The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 20, 2016, 12:44 PM   #76
Willie D

I don't, maybe I should.

That said, I sometimes use Eezox which contains trichloreethelene. One thing I read from OSHA papers was that using the most common types of latex and nitrile gloves would not prevent the TCE from passing through the rubber and the glove would then hold the chemical against your skin. You exposure was less going bare handed because the TCE would evaporate faster.

Although I don't know how long it takes for TCE to penetrate the gloves so possibly using gloves for a short duration is safer than going bare handed?
Old July 20, 2016, 02:24 PM   #77
Louca

I really wish this had been a poll, but I think the "no" votes would far outnumber the folks who wear gloves.

Yes, I wear disposable nitrile gloves when doing absolutely any cleaning and quite a few steps of reloading. They keep my hands clean, give me a good grip on things I need to hold onto, and keep my skin safe.

I think sometimes people do not like wearing gloves when the gloves are too lose on their hands. I feel that way too, and for that reason, I wear a size that causes the glove to be skin tight. About the only function I lose is the use of my fingernails so I use brushes and picks instead.
Old July 20, 2016, 05:26 PM   #78
zeke

After years of not, now do religiously. If you are cleaning firearms on any type of regular basis, you would be well advised to.
Old July 21, 2016, 12:10 AM   #79
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I'm surprised there aren't more around, due to the probable lower operating costs/risks.
I've run across one lead-free range in this general area, however it was operated by a training organization and was not open to the public.
Old July 21, 2016, 07:37 PM   #80
Ozzieman

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod5769.aspx

I don't wear safety glasses but I do these. Greatest eye wear ever made for people that have reached there 6th decade. My set actually has a 9 VDC battery and twin LED lights.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old August 1, 2016, 11:38 AM   #81
jasmith85

I've recently started trying to wear gloves when I clean my guns. I'd say I'm up at about 75% of the time wearing them.