The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 13, 2009, 02:16 AM   #1
troy_mclure

what % of battle rifles at the range?

last couple of times at the range there was almost 90% battle rifles(AR, AK, mini), over other guns.

after talking to alot of them(and helping with everything from loading mags, to disassembly) the majority had bought theirs after Nov 04 '08.

how do the #s look in your guys area?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 13, 2009, 02:32 AM   #2
hoytinak

99% of the rifles I see at our range is bolt action hunting rifles and blackpowder. I had my converted Saiga at the range the other day and one of the guys came up asking what it was....he'd never seen an AK before. I let him put a couple mags through it and he really enjoyed it. I did see a guy sighting in an AR he at picked up for varmint hunting a couple months ago though.
Old January 13, 2009, 02:46 AM   #3
mav88

just about everygun i see at my range are battle rifles that you mentioned...ar's, ak's, mini's, fn fal's...and other blk rifles. I hardly see bolt actions anymore . I was the only at range one time with a bolt lee enfield and everybody else had their tacticool semi's lol. What can you do?...i say we bring back the bolt actions!!!
Old January 13, 2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Chuckusaret

I also saw an increase in the number of AK's and assult style weapons, mostly foreign made, some good looking and some junk. The average owner had no idea as to how to load, clear or for that matter how to shoot the weapon. The RSO removed several would be AK shooters because of their lack of weapon and range safety knowledge. Very, very scary. I did also see 5 or 6 Minni 14's and a larger number of tactical shotguns. I was very impressed by a demo with a full auto shotgun firing custom buckshot and slugs. I was told it was the forerunner of the AA12.
Old January 13, 2009, 10:52 AM   #5
azredhawk44

I'm seeing about 50% EBR's, 25% pistols and 25% manual action rifles.
Old January 25, 2009, 08:44 PM   #6
RaisedByWolves

Chuck I find a lot of what you posted to be hard to believe.

"The average owner had no idea as to how to load, clear or for that matter how to shoot the weapon."

Seems like Black rifle bashing to me. A 1st time Black rifle owner knows as much as a 1st time deer rifle owner........Not much. Any decent RSO would have spent copious amounts of time informing them about safety BEFORE they ever took a shot.

Old January 26, 2009, 09:23 AM   #7
wogpotter

Perhaps the mistake in that post wasn't the ability level of the EBR owners, but the "average" rating attached to them?
With a lot of first time gun owners buying while they still can there just has to be a lot of intro level owners on the first outing with a new rifle.
This is a golden oppertunity to talk to, help, encourage & develop a huge new gun owner base.

I'd suggest that the "average" rifle owner, EBR or lever action hunter, is probably way better than this. Most can safely load fire & clear the rifle without issues. Some have even gotten the concept of range estimation, windage, and the other shooting skills to a reasonable level. Division like this is in danger of missing this oppertunity to expand ownership by dividing the gun owning community & chasing off prospective new membership.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Moloch

50% Muzzleloader, 30% bolt-action rifles. 10% semi-autos and 10% pistols on friday.
Satureday: 60% bolt-action, 20% muzzleloader, 10% semi-auto and 10% pistols.
Old January 26, 2009, 11:44 AM   #9
noyes

weren't most guns invented for war..........
Old January 27, 2009, 10:15 AM   #10
kraigwy

What Is A Battle Rifle

The M16 I used in south east asia was a battle rifle. The M16 I use today is a target rifle.

The M1 my father used in WWII is a battle rifle, The M1 I use today is a target rifle.

The Model 700 223 I carried in LE was a counter-sniper rifle, today that same rifle is a varment rifle.

Again, what is a target rifle?

Most so called battle rifles ARNT. Same with Assualt Rifles, unless you're using them in combat to assault an objective they ARNT.

We are dealing with terms that do nothing but scare old ladies and give ammo to the anti gun crowd.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 27, 2009, 01:38 PM   #11
devilfrog

Its been pretty split even between the bolts and the semi-autos (including AR, AK, etc) and a couple black powders sprinkled in during the week. On the weekends there are much more of the military style rifles.
Old January 27, 2009, 03:50 PM   #12
TheManHimself

Typically 75-80% of the rifles on the line at my local range on any given day will be semi-autos, except in the weeks leading up to deer season where lever actions and bolties become real common.

Oh, and this little gem is amusing:

Quote:
We are dealing with terms that do nothing but scare old ladies and give ammo to the anti gun crowd.
You say that like it actually matters. What is this, are we gonna try to "win the hearts and minds" of the enemy again? It worked so well last time...

And look at the recent massive waste of tax dollars they called "economic bailouts". Nearly all of the country was against it but they passed it anyway. Even if we could get 90% of Americans to join the NRA, support gun rights, blah blah blah, if the Reds in Washington want to disregard the Constitution, changing the way we talk isn't going to stop them.

The soft war is lost. Just be ready for what comes next.
Old January 27, 2009, 08:11 PM   #13
HAMMER1DOWN

up north where i live we don't have any gun clubs close by but we do have an open range, but most of the time its bolts, and levers but last weekend i went to sight in my AR and there ws a Class III owner with a saw and was just havin a hayday with it. he ahnialated(spelling???) everything on the range he set up. that was pretty cool, (plus i got all types of empty .223 for reloading)