gotten them back. I know its rare.
Old November 23, 2014, 02:45 PM   #4
jimbob86

I love a happy ending!

Old November 23, 2014, 02:53 PM   #5
mattL46

Thank you for reading Jim.
Old November 23, 2014, 03:03 PM   #6
2damnold4this

I'm glad you got your guns back. How long did the police have them?
Old November 23, 2014, 03:12 PM   #7
mattL46

@2damnold I was burgled in sept of 2012. In nov of 2012 the dummy was caught transporting them. They have had them since mid Nov of 2012. They kept continuing this dirt bags case until he failed to appear for a court date. Then after they formally convicted him in April I noticed they didn't charge him with possession of stolen property or the robbery. So I raised hell and the detective assigned to my case pushed for a release for a lack of charges concerning them. Fast forward to today its finally over. All of that in two full years almost to the day. Sorry for long response.

I'm upset that he will find no trouble in what he did to me but at this point I'm just glad to have them back. Wonderful Oklahoma judicial system.
Old November 23, 2014, 03:27 PM   #8
riflemen

Usually its someone you know, thats the bad part, stealing guns should be a more serious offense... I know a guy who got caught with a few guns after he stole them from a friend of mine {he was also a friend prior to this incident}, nd he didn't get any jail time 24 months probation, guns were all scratched up and took 3 years to get them back, no restitution, nothing.. Then when he brought it up they said he would have to sue him personally for any damages... BS

But anyway, congrats at least you got them back, a lot don't ever see that day, enjoy them and make sure you lock em up...
Old November 23, 2014, 03:34 PM   #9
TXAZ

Matt,
Congratulations, I hope there is some satisfaction and justice in your getting them back.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 23, 2014, 04:10 PM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
Wonderful Oklahoma judicial system.
Bring Back Judge Isaac Parker!
Old November 23, 2014, 04:33 PM   #11
mattL46

Thank you so much gentlemen. My story isn't quite as bad as your friends riflemen. I know it could have been much worse. Lawyers and what not. Jim Bob are you from OK?
Old November 23, 2014, 04:47 PM   #12
357 Python

Glad you got them back. A friend of mine (now deceased) owned a gunshop that was broken into and several handguns were stolen. He eventually got one of them back from N.Y. city. After the Judge released the gun it still took my friend 5 months to get the gun. The Judge was forced to inform the property clerk that a warrant would be issued if the gun did not ship within 48 hours. When my friend got the gun it had been stripped and all parts replaced with worn parts. The gun was in like new condition when it was stolen. The problem that my friend found out was that the NYPD had the same model revolver issued to some of their officers. The rest is only speculation so I won't go there. With your this might be a good time to consider a restoration job on them.
Old November 23, 2014, 04:50 PM   #13
jimbob86

Quote:
Jim Bob are you from OK?
Nope, Nebraska.

Uncle Sam had me working at Ft. Sill a couple of times, years ago ..... had a couple of apartments on the South East side of Lawton ......

I'm just a history buff, especially about the Old West ...... "Oklahoma Justice" had a different connotation once, is all .......
Old November 23, 2014, 05:12 PM   #14
mattL46

Ah I see Jimbob. I say that out of frustration but I do realize its not just Oklahoma. I would have waited a Lil longer for at least a possession of stolen property charge. Oh well. Is what it is. @357 python I also failed to mention the two bolt guns I got back left with magazines and came back without. No telling what happened to them. The one was a beater already old marlin sears and roe buck 22 mag. TACK DRIVER though. The 69 A was in very good shape. It is the most painful to see. The metal on the bbl has several small gouges in it and lots of rust. As well as some bruises on the wood. It left in prolly 90++ percent condition and its back in about 50%. Sad but kids will still enjoy it. Oh well. Thanks folks.
Old November 23, 2014, 08:20 PM   #15
Evan Thomas

It's great that you finally got them back, Matt. But it stinks that they're not in better shape. "Storage" shouldn't do that to anything, much less firearms. But maybe some of that happened before they were stored...
Old November 23, 2014, 08:34 PM   #16
mattL46

@Vanya maybe so. It is a horrible thought of someone other than yourself handling your stuff. Very bothersome feeling. Again glad they are home safe now.
Old November 24, 2014, 10:27 AM   #17
doofus47

yeah, good guys!
Sorry for the damage to your firearms, but I'm glad you got them back.
Unless it was stored at the bottom of a lake, I bet the M69a still shoots like a champ.
Old November 24, 2014, 11:39 AM   #18
mattL46

@doofus I'm sure it will. I'll have to sight it in again. Its the "match" model with the Lyman 57E micrometer rear peep. Before I lost it it would punch out the red all day long at 75 yards. Can't wait. Im lucky that the sights are still on there.
Old November 24, 2014, 11:48 AM   #19
Evan Thomas

Quote:
Its the "match" model with the Lyman 57E micrometer rear peep.... Im lucky that the sights are still on there.
I'm imagining some crook reading this and singing "You don't know what you've got till it's gone..."
Old November 24, 2014, 01:45 PM   #20
mattL46

@Vanya you better believe it. I was hurting pretty bad myself.
Old November 24, 2014, 10:01 PM   #21
armoredman

Quote:
...stealing guns should be a more serious offense...
In California they just downgraded firearms theft to a misdemeanor, basically a criminal traffic ticket.

It's great you got your guns back - did the PD electro pencil numbers on them? A friend got his pistol back from evidence back in the day and the PD had etched a property number in the frame.
Old November 24, 2014, 11:38 PM   #22
Microgunner

I'll add my congratulations on your rifles' recovery and offer my empathy over your ordeal.
Old November 25, 2014, 12:48 AM   #23
Dragline45

Glad you got your guns back even if they were in bad condition. Getting my guns stolen is a constant fear of mine. Believe it or not I don't keep my most expensive guns in the safe, as anyone who broke in would go straight to it, which really isn't the best safe to begin with. I hollowed out my box spring and mounted a steel lock box inside of it. I then put the same type of sheet I would put on a mattress over the box spring. Even lifting up the mattress you would never know it's there.
Old November 25, 2014, 11:03 AM   #24
Armed_Chicagoan

Chicago police will actually engrave an inventory number onto any stolen guns they recover. Hopefully that never happens to mine!
Old November 25, 2014, 01:34 PM   #25
2ndsojourn

In New Jersey, you'll be lucky to even get them back in any condition. But I'm glad for the OP that he got his back, even though they weren't in the best shape.